Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Moving to a 64-bit Platform

AuthorMessage
Administrator
The upcoming Wizard101 Spring Update will include the game being fully 64-bit code. This will allow us to further develop the game’s capabilities far into the future beyond the limitations of 32-bit code.

Unfortunately, we need to restrict the system requirements to only include Windows operating systems at or newer than Windows 7 and macOS Big Sur or later. This includes of course all versions of Windows 10. It’s possible the game ‘may’ work with earlier OS versions, but we cannot guarantee support. We would suggest trying it out when the update goes Live before automatically upgrading your OS ahead of time

Once we can announce Test Realm for the Spring Update, we will have a forum post specific to the updated system requirements to address any concerns you may have. The Test Realm client will also provide a notice should your system not meet these requirements.

Stay tuned in the days ahead for more about the Spring Update on Test Realm!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
1020
Is there any possibility of performance issues in the game during or after the move?

Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
27
I only have access to my uncle's Windows XP computer! I am only allowed to play video games on the weekends if my grades are good. Now I have nothing to look forward to on the weekend. Please don't go through on this change or I won't be able to have fun anymore. They already did this type of update on League of Legends where they took away access to Windows XP and this was the only other game I played. I currently am crying right now

Survivor
Nov 20, 2015
22
Making Big Sur a minimum is going to cancel out a LOT of players on Mac as it is still relatively new, it just released November of 2020. Granted a fully updated Catalina will still probably play for now as some of the updates have Big Sur attributes unless you plan to be unfair and make it look for 11.0? Catalina would be a better minimum as most of those are 64bit and a greater number of Mac players at present.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
172
That's a shame that some people will lose support for the game. However, it sounds exciting.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2014
29
So will the game work on older operating systems at all?

Survivor
Sep 26, 2010
3
In what timeframe should we expect the Spring Update to be released?

Survivor
Aug 29, 2014
16
To nextgenpowerblast
Be specific because Windows XP did have a 64bit OS. It is the hardware that would be the issue.

I would ask KingIsle if they will also have other restrictions on specific OS versions and not just 64 bit.

Double check your hardware to confirm if 64bit or 32bit.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2016
4
Nextgenpowerblast on Apr 1, 2021 wrote:
I only have access to my uncle's Windows XP computer! I am only allowed to play video games on the weekends if my grades are good. Now I have nothing to look forward to on the weekend. Please don't go through on this change or I won't be able to have fun anymore. They already did this type of update on League of Legends where they took away access to Windows XP and this was the only other game I played. I currently am crying right now
I'm really sorry for you. This, however is very much needed for the future of the game even seen from the outside. I work in development and I see this as something they just had to do sooner or later. It's impressive that they were able to hold out this long without making this jump (and they will hopefully be able to utilize this upgrade a lot).

Also, don't give up hope yet! You might still be able to get the game running in compatibility mode and perhaps using other tricks even on XP. This just means they don't and can't guarantee it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is impossible. Even if the game won't run optimally, it might just be playable enough to get you going until you can play on a newer machine some time in the future. :)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
2
Great! Can't wait to see the improvements

Survivor
May 24, 2015
2
Sparck on Mar 31, 2021 wrote:
The upcoming Wizard101 Spring Update will include the game being fully 64-bit code. This will allow us to further develop the game’s capabilities far into the future beyond the limitations of 32-bit code.

Unfortunately, we need to restrict the system requirements to only include Windows operating systems at or newer than Windows 7 and macOS Big Sur or later. This includes of course all versions of Windows 10. It’s possible the game ‘may’ work with earlier OS versions, but we cannot guarantee support. We would suggest trying it out when the update goes Live before automatically upgrading your OS ahead of time

Once we can announce Test Realm for the Spring Update, we will have a forum post specific to the updated system requirements to address any concerns you may have. The Test Realm client will also provide a notice should your system not meet these requirements.

Stay tuned in the days ahead for more about the Spring Update on Test Realm!
Will we eventually be able to enhance the graphics settings even more to our liking if we are running a build that exceeds the system requirements for the game?

Ex: Higher frame rates, frame rate counter on screen, Enhanced textures, texture packs, etc.

Survivor
Oct 02, 2013
2
I know the dev are working hard for this year's update, with test server and such.
But as this game is basically fueled by nostalgia for the most part.
I have to ask if a Remaster or updated graphics are planned for the future.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2425
Unfortunately, my grandson plays on an older system. It was originally a Vista OS but was refurbished and runs on Windows XP, 32-bit.

It is sadly, a shame that many will have the support any longer.

The odd thing about this is that my computer is Windows 10, 64-bit. When we play together, he is able to move faster than I can with less lag.

Even tending gardens, the XP system does not lag as much or as often as mine.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
1
Man i wish they didnt move to 64 bit

Survivor
Feb 01, 2014
1
My macbook is currently under the newest os so that means I wont be able to play on it anymore? i tried downloading it earlier but it never downloaded.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2019
1
so that explains why I can't open the game anymore, plz make it compitable with windows10 , it worked before like a couple of weeks ago the game open up and I can play and now I can't

Administrator
speeddemon402 on Jun 5, 2021 wrote:
so that explains why I can't open the game anymore, plz make it compitable with windows10 , it worked before like a couple of weeks ago the game open up and I can play and now I can't
Windows 10 is 64-bit compatible. Are you by chance running an original 32-bit version of it though? If so, please update to a 64-bit version and the game should work fine again.