Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

We need an easier way to garden

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
Like a utility spell that takes care of your plants for you until you shut it off, because I often don't play on the game only on Fridays-Sunday because I don't have school and I have sequential free time. If you could post your thoughts on this that would be awesome!

Dylan LegendSmith, Prodigious Necromancer

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
If you don't mind your gardens advancing while you're away ..... don't log into your character(s) that have gardens. Your gardens will be fine until you are ready to log into your character(s) again.

I've gone several days and my gardens are right where I left off and advanced to the next stage (bugs, needs, harvesting).

I have so many gardens that I get tired of doing them, sometimes.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
If you don't mind your gardens advancing while you're away ..... don't log into your character(s) that have gardens. Your gardens will be fine until you are ready to log into your character(s) again.

I've gone several days and my gardens are right where I left off and advanced to the next stage (bugs, needs, harvesting).

I have so many gardens that I get tired of doing them, sometimes.
You don't even need to skip logging in. Just place your garden in a house that isn't your main home. Put a teleporter in main home that takes you to it. That way you can still visit your home without visiting the garden. Gardens only receive needs when you visit them. So you can leave them as long as you like and only visit when you want. As long as you last left them with no needs, they will advance to the next stage and stop until you visit again, whether it's a day, week, month or year.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 28, 2016 wrote:
You don't even need to skip logging in. Just place your garden in a house that isn't your main home. Put a teleporter in main home that takes you to it. That way you can still visit your home without visiting the garden. Gardens only receive needs when you visit them. So you can leave them as long as you like and only visit when you want. As long as you last left them with no needs, they will advance to the next stage and stop until you visit again, whether it's a day, week, month or year.
Hmm. I have several homes on each wizard. My main 'home' is actually my dorm, which is where I put the teleportals.

I have found that if I log into my character with a garden, do something like quest, log out, then log in the next day or so to tend to my garden, the garden is dying.

So, that's why I came up with 'don't log into a character with a garden'.

I think I have close to 30 houses total, spread out between all 6 of my wizards. My Ice has 8, so she's got the most.

LOL

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 29, 2016 wrote:
Hmm. I have several homes on each wizard. My main 'home' is actually my dorm, which is where I put the teleportals.

I have found that if I log into my character with a garden, do something like quest, log out, then log in the next day or so to tend to my garden, the garden is dying.

So, that's why I came up with 'don't log into a character with a garden'.

I think I have close to 30 houses total, spread out between all 6 of my wizards. My Ice has 8, so she's got the most.

LOL
Plants do not wilt unless you leave them with needs. They don't die unless you left them wilting. I have gone months without visiting my gardens while still logging in and playing, and I have never lost a single plant. If you don't visit the house area where the plants are, they never get needs until you visit. Always make sure the leaf is green when you leave the area your plants are. By area I mean indoors or outdoors in a house. Those are the two 'areas' in a house. If your gardens are outdoors and you port to your house you have visited the same area as your garden, even if you cannot see the plants.

If you visit a house, plant the seeds and leave it alone all week. The next time you visit the plants will be young with needs. Take care of the needs and leave it alone again. Next time it'll be mature with needs. Take care of them and leave it alone. It'll be elder and ready to harvest when you get around to visiting. Plants will never die, no matter how long you leave them alone, as long as the garden leaf showing needs was green the last time you were there.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
Dylan LegendSmith on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
Like a utility spell that takes care of your plants for you until you shut it off, because I often don't play on the game only on Fridays-Sunday because I don't have school and I have sequential free time. If you could post your thoughts on this that would be awesome!

Dylan LegendSmith, Prodigious Necromancer
This is a great idea! Thank you, hope KingsIsle hears you.
mattie1010

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah, we could just put it in the same category as that spell that fishes for you, and the one that trains your pets for you, and not to forget, the one that farms for you too. Soon there will be nothing left to do but log on and just stare at your screen while the game plays itself.
Seriously, even with a large garden the time it takes to tend it is minimal. And others have already posted - plants don't wilt, die, develop needs etc. unless they had them when you last left them.
And here's a hypothetical question: how does this magical gardening spell handle energy usage? Does it cost energy to cast or does it cost mana? And if it's "taking care of your plants" is it then casting additional spells on its own to handle watering, pests, sun etc.? And when it does this is it using additional energy/mana on its own? If it is, then you're basically turning your energy management over to a robot who might drain your entire globe without your control. Does this spell harvest your plants for you and if it does where do the drops go? You might be on the other side of the Spiral while this is happening so they shouldn't just jump in your backpack. And there's the "full TC" issue... if you're maxed out is the spell going to message you to let you know it's throwing away all of the TCs it's harvesting but you don't have room for?
IMO too many variables and possibly much too complicated for something that can easily be done personally in a few minutes.