Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

5th Age PvP - Season 2 Changes

AuthorMessage
Administrator
5th Age PvP Season 2 is set to begin next week! Are you ready to achieve Warlord rank?

Please note that the changes below WILL NOT take effect immediately at the rollover from Season 1 to Season 2. They will be implemented at the first available maintenance window after the official start of Season 2. We will update this post when they go live.



Changes To Matchmaking
  • Matchmaking server now enforces a maximum “1 rank” difference for matches
    • All players can queue with the assurance that you will not be matched with a player more than 1 rank below nor more than 1 rank above your current rank
    • This means that a Recruit (rank 0) can match with at most a Corporal (rank 1); a Veteran (rank 3) can match from Sergeant (rank 2) up to Knight (rank 4), etc.
  • Increased the matchmaking queue timer from 3m to 4m
    • This will allow a bit more time for additional players to enter the queue, which should result in more quality matches
  • Increased the History buffer to extend the time between repeating opponents
  • With the above changes in place, players should expect queue times to be slightly longer, but match quality overall should improve
Changes To Match Parameters
  • Increased the match timer from 5m to 7m. This will allow players a bit more time to secure a Win
  • Changed the infraction for a “Draw” result to apply only to the player whose timer reached zero
  • If your match ends in a Draw because your opponent's timer reaches 0 and you have more than 2m remaining on your own clock, you will not lose any rating points for that match.
  • Changed the damage limit in both PvP and PvE from 200 to 250 to accommodate gear and level cap changes. The damage intersection remains unchanged in both game modes (125 in PvP, 150 in PvE).
Changes to Rhoshambo Spells
  • Universal Shield Ramps (Glacial Fortress, Wall of Blades, Jinn’s Defense, Oni’s Morbidity) – These spells now create 25% universal shields instead of 50% universal shields.
  • Heal Over Time spells (Tranquility, Meditation, Jinn’s Fortune, Jinn’s Restoration, Oni’s Forge) - Healing Over Time ramps have been changed so that the first converted HOT creates a 3-round overtime, the second converted HOT creates a 4-round overtime, and the third converted HOT creates a 5-round overtime.
  • Damage Over Time spells (Meltdown, Backfire, Jinn’s Fortune, Jinn’s Affliction, Oni’s Projection) – Damage Over Time ramps have been changed from “Deferred Damage” effects to true “Damage Over Time” effects. The first converted DOT creates a 3-round overtime, the second converted DOT creates a 4-round overtime, and the third converted DOT creates a 5-round overtime.
  • Oni’s Spells – All Oni ramps and gambits other than Balance have had their minimum level reduced from L120 to L100 for inclusion in Exalted League play. (Balance Oni ramps and gambits are not included as they require Shadow pips, which are not permitted in Exalted League play.)
Changes to Gear

Gear with changes to socket shapes should now eject any mismatched jewels and place them in your backpack.

Changes to Pet Maycast Talents

Most common Pet Maycast talents are now set to fire only once per PvP Match.

Changes to Specific Spells
  • Mandar – in PvP, the version of Rage cast by this spell now retains the +30% incoming damage downside. In PvE, the spell is unchanged.
  • Lord of Winter TC – the standard version of the TC is set to match the trained spell: 775-895 Ice damage, –2 pips to target. All pack variants remain unchanged but are now flagged No PvP.
  • Lemuria “Hero” Spells – All have been set to require minimum level 140 in PvP
  • All Trained Mutate Spells are banned from PvP as Mutates (in general) are under Design review
Changes to Treasure Cards

Minimum required level for all Treasure Cards with a spell level between L50 and L59 are enforced to their normal acquisition level.

The following Treasure Cards have been added to the “No PvP” list as of 5th Age Season 2:

Balance
  • Plague Ninja Pigs (3 Pip)
  • Judgement
Death
  • Death Helephant (3 Pip)
  • Metalops
  • Crow
Fire
  • Flamesnake
  • Fire Wyvern (3 Pip)
  • Fire Wyvern (DoT)
  • Inferno Kraken (DoT)
  • Lord of Blazes
  • Wildfire Treant
Ice
  • Ice Bats
  • Blue Phoenix
  • Suten Sokkwi
  • Ice Hound (X Pip)
Life
  • Gnomes
  • Goat Monk (3 Pip)
  • Rocklops
Myth
  • General Akilles
  • Errant Gobbler
  • Gobbler
  • Legendary Treant (3 Pip)
  • Punklops
  • Oni no Jade
  • Otomo Fury
Storm
  • Storm Serpent
  • Sirens
Astral
  • All Mutate TCs
*Carryover Ratings previously posted here are still not adjusted correctly, so we've removed that previously visible section for now.

Let us know what you think of these changes now and when they go live!

Survivor
May 29, 2010
1
How is it fair that ice loses 2 of its best TC hits, while all the other schools keep theirs (other than death mutate minotaur)? For example, the plethora of over powered storm spells that are 4 cost or 6 cost. I think that if you remove it from one or two schools, that all schools should lose the increased damage on TCs.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2021
1
Gotta agree with the other post, ice has ABSOLUTELY nothing anymore. All we have is frostbite weaver again, pretty much everything else is irrelevant while every other school has so much more? nice

Survivor
Jul 24, 2012
1
These changes are ridiculous. How are you gonna ban mutate TC. There is no reason at all and it's ruining more cards in the game. How are you gonna bad Judgement? You want players to have no cards at all. Why not adjust what really matters in the game right now? magus pvp and below leagues still do not exist. TC that were not broken are still banned. Valuable strats such as juju, jade, ect are still ruined. Yes, we find them frustrating, but it is what makes the aspect challenging. You want to build the community back to what it once was then stop making it non-friendly to old players! These changes are what is driving your entire game population away. You took all the skill in the game away. You just made almost all the jewels people had to search hard for due to being only on one side of the united states useless by only allowing them to maycast once per match. There is no one listening to the community at this point. Too many changes are being made to a decade old system that players loved. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
22
Amazing update only issue for me is that I’m a fire and so many schools have spells to remove DOT and balance with scales gaining 3 pips if I trap and going for 9 pip efreet I think you guys should nerf scales where it does not gain the player 3 extra pips because how every school can run scales and fire just has no options also spamming of mana burn and aura pops puts every school at such a disadvantage but over all its progress and can’t wait for this update to go live now I can actually have fun against a death without getting Minotaur which is so broken for death

Survivor
Dec 07, 2011
3
Unfortunate to see myth get abused again by the KI nerf hammer. I understand the mandar nerf, but what else can myth even do right now? with the nerfs to the tc (oni no jade specifically) I don't see myth being any good anymore. Back to the bottom of the tier list we go

Survivor
Sep 09, 2017
5
So does this mean infal/fortify/pierce enchants are no longer available for lv 50?

Survivor
Sep 09, 2017
5
I feel like all spells which require 1 "thing" to buff up the damage (like hydra, monster mash etc) should be changed to require 4 of those things like earthwalker etc.

also seraph and gearhead should be 5 pips, and scorpion bottom path should remain at 2 pips or remove a power pip instead of regular pip.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2014
8
Astral
  • All mutate TCs


Can you clarify something here? What about non-astral mutates? Mutate snow shark and mutate frozen kraken are technically storm TC.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2021
2
I do like most of the changes. I agree that Ice is losing a lot of their offensive power with this update. I get that they have a lot more health and resist than other schools, but they need to be able to deal damage as well. On top of that, they also had their roshambos greatly affected in this update. Wall of Blades and Glacial Foretress now only give you 25% shields. So not only did they lose a lot of their offensive power, they lost a lot of their defensive strategic power too. As for storm, I feel like wild bolt should be reduced a bit. I think 15, 150, 750. Is a more balanced amount. Sure it is a significant damage decrease than the 1000 or 1150 versions we have now but since many people use it to break shields, it is ridiculous how a 2 pip spell can quite honestly turn the tides if the match. Even in the Masters league, many storm wizards are spamming Wild Bolt because wizards are so fragile at that level. With 100 damage, and nearly 30 pierce in Infal, landing one of those 1150 wildbolts still deals over 1000 damage through a tower shield. Oni No Plague is an incredibly powerful spell also dealing 1000, but at least with a spell like that, it is more of a pip investment rather than getting lucky on 2 pips. Also. Deckathalon decks are ruining low level pvp. It is ridiculous how powerful they are. During an earlier stream with AwesomeTheSauce, Ratbeard had said something similar to, instead of complaining about it, we should try and get the decks ourselves. Although there is some sense to that, I believe that those decks are too unbalanced for pvp. You recieve an absurd amount of health, pips, and damage. Banning Judgement treasure card is a good way to counter Balance wizards who have been abusing this deck. However, for fire, I believe banning Firezilla itemcards from pets is a good way to nerf fire. What I have seen among the level 50 fire wizards is that they are creating Firezilla/Burnzilla pets that give 1 Firezilla card PLUS, they have the talent Pyrosaurus Rex, which gives them an EXTRA Firezilla card. What makes this combo extremely powerful, is that by having a Deckathalon Deck, you automatically start with your Itemcards in your hand since deckathalon decks are entirely based on treasure cards. Being able to begin with 6 pips on the first turn as a Grandmaster (Lv 50) wizard is extremely overpowered. Not to mention they will have 2 Firezilla spells in their hand at the start of the match. While you are discarding for shields/weaknesses, or cycling your deck for a set shield, all they have to do is discard once to draw a fire elf, then they are ready to hit you with not ONE, but TWO 4 Firezilla spells.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2021
1
sosa1182 on Jun 17, 2022 wrote:
How is it fair that ice loses 2 of its best TC hits, while all the other schools keep theirs (other than death mutate minotaur)? For example, the plethora of over powered storm spells that are 4 cost or 6 cost. I think that if you remove it from one or two schools, that all schools should lose the increased damage on TCs.
The first card you speak of, Lord of Winter TC variant does (1020-1120) while the actual spell does (795-895), you get almost an extra 200 DPP (Damage Per Pip) on this card compared to the real spell, so of course it'll get banned. The second spell, Blue phoenix (515-595) does the same DPP as a Storm Spell, a good example is its mirror tc Thunderbird (4 pip variant), which does 515-595 as well...

These spells were overpowered and over Ice's DPP of 80 per pip.

I do agree they skimmed over balancing Storm's TCs such as Oni no Plague, Triton TC, Wildbolt TC and should review these cards as well.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2011
1
Please kingsisle cap your cards only for pvp to make it more competitive. A great way to start this is capping all cards to 4-5 in main deck because keeping track on your oponents moves is extremely important in a cards game. Also treasure cards will come more strategic and reshuffles.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2011
1
Great update! Just please stop nerfing ice to oblivion, legend and exalt ice do not have shadows, we are forced to frostbite a lot. Bal, life, storm, myth etc can counter it. Why do schools like storm get to keep a lot of their tc that is good such as do daga, storm oni, storm owl tc. Ice has little to no options compared to any other school :/

Survivor
Jun 16, 2021
1
With the new shift and triage spellements ice now couldn’t frostbite life balance myth and storm and now ice is getting 2 main TC’s they used to make up for the spellement changes taken away. The first page is full of balances yet nothing besides judge tc was taken away but that will go in their main deck but ice doesn’t have a main deck blue phoenix. So reconsider these changes otherwise you will lose a wizard.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
7
I find it quite weird that only myth is losing their TC oni spell, like sure it is strong but really the only oni to be banned?

Survivor
Jan 07, 2015
1
Amazing update!! But I feel like Ice should be able to have a 4 pip if other schools can.. just really have frostbite and weaver. Legend, grand and exalted ice? They have nothing anymore.

Delver
Oct 16, 2014
202
Changes to Pet Maycast Talents
Most common Pet Maycast talents are now set to fire only once per PvP Match.

By "common", are you referring to "common-rarity pet talents" or "frequently used pet talents"?

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
12
Vyseros on Jun 17, 2022 wrote:
I do like most of the changes. I agree that Ice is losing a lot of their offensive power with this update. I get that they have a lot more health and resist than other schools, but they need to be able to deal damage as well. On top of that, they also had their roshambos greatly affected in this update. Wall of Blades and Glacial Foretress now only give you 25% shields. So not only did they lose a lot of their offensive power, they lost a lot of their defensive strategic power too. As for storm, I feel like wild bolt should be reduced a bit. I think 15, 150, 750. Is a more balanced amount. Sure it is a significant damage decrease than the 1000 or 1150 versions we have now but since many people use it to break shields, it is ridiculous how a 2 pip spell can quite honestly turn the tides if the match. Even in the Masters league, many storm wizards are spamming Wild Bolt because wizards are so fragile at that level. With 100 damage, and nearly 30 pierce in Infal, landing one of those 1150 wildbolts still deals over 1000 damage through a tower shield. Oni No Plague is an incredibly powerful spell also dealing 1000, but at least with a spell like that, it is more of a pip investment rather than getting lucky on 2 pips. Also. Deckathalon decks are ruining low level pvp. It is ridiculous how powerful they are. During an earlier stream with AwesomeTheSauce, Ratbeard had said something similar to, instead of complaining about it, we should try and get the decks ourselves. Although there is some sense to that, I believe that those decks are too unbalanced for pvp. You recieve an absurd amount of health, pips, and damage. Banning Judgement treasure card is a good way to counter Balance wizards who have been abusing this deck. However, for fire, I believe banning Firezilla itemcards from pets is a good way to nerf fire. What I have seen among the level 50 fire wizards is that they are creating Firezilla/Burnzilla pets that give 1 Firezilla card PLUS, they have the talent Pyrosaurus Rex, which gives them an EXTRA Firezilla card. What makes this combo extremely powerful, is that by having a Deckathalon Deck, you automatically start with your Itemcards in your hand since deckathalon decks are entirely based on treasure cards. Being able to begin with 6 pips on the first turn as a Grandmaster (Lv 50) wizard is extremely overpowered. Not to mention they will have 2 Firezilla spells in their hand at the start of the match. While you are discarding for shields/weaknesses, or cycling your deck for a set shield, all they have to do is discard once to draw a fire elf, then they are ready to hit you with not ONE, but TWO 4 Firezilla spells.
You make a good argument with the included suggestion of nerfs. However, I feel there is a lot of focus on the opponent vs the opposer. Deckathalon is powerful - Yes but acquiring higher class decks is not something one can easily accomplish (endeavoring, strategizing, time, and money if applicable). I say the same with anything pet orientated. All of these setups, tools, resources, etc all require a combination of sacrifices to pay not to forget the existence of RNG to make things any simpler. Wild bolt besides landing maximum, there are 2 other results. Given at the state anything may be possible, but the likelihood of one landing only Max bolts is absurd. In battle every certain strategy or playstyle also comes a certain method or counteraction to nullify or turn events in your favor. I'd suggest new strategies before appealing to nerfs - for there are endless synergizing methods to plot against your opponent.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2011
13
In the future start the next pvp season at the same time you can patch the game. If its not updated tomorrow it will be over a week after the start of season 2 until the pvp changes will be in effect (game updates are always mid week).

Survivor
Aug 02, 2021
2
Eric LifeHeart on Jun 22, 2022 wrote:
You make a good argument with the included suggestion of nerfs. However, I feel there is a lot of focus on the opponent vs the opposer. Deckathalon is powerful - Yes but acquiring higher class decks is not something one can easily accomplish (endeavoring, strategizing, time, and money if applicable). I say the same with anything pet orientated. All of these setups, tools, resources, etc all require a combination of sacrifices to pay not to forget the existence of RNG to make things any simpler. Wild bolt besides landing maximum, there are 2 other results. Given at the state anything may be possible, but the likelihood of one landing only Max bolts is absurd. In battle every certain strategy or playstyle also comes a certain method or counteraction to nullify or turn events in your favor. I'd suggest new strategies before appealing to nerfs - for there are endless synergizing methods to plot against your opponent.
So you're saying it is perfectly okay for a 2 pip hit to have the SAME base power as a 8 Pip Levithan TC or a Storm King Art spell? Sure there is the possibility it may hit low or middle end, however, if you're hitting through a tower shield for example, and you have an aura, you will still take over a thousand damage THROUGH the tower shield. I just think that at 1150, the spell is just to overpowered. I think at 750, it makes it so for 2 pips, you can still benefit from breaking a tower shield, while reducing the amount of damage. Wild bolt is usually used for breaking shields anyway, so it should not deal 1000+ through shields, thats just ridiculous. At 750, I do believe it is more fair.

Survivor
Apr 03, 2015
16
I don’t understand why 3 pip legendary treat was banned but myth banshee wasn’t. Now a 3 pip hit-and-stun is only available in packs. Why couldn’t you just reduce the damage of 3 pip legendary treant instead of banning it outright? This just makes PVP less accessible since myth banshee wasn’t affected.