Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Feature - Shadow-Forged Weapons

1
AuthorMessage
Administrator
Why should pets have all the fun? Now there are weapons called Shadow-Forged Weapons that have their own "May Cast" spells!

You can Craft these weapons or if you're very lucky, you can get them as rewards from duels. Look for these Promethean Crafter recipes from Azealia the ArmsMaster in Sardonyx after you complete the Khrysalis quest "Price of the Blade". You must be level 95 or higher to equip these items.

Just like "May Cast" spells on pets when it comes to Shadow-Forged Weapons:
  • there's only a chance your weapon will cast a spell
  • spells cast by your weapon do not use your Pips, but they will trigger traps, blades, shields and wards
  • these spells may cast during your turn, your opponent's turn or during a teammate's turn
  • Unlike May Cast spells on pets:
  • To indicate that a spell is being cast by a Shadow-Forged weapon, there will be text similar to a boss cheat taunt that states "Weapon Cast".


community@wizard101.com
Historian
Aug 18, 2011
658
I'd much rather have weapons with better and more varied stat combinations and fewer cards or more useful ones. How about high level wands like the Hammer of the Stone Sky & Sidhe Staff?

Less randomness in the game please, not more.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
Prince of Shadows on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
I'd much rather have weapons with better and more varied stat combinations and fewer cards or more useful ones. How about high level wands like the Hammer of the Stone Sky & Sidhe Staff?

Less randomness in the game please, not more.
I agree. It's becoming too convoluted to play at the higher levels now. I don't want to spend several rounds building up my traps and blades, only to have a MC spell that completely wipes everything out. I think the new wand (if it looks cool) will be stitched and not used for what it's intended ...... but, I will wait and see what it is and what type of MC spell it has. Who knows.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2008
14
I am not sure how I feel about these weapons if they can trigger your blades and traps as it could be a huge detriment as opposed to a help (depending on the spell cast). Non offensive spells would be better in my opinion such as blades, traps, heals, shields ect.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
597
Back to the drawing board on this please. May-cast Rebirth is very OP even if the cast rate is low. No sane player wants may-cast attacks, especially single target. The stats on the wands are bad. It's a fun idea, but these are unbalanced as they are.

I like the wand Morganthe drops that has two traps (Shadow's Point) but why only 10%? and why typical level 50 block and crit on a level 95+ wand? At least that may-cast is one we always want (weakness, not attack) but these all need more work.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
212
I think weapons that may cast spells are a great idea. Since we don't even know what kind of spells they will cast yet, don't knock 'em until you've seen what they can do. And if you don't like them, don't use them. They will be a crafted or rare-drop item anyway, so only Promethean crafters and the lucky will get them.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
6
Before the PvP community wrecks YET another spell, in this case a may cast, for the school of Life - how about you reconsider what you mean when you say OP to may cast rebirth, while bearing in mind that the text on the card is a downsized heal (a mere 400 - the same as a fairy~and the absorb only a 300 one) While also taking into consideration that may casts abilities are not subjected to activate anyone's criticals.

Also, Life is a healing class. They get no stun abilities, only a single damage to all spell, and a single damage over time spell, which can easily be counteracted by the very available 0 pip triage in a convenient treasure card format.

That having been said, the Life Amulet allows any of the other classes to use ALL of Life's spells, and no one gripes in the name of "tc noob" when someone uses a life school specific spell a.k.a. Rebirth in PvP. (Did I mention that the heal on a tc rebirth is 800 versus the actual spell's heal of 650? not to mention the absorb in a treasure card Rebirth is 450, in comparison to 400 from a REAL one)

Now lets talk Pets - short of Satyr and Dryad, pets have the may cast abilities that use the 3 base heals any life wizard would pack - If you want to get technical, we can throw in Minor Healing with the 2 spells mentioned above. Thats not to say that Life is falling to the wayside and is no longer a tangible component of a winning PvP strategy.

Lastly - lets address Shadow Magic. Since we've already established that the 400 heal of the may cast rebirth is clearly no biggie, perhaps your concerns of the ability being OP lay in the little absorb shield that gets part and parceled with this ability. Well.. remind me again what the after effect of the Shadow Seraph is Thats right everyone gets a little 100 Absorb to call their very own, each time the user heals. Since so many of you enjoy that life amulet, a wall of 100 damage absorbs is easy to amass.

So tell me o wise PvP community - how is this ability OP

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
13
RavynShadows on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Before the PvP community wrecks YET another spell, in this case a may cast, for the school of Life - how about you reconsider what you mean when you say OP to may cast rebirth, while bearing in mind that the text on the card is a downsized heal (a mere 400 - the same as a fairy~and the absorb only a 300 one) While also taking into consideration that may casts abilities are not subjected to activate anyone's criticals.

Also, Life is a healing class. They get no stun abilities, only a single damage to all spell, and a single damage over time spell, which can easily be counteracted by the very available 0 pip triage in a convenient treasure card format.

That having been said, the Life Amulet allows any of the other classes to use ALL of Life's spells, and no one gripes in the name of "tc noob" when someone uses a life school specific spell a.k.a. Rebirth in PvP. (Did I mention that the heal on a tc rebirth is 800 versus the actual spell's heal of 650? not to mention the absorb in a treasure card Rebirth is 450, in comparison to 400 from a REAL one)

Now lets talk Pets - short of Satyr and Dryad, pets have the may cast abilities that use the 3 base heals any life wizard would pack - If you want to get technical, we can throw in Minor Healing with the 2 spells mentioned above. Thats not to say that Life is falling to the wayside and is no longer a tangible component of a winning PvP strategy.

Lastly - lets address Shadow Magic. Since we've already established that the 400 heal of the may cast rebirth is clearly no biggie, perhaps your concerns of the ability being OP lay in the little absorb shield that gets part and parceled with this ability. Well.. remind me again what the after effect of the Shadow Seraph is Thats right everyone gets a little 100 Absorb to call their very own, each time the user heals. Since so many of you enjoy that life amulet, a wall of 100 damage absorbs is easy to amass.

So tell me o wise PvP community - how is this ability OP
Just to save you some time and effort here..

You're never going to convince a PvP player that a MayCast heal is a great addition to PvP. In a PvP match, your job is to Control things - yourself first, and through that your opponent. So anything that randomly changes the landscape of the battle runs counterpoint to the goals of a PvP player. This is not a productive line of discussion, and it likely never will be.

I don't think the wand is anything near OP. I don't expect to even see it used in high level PvP because people are not going to want to give up their Critical Block wands for a chance at an occasional 400HP heal. Some people may assume it's incredibly powerful and attempt to use it, but they will likely change their minds after being smacked around by a few good Criticals.

Regards,
A member of the PvP Community

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
658
Errol Everhart on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
I think weapons that may cast spells are a great idea. Since we don't even know what kind of spells they will cast yet, don't knock 'em until you've seen what they can do. And if you don't like them, don't use them. They will be a crafted or rare-drop item anyway, so only Promethean crafters and the lucky will get them.
Um, we know exactly what they can do. We've seen them in test realm. It is a fun idea, but needs refinement.

Most players do not want random may-cast damage spells. We want buffs, debuffs, auras, heals & stat boosts. Look at the may-cast talents that are popular on pets - disarm & enfeeble, dragon and balance blades, tower shield, various aurae - and the stronger heals. No one is going after cloud of bugs or the ice attack. Having a single target attack go off at random is worse than useless.

There is a thread on 101Central (in feedback) that suggests some better may-cast abilities & more appropriate stats. I'd like accuracy rather than pierce, but otherwise agree with that poster. I like the idea of having both an offensive and defensive wand option. They should have reasonable block +/or crit to be worth considering.

Armiger
Mar 18, 2009
2381
Nexius on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about these weapons if they can trigger your blades and traps as it could be a huge detriment as opposed to a help (depending on the spell cast). Non offensive spells would be better in my opinion such as blades, traps, heals, shields ect.
Luckily, they don't appear to be school restrictive. So a player running two separate schools could probably get more value in having an off school may cast attack spell and not have issues losing their own school blades and traps.

Historian
May 06, 2009
632
Professor Greyrose on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Why should pets have all the fun? Now there are weapons called Shadow-Forged Weapons that have their own "May Cast" spells!

You can Craft these weapons or if you're very lucky, you can get them as rewards from duels. Look for these Promethean Crafter recipes from Azealia the ArmsMaster in Sardonyx after you complete the Khrysalis quest "Price of the Blade". You must be level 95 or higher to equip these items.

Just like "May Cast" spells on pets when it comes to Shadow-Forged Weapons:
  • there's only a chance your weapon will cast a spell
  • spells cast by your weapon do not use your Pips, but they will trigger traps, blades, shields and wards
  • these spells may cast during your turn, your opponent's turn or during a teammate's turn
  • Unlike May Cast spells on pets:
  • To indicate that a spell is being cast by a Shadow-Forged weapon, there will be text similar to a boss cheat taunt that states "Weapon Cast".
I have to say, I really like the concept of Shadow-Forged Weapons, but the presentation and actual wands is severely underwhelming. As many players have already pointed out, random single hit spells are not effective as they have the possibility of using planned Blades and Traps.

It was also my understanding that the Shadow-Forged Weapons would "may cast" traps, blades, shields, debuff charms, ect as the update notes had said. None of the crafted Shadow-Forged Weapons do so. I don't feel it's a good trade-off for a drop in Crit., Block., and Wand Hits for a random "may cast".

I think there should be a fair balance of Crit and Block (ranging from 25-75 rating), Wand Hits (3 cards is fair) and an assortment of small stats would really make the wands worth crafting and using. Here are my suggestions on each of them. Also let me commend you on providing a Heal and Damage themed wand for Life. That was a good move. Colors in red are my suggestions while black is what is currently in Test Realm:

Root of Spring
+6% Power Pip Chance
+25 Crit.
+35 Block
+15% Outgoing
+10% Incoming
+1 Power Pip
Give 3 Minor Blessing Cards (65)
Give 2 Brilliant Light Cards
MayCast Rebirth spell

Dawn of The Reaping Season
+6% Power Pip Chance
+2% Pierce
+3% Accuracy
+4%Dmg
+34Crit.
+20Block
+1 Power Pip
Give 3 Ultra Rage Cards (140Dmg)
Give 2 Life Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Life Blade Spell

Fragment of a Dream
+5% Power Pip Chance
+3% Pierce
+5%Dmg
+3%Accuracy
+53Crit.
+39Block
+1 Power Pip Chance
Gives 3 Ultra Blitz Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Myth Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Blinding Light Spell

Heart of Darkness
+5% Power Pip Chance
+3%Accuracy
+3% Pierce
+5%Dmg
+48Crit.
+39Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Torment Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Death Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Virulent Plague Spell

Lost Horizon
+4% Power Pip Chance
+6% Pierce
+3% Accuracy
+7%Dmg
+59Crit.
+24Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Jolt Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Storm Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Cleanse Charm Spell

Heart of Ember and Ash
+4% Power Pip Chance
+3% Accuracy
+4% Pierce
+6% Dmg
+54Crit.
+27Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Blaze Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Fire Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Smoke Screen Spell

Soul of Winter
+7% Power Pip Chance
+2% Pierce
+3% Uni. Resistance
+3%Dmg
+3%Accuracy
+39Crit
+58Block
+ 1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Artic Sting Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Ice Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Tower Shield Spell

Scales of Time
+6% Power Pip Chance
+3% Pierce
+3%Accuracy
+4%Dmg
+43Crit.
+42Block
+1 Power Pip Chance
Gives 3 Ultra Burst Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Hex Cards (+20% Dmg)
MayCast Bladestorm Spell

They're all just suggestions to the existing Shadow-Forged Weapons. I think chances somewhere along these lines would make the spells more desirable to have.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
597
Nice ideas except I don't ever want more than 4 cards total on a wand and want the damage to be opposite school not same. Your stats are good.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I have to say, I really like the concept of Shadow-Forged Weapons, but the presentation and actual wands is severely underwhelming. As many players have already pointed out, random single hit spells are not effective as they have the possibility of using planned Blades and Traps.

It was also my understanding that the Shadow-Forged Weapons would "may cast" traps, blades, shields, debuff charms, ect as the update notes had said. None of the crafted Shadow-Forged Weapons do so. I don't feel it's a good trade-off for a drop in Crit., Block., and Wand Hits for a random "may cast".

I think there should be a fair balance of Crit and Block (ranging from 25-75 rating), Wand Hits (3 cards is fair) and an assortment of small stats would really make the wands worth crafting and using. Here are my suggestions on each of them. Also let me commend you on providing a Heal and Damage themed wand for Life. That was a good move. Colors in red are my suggestions while black is what is currently in Test Realm:

Root of Spring
+6% Power Pip Chance
+25 Crit.
+35 Block
+15% Outgoing
+10% Incoming
+1 Power Pip
Give 3 Minor Blessing Cards (65)
Give 2 Brilliant Light Cards
MayCast Rebirth spell

Dawn of The Reaping Season
+6% Power Pip Chance
+2% Pierce
+3% Accuracy
+4%Dmg
+34Crit.
+20Block
+1 Power Pip
Give 3 Ultra Rage Cards (140Dmg)
Give 2 Life Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Life Blade Spell

Fragment of a Dream
+5% Power Pip Chance
+3% Pierce
+5%Dmg
+3%Accuracy
+53Crit.
+39Block
+1 Power Pip Chance
Gives 3 Ultra Blitz Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Myth Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Blinding Light Spell

Heart of Darkness
+5% Power Pip Chance
+3%Accuracy
+3% Pierce
+5%Dmg
+48Crit.
+39Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Torment Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Death Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Virulent Plague Spell

Lost Horizon
+4% Power Pip Chance
+6% Pierce
+3% Accuracy
+7%Dmg
+59Crit.
+24Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Jolt Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Storm Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Cleanse Charm Spell

Heart of Ember and Ash
+4% Power Pip Chance
+3% Accuracy
+4% Pierce
+6% Dmg
+54Crit.
+27Block
+1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Blaze Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Fire Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Smoke Screen Spell

Soul of Winter
+7% Power Pip Chance
+2% Pierce
+3% Uni. Resistance
+3%Dmg
+3%Accuracy
+39Crit
+58Block
+ 1 Power Pip
Gives 3 Ultra Artic Sting Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Ice Trap Cards (+20%)
MayCast Tower Shield Spell

Scales of Time
+6% Power Pip Chance
+3% Pierce
+3%Accuracy
+4%Dmg
+43Crit.
+42Block
+1 Power Pip Chance
Gives 3 Ultra Burst Cards (140Dmg)
Gives 2 Hex Cards (+20% Dmg)
MayCast Bladestorm Spell

They're all just suggestions to the existing Shadow-Forged Weapons. I think chances somewhere along these lines would make the spells more desirable to have.
These ideas are great but they seem to still be missing the defining point of a wand which is critical and block and these new ideas, while they are an improvement still need block and a little more critical to work

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
221
Yay!

Amber Raven Song, MaxWarlord

Survivor
Dec 09, 2012
24
just wanna add that from my own testing (and what other wizard said) it seems like the wands will cast (and will only cast) when you use the trap that is on the wand. I am not sure if it is a bug or its intended to be this way

Survivor
Apr 06, 2012
27
yea took me 48 hours to collect regents and weapons only cast the spells when you use the traps not really worth it plus you give all your critical and block thats my opinion

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
35
I have been testing the rebirth Shadow Forged weapon and it has never crafted for the bast 5 days, I have not stopped using it, the only way to make it cast is using the guiding light card, I am sorry professor, but I am EXTREMELY dissapointed in these wands, don't know why I wasted my reagents in them.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2011
3
Professor Greyrose on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Why should pets have all the fun? Now there are weapons called Shadow-Forged Weapons that have their own "May Cast" spells!

You can Craft these weapons or if you're very lucky, you can get them as rewards from duels. Look for these Promethean Crafter recipes from Azealia the ArmsMaster in Sardonyx after you complete the Khrysalis quest "Price of the Blade". You must be level 95 or higher to equip these items.

Just like "May Cast" spells on pets when it comes to Shadow-Forged Weapons:
  • there's only a chance your weapon will cast a spell
  • spells cast by your weapon do not use your Pips, but they will trigger traps, blades, shields and wards
  • these spells may cast during your turn, your opponent's turn or during a teammate's turn
  • Unlike May Cast spells on pets:
  • To indicate that a spell is being cast by a Shadow-Forged weapon, there will be text similar to a boss cheat taunt that states "Weapon Cast".
where can i find the quest? i have finished sardonyx and i have not seen where i can do this? please help. thanks. -SkullHunter

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
darkshadowjg93 on May 3, 2014 wrote:
where can i find the quest? i have finished sardonyx and i have not seen where i can do this? please help. thanks. -SkullHunter
You still have a while to go. You need to rescue the blacksmith in the Hive first.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2014
1
  • It would be helpful if the shadow-forged weapons could be used at a low level, around 20 or so. But i think that the wands should give the stats like fairy friend, and resistance. It'd be very helpful and fun to see.
  • The shadow-magic in the game is amazing at the moment,
  • The bubble for storm, it helps me out A LOT! It was a GREAT addition to the game. All the new spells that kingsisle has made for the game is very amazing to see.
You guys working at kingsise should keep up the very good work, and never stop! LOL.\
Thanks for bringing out the new world.
Liam StormGem lvl 98 storm

Survivor
Feb 24, 2011
3
seethe42 on May 4, 2014 wrote:
You still have a while to go. You need to rescue the blacksmith in the Hive first.
ok great, i am in the hive now so i should be a lot close, thanks :)

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
60
my only problem with the wands are that they are no trade like seriously i understand that on the sword of kings and obviously should be no auction but no trade between my characters ?! thats messed up thats what should get fixed i should be able to trade it with myself at least fix ASAP! ty

Survivor
Jan 17, 2009
2
I think that its cool but it would be better if we could add shadow forge to the weapons we a already have. I know that people especially me want shadow forged weapons and the same weapon they have now so why not both am I right? I know that it would take out the sense in having the weapons we just were introduced to but it would be even more fun with them if we can do that and choose what we want it to may cost but every time you do it it should be like 250k that way its fair for people who have not crafted to khrysalis level and everyone can have fun. This may not get through cause its a lot to ask but I hope you think about it.

Katherine Summerglade 100 Exalted Child Of Light and Shadow

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
5
Anyone else is feeling the may cast rate of this weapons is too low? i only have 2 of these shadow forged weopen and yet i feel the may cast is only activated when i use the wand's non-selfcasting cards, (Ex Curse casted by wizard so that wand may cast weakness.
-Sarah Jadeshard Exalted wizard

Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
1
darkshadowjg93 on May 3, 2014 wrote:
where can i find the quest? i have finished sardonyx and i have not seen where i can do this? please help. thanks. -SkullHunter
once you beat lord ombra in the hive, you will see her in sardonyx

1