Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Uneven Damage AoE Spells?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 01, 2018
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why my AoE Spells do uneven Damage to each enemy? The initial hit for the enemies even when they have zero protection is all different. The enemy in the first spot usually has the most damage taken off but the second always has about half the damage taken? I'm fire so whenever I use Dragon, the DoT part can sometimes vary as well? This only started when I got to Karamelle so I was wondering if it was a new mechanic or a glitch? It makes it very hard to kill the enemies and very frustrating.

Also bare in mind I just restarted playing about three days ago after almost a year off so I'm just getting back into things.

Thanks!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Quilflame101 on Oct 24, 2021 wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why my AoE Spells do uneven Damage to each enemy? The initial hit for the enemies even when they have zero protection is all different. The enemy in the first spot usually has the most damage taken off but the second always has about half the damage taken? I'm fire so whenever I use Dragon, the DoT part can sometimes vary as well? This only started when I got to Karamelle so I was wondering if it was a new mechanic or a glitch? It makes it very hard to kill the enemies and very frustrating.

Also bare in mind I just restarted playing about three days ago after almost a year off so I'm just getting back into things.

Thanks!
have you considered that every enemy is customized? Some have more resist than others. some have block, others don't, and so on.

not sure why you'd expect your AOE to do exactly the same amount to everything it hits.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on Dec 6, 2021 wrote:
have you considered that every enemy is customized? Some have more resist than others. some have block, others don't, and so on.

not sure why you'd expect your AOE to do exactly the same amount to everything it hits.
This doesn't actually explain why you would do uneven amounts of damage to the same kind of mob. If an enemy has resist, then the game will tell you that. An enemy's block stat is much more difficult to figure out.

The real reason that uneven amounts of damage occur is because of the way the critical mechanic has been reworked. When you critical an AoE (damage or healing), that just means that you will attempt a critical on at least one of the affected characters. You might not be attempting to critical all of them. Unfortunately the game does not have anything to show you who in particular you attempt a critical against and who won't be subject to one. With critical AoEs, this can create the illusion that an enemy has "ghost blocked" you, a term meaning that they successfully blocked your critical without the game saying so.

Another thing is that Block will still reduce the amount of bonus damage from a critical even if you do not successfully block that critical. And with how enigmatic the critical and block system works now, there is no reliable way to find out how much bonus damage or critical you should be doing or how much a character's block is interfering with that.

As for the second enemy constantly receiving less damage, I'm honestly baffled by this as well. I've seen other people report the same issue, haven't quite really had this problem myself. No idea why or how the positioning of enemies influences any of this.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2016
Torpzun26 on Dec 8, 2021 wrote:
This doesn't actually explain why you would do uneven amounts of damage to the same kind of mob. If an enemy has resist, then the game will tell you that. An enemy's block stat is much more difficult to figure out.

The real reason that uneven amounts of damage occur is because of the way the critical mechanic has been reworked. When you critical an AoE (damage or healing), that just means that you will attempt a critical on at least one of the affected characters. You might not be attempting to critical all of them. Unfortunately the game does not have anything to show you who in particular you attempt a critical against and who won't be subject to one. With critical AoEs, this can create the illusion that an enemy has "ghost blocked" you, a term meaning that they successfully blocked your critical without the game saying so.

Another thing is that Block will still reduce the amount of bonus damage from a critical even if you do not successfully block that critical. And with how enigmatic the critical and block system works now, there is no reliable way to find out how much bonus damage or critical you should be doing or how much a character's block is interfering with that.

As for the second enemy constantly receiving less damage, I'm honestly baffled by this as well. I've seen other people report the same issue, haven't quite really had this problem myself. No idea why or how the positioning of enemies influences any of this.
https://prnt.sc/iJqjWVzsdKD_
This was a result one one scarefcrow crit i hit 2 of them the same and 2 of them lowers like wtf?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Torpzun26 Hit the nail on the head. It's because AOEs each hit has a separate roll for a crit so if you have a 75% critical chance to Critical on all four would actually be .75*.75*.75*.75 or less than 50% chance.

This issue has been plaguing players for quite some time now because due to this it looks like hits are randomly not doing the correct amount of damage because you are failing to critical on some enemies even though the animation suggests that you successfully cast a critical.

I'm sorry that you too are experiencing this.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
disdome1 on Feb 28, 2022 wrote:
This was a result one one scarefcrow crit i hit 2 of them the same and 2 of them lowers like wtf?
You didn't land a critical on and . The game currently doesn't have an indicator for critical misses and critical blocks, and if you critical on any of the mobs the critical animation triggers.

Let's assume the mobs don't have a block chance: this means you did critical on and , but did not to critical on and and since there is not a critical miss indication you were unaware of this.

Let's assume the mobs have block and you did critical on all of them: this means both and blocked the critical, but since there is not a block animation you were unaware of this.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
disdome1 on Feb 28, 2022 wrote:
Proof of critical miss or block:

Damage on and = 2325 - 1177 = 1148
Damage on and = 2325 - 29 = 2296

2296 / 1148 = 2 (a x2.00 critical multiplier)