Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Spells - Shift Spells

1
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Shift Spells are part of Moon Magic. They are single-round polymorphs that allow you to perform a creature’s natural attack for one round, after which your Wizard reverts back to their original form.

Players who are level 98 or higher need to speak to Arkyn Moonblade in the Eclipse Tower to train these spells.


These new spells include:

Death School: Shift Sugar Glider attacks for 380 Death School Damage and adds a ward to the target for -25% to target's outgoing damage and -50% to target's next outgoing heal

Storm School: Shift Piscean attacks for 460 Storm School Damage and steals one pip from target

Myth School: Shift Ogre attacks for 340 Myth School Damage and removes 1 ward and 1 charm from target

Ice School: Shift Dread Paladin attacks for 360 Ice School Damage plus adds one of three possible increases to incoming damage for the target (15%, 30% or 45%)

Life School: Shift Greenoak attacks for 340 Life School Damage and adds a -25% Damage ward to next spell for target plus a +25% Damage blade to next spell for Self

Balance School: Shift Thornpaw attacks for 390 Balance School Damage plus adds +10% Armor Piercing and Accuracy to self

Fire School: Shift Grendel attacks for 115 + 360 damage over 3 rounds plus adds one random accuracy ward (-25%, -45%, -65%) to the target

Please note these Shift Spells were updated on 14 April 2014 to be a lower pip cost, yet a more powerful damage attack.


community@wizard101.com
Historian
Aug 18, 2011
658
They are moon spells, but do they work with power pips?

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
277
Historian
May 06, 2009
633
I really like the new Shift spell and I find it to be a very fun re-invention of the Moon School. However, 4-pips that can't go toward your school seems very high. I would prefer it if the Pip cost fell down to 2 Pips and if a nerf to the spells damage was an order, personally, I wouldn't mind. I think the spell's after effects should shine more than the damage itself. Otherwise, I think this was a very good idea!

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
These spells would be absolutely wonderful if they used power pips. As they are now (using 4 pip slots) they are really not worth the investment. I suggest allowing them to use power pips or releasing a moon mastery amulet for those of us who wish to utilize these spells in battle.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Lowering the pip cost or making mastery for them would make the effects too powerful for the cost. They are cool spells, I think they really need to be looked at more in a team situation.

Explorer
Jul 24, 2011
93
Prince of Shadows on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
They are moon spells, but do they work with power pips?
They don't. Sadly. I read somewhere.

Cole GoldenFlame, Level 37 Pyromancer

Survivor
Oct 04, 2008
38
If their cost could be brought down to effectively 2 pip slots then the storm spell would be severely unfair in 1v1. You could use it every turn if you gained a power pip and stole a power pip, while also preventing your opponent from gaining pips.

Armiger
Mar 18, 2009
2381
Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
Pretty cool spells, i probably won't use them however since it looks like it doesnt use power pips. Question though, will they use your blades? I ask this, because, for example, the storm one is a moon spell that inflicts storm damage. So if I cast it, will it cast as a moon spell and not use storm blades and only storm traps? A bit confusing if anyone knows the answer. If so, that would be a very useful spell to remove weakens without losing your blades.
-Adam Seafist

Survivor
Aug 06, 2012
44
Thunder2Hound on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
Pretty cool spells, i probably won't use them however since it looks like it doesnt use power pips. Question though, will they use your blades? I ask this, because, for example, the storm one is a moon spell that inflicts storm damage. So if I cast it, will it cast as a moon spell and not use storm blades and only storm traps? A bit confusing if anyone knows the answer. If so, that would be a very useful spell to remove weakens without losing your blades.
-Adam Seafist
It will probably use your blades if they match the Damage Type. For example, even though the Hydra spell is Balance, it deals Fire, Ice, and Storm damage, and uses those blades/traps for each of those attacks. Pretty much the only thing the Spell Type is affected by is your character stats- the Damage Type affects which blades/traps to trigger.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Thunder2Hound on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
Pretty cool spells, i probably won't use them however since it looks like it doesnt use power pips. Question though, will they use your blades? I ask this, because, for example, the storm one is a moon spell that inflicts storm damage. So if I cast it, will it cast as a moon spell and not use storm blades and only storm traps? A bit confusing if anyone knows the answer. If so, that would be a very useful spell to remove weakens without losing your blades.
-Adam Seafist
No, blades and traps trigger on damage(example, hydra is a balance spell that does elemental damage, it still uses elemental blades and traps) So using this spell would activate both your storm blades and storm traps.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
seethe42 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Lowering the pip cost or making mastery for them would make the effects too powerful for the cost. They are cool spells, I think they really need to be looked at more in a team situation.
I disagree here, most of these spells are single target so I see limited use in team play. While the effects are powerful the damage is not. Most of these spells are well below the dpp of their respective schools. Couple this with the fact that these spells do not use school specific damage or critical boost and that is a severe drop in power, A drop in power that I believe balances out most of these spells.(Shift Greenoak, and Shift Ogre being possible exceptions).

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Galen Swiftbreeze on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
If their cost could be brought down to effectively 2 pip slots then the storm spell would be severely unfair in 1v1. You could use it every turn if you gained a power pip and stole a power pip, while also preventing your opponent from gaining pips.
It is already established by Celestial Calendar that you destroy a power pip but only gain a white pip in return. This limits spam options(along with it's relatively weak damage).

Historian
May 06, 2009
633
Thunder2Hound on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
Pretty cool spells, i probably won't use them however since it looks like it doesnt use power pips. Question though, will they use your blades? I ask this, because, for example, the storm one is a moon spell that inflicts storm damage. So if I cast it, will it cast as a moon spell and not use storm blades and only storm traps? A bit confusing if anyone knows the answer. If so, that would be a very useful spell to remove weakens without losing your blades.
-Adam Seafist
The spells will use your blades and traps. If looking at it as a Moon spell is difficult for you, then look at Balance's Spectral Blast, Chimera, and Hydra spells. They're balance spells, but deal off school damage.

Spectral Blast is a Balance spell but will use traps and blades to Fire, Ice, or Storm.
Hydra is a Balance spell but will use traps and blades of Fire, Ice, and Storm
Chimera is a Balance spell but will use traps and blades of Death, Life, and Myth.

See what I'm saying? The new Moon spells are no different. They will use traps and blades that correlate to their school damage.

Historian
May 06, 2009
633
seethe42 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Lowering the pip cost or making mastery for them would make the effects too powerful for the cost. They are cool spells, I think they really need to be looked at more in a team situation.
I can see your point. 2 pips to do 310 damage and destroy an oppontent's Charms and Wards is overpowered. And I'm not crazy about a Moon Mastery Amulet because it would only be useful for these spells. If there were more Shift spells, I could probably see reason but for now, no.

But what about at least dropping it to 3 pip cost? I'm mainly looking to see how effective these spells will be once you get them in hand. Of course, it would be better on my part to at least test them once I get to Level 98. Maybe 4 pips wouldn't be too bad. But we should at least see all the options.

I'd also like to see how they work in a group. The Moon school was originally designed for Group-play and these ones look like they stand stronger in Solo. We'll have to see.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Thunder2Hound on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
Pretty cool spells, i probably won't use them however since it looks like it doesnt use power pips. Question though, will they use your blades? I ask this, because, for example, the storm one is a moon spell that inflicts storm damage. So if I cast it, will it cast as a moon spell and not use storm blades and only storm traps? A bit confusing if anyone knows the answer. If so, that would be a very useful spell to remove weakens without losing your blades.
-Adam Seafist
I would say that yes they would use traps and blades, just like Hydra and Chimera are Balance School but they deal other school damage. The damage type of the spell determines blade and trap use currently. Dispels and power pips are the only thing that matter for spell type.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
Professor Greyrose on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Shift Spells are part of Moon Magic. They are single-round polymorphs that allow you to perform a creature’s natural attack for one round, after which your Wizard reverts back to their original form.

Players who are level 98 or higher need to speak to Arkyn Moonblade in the Eclipse Tower to train these spells.


These new spells include:

Death School: Shift Sugar Glider attacks for 380 Death School Damage and adds a ward to the target for -25% to target's outgoing damage and -50% to target's next outgoing heal

Storm School: Shift Piscean attacks for 460 Storm School Damage and steals one pip from target

Myth School: Shift Ogre attacks for 340 Myth School Damage and removes 1 ward and 1 charm from target

Ice School: Shift Dread Paladin attacks for 360 Ice School Damage plus adds one of three possible increases to incoming damage for the target (15%, 30% or 45%)

Life School: Shift Greenoak attacks for 340 Life School Damage and adds a -25% Damage ward to next spell for target plus a +25% Damage blade to next spell for Self

Balance School: Shift Thornpaw attacks for 390 Balance School Damage plus adds +10% Armor Piercing and Accuracy to self

Fire School: Shift Grendel attacks for 115 + 360 damage over 3 rounds plus adds one random accuracy ward (-25%, -45%, -65%) to the target

Please note these Shift Spells were updated on 14 April 2014 to be a lower pip cost, yet a more powerful damage attack.
These spells are quite useless given that they cannot be used with power pips. Great idea just bad execution. These spells should be re-released as school specific spells so that people will actually feel the need to use them.

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
71
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I can see your point. 2 pips to do 310 damage and destroy an oppontent's Charms and Wards is overpowered. And I'm not crazy about a Moon Mastery Amulet because it would only be useful for these spells. If there were more Shift spells, I could probably see reason but for now, no.

But what about at least dropping it to 3 pip cost? I'm mainly looking to see how effective these spells will be once you get them in hand. Of course, it would be better on my part to at least test them once I get to Level 98. Maybe 4 pips wouldn't be too bad. But we should at least see all the options.

I'd also like to see how they work in a group. The Moon school was originally designed for Group-play and these ones look like they stand stronger in Solo. We'll have to see.
I like the idea of raising the pips option to 5 or 6, but allowing power pips from any class. I say this, because as a storm, i'd just spam this all day in pvp due to the affect. The storm one steals a pip, so casted in pvp, it would steal a power pip, and do damage. If this is the case, I'd steal a power pip, and gain a power pip next turn, and essentially be able to use this spell every single turn while my opponent would never gain any more pips as I would keep stealing them.
-Adam Seafist

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
Thunder2Hound on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
I like the idea of raising the pips option to 5 or 6, but allowing power pips from any class. I say this, because as a storm, i'd just spam this all day in pvp due to the affect. The storm one steals a pip, so casted in pvp, it would steal a power pip, and do damage. If this is the case, I'd steal a power pip, and gain a power pip next turn, and essentially be able to use this spell every single turn while my opponent would never gain any more pips as I would keep stealing them.
-Adam Seafist
This just proves the spells would need tweaking if they were re-released to use power pips from your school.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
I think Professor Greyrose used the wrong term. A ward is something like a shield or a trap. A spell that puts a -45% accuracy ward doesn't make sense? I think the correct term would've been charm, which is something like a stormblade and weakness.

Hero
Dec 16, 2009
773
Thunder2Hound on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
I like the idea of raising the pips option to 5 or 6, but allowing power pips from any class. I say this, because as a storm, i'd just spam this all day in pvp due to the affect. The storm one steals a pip, so casted in pvp, it would steal a power pip, and do damage. If this is the case, I'd steal a power pip, and gain a power pip next turn, and essentially be able to use this spell every single turn while my opponent would never gain any more pips as I would keep stealing them.
-Adam Seafist
People seem to be confused about how the steal pip effect works. The steal Pip destroys one of your opponents pips and gives you a white pip in return. Thus, you won't have much success spamming this spell even if you tried. Couple that with the fact that it does far less than kraken and I don't see it being spammed. Don't get me wrong it is an awesome utility with a lot of potential but you will not be able to lock out an enemy even with a mastery amulet.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
66
bran4971 on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
These spells are quite useless given that they cannot be used with power pips. Great idea just bad execution. These spells should be re-released as school specific spells so that people will actually feel the need to use them.
Well if you don't have a myth mastery, you can be getting an earthquake type spell for less TP investment, and less pip cost.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
2
Professor Greyrose on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Shift Spells are part of Moon Magic. They are single-round polymorphs that allow you to perform a creature’s natural attack for one round, after which your Wizard reverts back to their original form.

Players who are level 98 or higher need to speak to Arkyn Moonblade in the Eclipse Tower to train these spells.


These new spells include:

Death School: Shift Sugar Glider attacks for 380 Death School Damage and adds a ward to the target for -25% to target's outgoing damage and -50% to target's next outgoing heal

Storm School: Shift Piscean attacks for 460 Storm School Damage and steals one pip from target

Myth School: Shift Ogre attacks for 340 Myth School Damage and removes 1 ward and 1 charm from target

Ice School: Shift Dread Paladin attacks for 360 Ice School Damage plus adds one of three possible increases to incoming damage for the target (15%, 30% or 45%)

Life School: Shift Greenoak attacks for 340 Life School Damage and adds a -25% Damage ward to next spell for target plus a +25% Damage blade to next spell for Self

Balance School: Shift Thornpaw attacks for 390 Balance School Damage plus adds +10% Armor Piercing and Accuracy to self

Fire School: Shift Grendel attacks for 115 + 360 damage over 3 rounds plus adds one random accuracy ward (-25%, -45%, -65%) to the target

Please note these Shift Spells were updated on 14 April 2014 to be a lower pip cost, yet a more powerful damage attack.
so will there be new kinds of mastery amulets for moon school???

Logan hawkrider level 95

Historian
May 06, 2009
633
You know, what if instead of asking for a school Power Pip allowance usage, re-release, pip cost decrease, or Moon Mastery amulet, KI just severely increases all of the spells damage and after effect to make casting the spell worth 4 pips. So where all the spells are between a range of 250-350, maybe now it could be 550-675 and the after effects get a major boost. Here's what I mean:

Storm School: Shift Piscean
650Damage and Steal 2 Pips from target

Fire School: Shift Grendel
95+580Damage over 3 rounds and a random choose of -35, -55, or -75 accuracy

Ice School: Shift Dread Paladin
570Damage and a random choose of +30%, +45%, or +60% incoming damage on target

Balance School: Shift Thornpaw
590Damage and +10% Pierce Charm and +10% Accuracy to self

Death School: Shift Suger Glider
580Damage and -35% Outgoing Damage Charm and -65% Outgoing heal on target

Life School: Shift Greenoak
550Damage and -35% Outgoing Damage Charm to Target and +45% Outgoing Damage Charm to Self

Myth School: Shift Ogre
610Damage and Remove all Charm and Ward from Target

If the spells were more powerful (either this powerful or just a little below it) then I think it would be worth paying 4 pips rather than decrease the pip cost, allowing power pip usage, adding a Moon Mastery Amulet or re-releasing. Just a thought.

1