Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help! Good Level to Start Gardening?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 03, 2015
Hey, from what I hear about gardening, it sounds to save a lot of crowns and work like EMP's. I haven't started gardening and I've ignored it for a while. I've been watching a few tutorials on YT, but I am still not sure if I should start with my current level, since I don't have most energy gear or the Red Barn Farm. Specifically for EMP gardening, what level should I start? 60, 70, 80, 90? Also, if I were to save my crowns and not buy the Red Barn Farm, how would my plants be affected? How much attention do EMP's need? How many days until I can harvest mega snacks from EMP's?

Help!

Lvl. 49 wiz.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Gardening takes a lot of work until you get it the way you want, then you coast. As a player with 5 wizards, 4 have maxed gardening and the 5th is currently at 10 or 11, I can tell you it's totally worth it. Start as early as you can and keep buying the spells as you level up. Red Barn farms can be bought for 125,000 GOLD in the crown shop, and low level energy gear can be bought in the bazaar, farmed from monsters, crafted, and yes, crown shop bought. If you want to maximize your crowns, when you hit character level 70, buy the splendid attire. At 9,000 crowns, it yields you 45 extra energy total for the hat, robe, and boots, and it's 3,500 crowns CHEAPER than the red barn farm. If you do pet derby, there's a few pieces of gear you can buy from the ticket vendor there. As for the level you should start EMP gardening, start as early as you can. Start with small patches and go bigger as you get more seeds. If you're a member, you can also get double the rewards from gardening every so often, so that helps increase your seeds. I have never farmed for the seed drops specifically, but when I have them, I have gardened them.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I forget what level you can start gardening, but it's at a very low level and you'd still be in Wizard City.

You don't need to start gardening at a high level. Start whenever you want to . You will have to start with Rank 1 plants until you level up your gardening skills to 4 before you can plant EMPs.

Dandelions are a good beginning plant (or pink ones - they give back a seed at elder). They will help teach you about gardening and help level you up to plant better plants.

All of my wizards started at super low levels and worked their way up. Now I have anywhere from 10-14 gardens I take care of every day (on one account). 6 of them are 37-plot EMPs. 2 are King Parsley, then there are plots that I can plant a variety of seeds, or more EMPs if I want.

To start with, you don't NEED to have energy gear. Just plant small amounts according to what you use with your Energy.

Red Barn Farm can be purchased for gold.

Gardening should be done at least once every day.

Be sure to buy all the gardening spells you need. Do not plant seeds that require spells that are above what you can provide.

Couch Potatoes give rank 9 Mega Snacks at elder (and give back a seed).
Prickly Bear Pears you can purchase for gold and you can get a rank 8 Mega Snack (does not give back a seed)

More information regarding gardening can be found on the Wizard101 Central Wiki.