Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How long can I neglect my plants?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
341
I mostly grow couch potatoes, which want water and music every day, and occasionally get a rank 1 fly swarm. I am also trying evil magma peas, which I have seen get high rank pests once.

Se what happens if I don't tend my garden for one day? Two days? Three...?

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
272
Nothing bad will happen if you and no other wizards visit that house.

Delver
Mar 16, 2009
261
They'll be fine, so long as you make sure that you don't leave them with any untended needs (untended pests are fine).

You can theoretically take them straight from Mature to Elder this way. Though, there are random times when like one or two plants decide that they want to start wilting instead of reaching Elder, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
2280
If you leave your garden without needs or pests, then your plants won't garner any such needs/pest until your return.

Meaning, you can leave for a week and your plants will still be fine. As long as your garden was without any needs/pest upon leaving.

One thing I must add though, if a friend happens to port to you upon your existing, then your garden will still display chances of having pests/needs.

In that event, if you don't tend to it, it will begin dying.


Evil Magma Peas will not garner any pest higher than Rank 3. So, spells such as Deep Freeze and Dragonflies will work fine.


Also, remember that Pixie will also prevent and destroy any pest(s) of any rank affecting a plant for a 48 hour period. Most plants love pixies!


Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2101
Liam Swiftwalker on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
I mostly grow couch potatoes, which want water and music every day, and occasionally get a rank 1 fly swarm. I am also trying evil magma peas, which I have seen get high rank pests once.

Se what happens if I don't tend my garden for one day? Two days? Three...?
You can leave your garden unattended for as long as you want as long as you have done the following:

1. Leave the area the plants are in before you log off
2. See to all needs before you leave the area

As long as you do this you can be away days, weeks, months or even years without your plants wilting!

Plants only trigger their needs when we visit the area they are planted in. The area is either the inside or outside of the house. Eg if they're planted outside the barn going inside won't trigger them and vice versa.

Plants have 3 key stages:

seed-young
young-mature
mature-elder

When we visit our plants we trigger the plant to the next stage and also trigger any needs. They do not trigger if we don't visit them. They only wilt if we leave unattended needs.

It is possible to leave your plants any length of time while you are not online or even if you are online but choose to avoid that garden!

Couch potatoes can only get rank 1 pests and the need for water and music.
Evil magma peas can only get up to rank 2 pests and the need for water, music and pollination (bees).

If you let me know what likes you have affecting your plants I am happy to calculate your trigger times, elder time and harvest times. Keep in mind that the times are not an indication of when you should go to your plants, it is an indication of the time you should not go before! Knowing the times allows you to trigger and harvest etc with confidence and know what to expect. Using lots of energy on needs only to find 50% of the plants are not ready to harvest is a pain...yet going an hour later could have 100% ready for the same energy

I hope this helps and if you'd like a calculation of times just let me know all likes and dislikes affecting each of your plant types

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
830
Liam Swiftwalker on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
I mostly grow couch potatoes, which want water and music every day, and occasionally get a rank 1 fly swarm. I am also trying evil magma peas, which I have seen get high rank pests once.

Se what happens if I don't tend my garden for one day? Two days? Three...?
You can neglect your plants needs, as long as you don't port back to your place the time you took care of the needs completely. I actually eventually see them get to elder while doing this, however they must be at a mature stage in their process of growing.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
341
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
You can leave your garden unattended for as long as you want as long as you have done the following:

1. Leave the area the plants are in before you log off
2. See to all needs before you leave the area

As long as you do this you can be away days, weeks, months or even years without your plants wilting!

Plants only trigger their needs when we visit the area they are planted in. The area is either the inside or outside of the house. Eg if they're planted outside the barn going inside won't trigger them and vice versa.

Plants have 3 key stages:

seed-young
young-mature
mature-elder

When we visit our plants we trigger the plant to the next stage and also trigger any needs. They do not trigger if we don't visit them. They only wilt if we leave unattended needs.

It is possible to leave your plants any length of time while you are not online or even if you are online but choose to avoid that garden!

Couch potatoes can only get rank 1 pests and the need for water and music.
Evil magma peas can only get up to rank 2 pests and the need for water, music and pollination (bees).

If you let me know what likes you have affecting your plants I am happy to calculate your trigger times, elder time and harvest times. Keep in mind that the times are not an indication of when you should go to your plants, it is an indication of the time you should not go before! Knowing the times allows you to trigger and harvest etc with confidence and know what to expect. Using lots of energy on needs only to find 50% of the plants are not ready to harvest is a pain...yet going an hour later could have 100% ready for the same energy

I hope this helps and if you'd like a calculation of times just let me know all likes and dislikes affecting each of your plant types
Thank you Victoria and all who have replied for such helpful information!

I am only at rank 10 gardening so barely know what I am doing.

I had heard rumor of the visiting house trigger, now it is confirmed!

The plants tell me X hours until next harvest. The first couch potato harvests give low rank snacks, which I will just sell for gold. I guess I got tired of paying so much at the crown shop for mega snack packs. If I meet the plant needs and kill the pests with summon pixie can I just port out and wait a week for them to get to there elder, final harvest?

I can be patient waiting for plants to grow, but when I am training pets I am impatient and want to stuff them with mega snacks as fast as I can so I can find out if I need to hatch again.

Pet breeding I am good at. I have a super damage pet and an almost all resist pet, with just one damage stat, but there is always that feeling in the back of the mind that maybe I could make a better one, so couch potatoes are in my future!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2101
Liam Swiftwalker on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
Thank you Victoria and all who have replied for such helpful information!

I am only at rank 10 gardening so barely know what I am doing.

I had heard rumor of the visiting house trigger, now it is confirmed!

The plants tell me X hours until next harvest. The first couch potato harvests give low rank snacks, which I will just sell for gold. I guess I got tired of paying so much at the crown shop for mega snack packs. If I meet the plant needs and kill the pests with summon pixie can I just port out and wait a week for them to get to there elder, final harvest?

I can be patient waiting for plants to grow, but when I am training pets I am impatient and want to stuff them with mega snacks as fast as I can so I can find out if I need to hatch again.

Pet breeding I am good at. I have a super damage pet and an almost all resist pet, with just one damage stat, but there is always that feeling in the back of the mind that maybe I could make a better one, so couch potatoes are in my future!
What you're describing is known as 'elder harvesting'...where a gardener chooses to focus only on getting the elder harvest and skipping the mature harvests.

With couch potatoes and evil magma peas (the 2 best plants for mega snacks) we can easily do elder only harvesting.

It will require doing:

Trigger 1 (costs 0 energy as no needs will show)
Trigger 2 (expect all needs - use water, music and bug bolt)
Then wait for elder.

Knowing what likes you have present (eg red barn farm/ botanical gardens; litter; king parsley; sandwich station; gnome; pixie) will help work out the times. Also, do you stack and if so how many are in the stack? This helps determine how likely you are to get a pixie like without casting one (mine always attract pixies so don't need them cast).

If you're going to do elder harvesting only, make sure they are at mature-elder stage so they progress to elder

Also, if you try it with plants that take more than 4 days I find they usually need a mid-trigger half way through their mature-elder stage otherwise they regress back to the start of the stage. EG King Parsley needs a mid-trigger to keep them progressing to elder.

I hope this helps!