Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is there a Stun on Storm Lord?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I'm not shouting overpowered, I just would like an answer to this question. Why would KI place probably THE most broken mechanic in the game on top of THE most powerful single target spell in the game? This makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Stun has absolutely no reference in the Storm school. Perhaps a better secondary effect of Storm Lord would be to lay a +35% Storm Trap.

Until then, it's Storm Lord-Stun, Triton. The two most powerful single target spells in the game sandwiched with a nice juicy stun in the middle. It truly boggles the mind regarding all the Judgment arguments when instances like this garner almost no attention.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Seriously,
The stun is almost unnoticeable. The monsters only lose their next round (if they survive the attack).
Second, in order to pull off the miraculous combo you mentioned, 13 Pips would be required (7 to cast Storm Lord and then immediate follow up with 6 for Triton). A Diviner (Storm Wizard) would have to be pretty uber to amass that many pips and not need to heal (as they have cripplingly low health).
Finally, any Monster that is not killed to death by a properly cast Storm Lord (I can reliably get over 3,000 Damage from him) is a high end boss and the one turn stun that results from it does nothing to affect the outcome of the battle.
Second finally, A Diviner needs to get to level 48 to even get the quest for this spell.

Now, please explain to me how the stun is broken.
(or make a Storm Wizard and see if you STILL feel it is broken)

Defender
Oct 03, 2008
idk what they were thinking to begin with, putting stuns on frost giant and storm lord; people didn't complain nearly so much about chain stuns until this duo popped up in the arena. I agree that different effects should have been placed on frost giant and storm lord. I liked the idea of storm lord putting traps on the opponents; I think frost giant should be able to place a taunt on every opponent it strikes, giving the ice wizard undividing attention from the enemies, and making the ice wizard into a powerful tank.

Valkoor Crow
Grandmaster Necromancer

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Heh, I almost forgot to mention...

Look at the "70%" on the left side of the Storm Lord card in the middle, that means that there is a base 30% chance the spell will fizzle and not stun anything.

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
I disagree with the idea of putting traps instead of stun. It would make no sense you just did a MASSIVE attack and have no pips and they often have low health anyway.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
CorrellonBloodstorm,

I'm talking about PvP. I could care less what abilities Wizards have in PvE. Wow, guess I should have made that clear in the beginning.

Yes, I'm fully aware of a Storm Wizard's 70% Fizzle Rate. This is why they have the most powerful spells in the game. This does NOT entitle them to a stun.

and finally, the combo I spoke of Stormlord-Stun/Triton is VERY possible in PvP and happens all the time. Inbetween Stormzillas, Krakens, Wildbolts, etc...Add Feint and it's just sick.

KI, it's a simple question. Why is there a Stun on Storm Lord? What inspired this decision? What ratifies this decision? How does this fit into the Storm mythos? Is Storm not powerful enough with just pure straight up damage that you also had to give them the ability to totally disable their opponent? Why did you include the most broken mechanic in the game on not one, but TWO 48th level spells. Icelord I understand, it's part of the whole Ice thing, they have stun cards, but I challenge any Teacher/Admin etc to come on here and justify the inclusion of a STUN not only IN the Storm school, but as a secondary effect of its most powerful card.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I see there's still no response to this. It's a shame. Storm is TOO powerful to have a Stun. The abuse of Treasure card stuns already gives a significant advantage. I'm talking specifically about a one Vs one Duel. Any Teachers care to field the question about how and why Storm got a stun?

Explorer
May 31, 2008
This is because, The other person can heal, or do something else. This can risk Storm being wiped out due to a Diviners low health.

If Death had a stun(Which i would like) on scarecrow, It would be nice, But unfortunately OVERPOWERED. Which is NOT the case on Storm Lord. I don't have a problem with in, Even in PvP(Which i basically do every day).

Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
ALL 7 pip spells are overpowered for their school, storm lord still has 70% accuracy and a simple storm shield will greatly nerf it. By the way do you even know the trouble storm wizards go through to get the spell? 1 word, Kensington, yep storm wizards have to beat the hardest place in the game, going up ageinst mobs of 2,000 health storm enemies. I'm ice and even with my abnormally high health i still get killed cause there isnt order in that place if you go in alone you will be in 1v4 battles. I would call that a fair reward for going through that place.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
This is because, The other person can heal, or do something else. This can risk Storm being wiped out due to a Diviners low health.

HUH? Anyone can do that. Yes even Storm Wizards can shield and heal themselves quite nicely. Storm Wizards get the most powerful spells in the game in exchange for low accuracy and low health. Now suddenly they deserve a Stun to offset their supposed weaknesses?

I have a 37 lvl Storm Wizard. I have yet to even put blades and traps in my deck because quite honestly, I don't need them. The damage output is Sic and the fizzle rate is just a mild annoyance the better my gear gets. Low health isn't an issue because I usually kill things before they do any real damage. This transfers to the arena quite nicely. My rank is 743 a Captain and I still haven't even got Stormzilla, Tritan, or Stormlord.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
ALL 7 pip spells are overpowered for their school Wrong,

Balance's is pathetic.

storm lord still has 70% accuracy and a simple storm shield will greatly nerf it

I'm not necessarily talking about the damage it does, it's the Stun component that has me confused. The accuracy is negligible with proper gear and yes any school specific shield will pretty much stop a spell in its tracks. I'm talking about the Stormlord-Stun/Triton combo that is currently rising in popularity. Just look at Ice. Frostgiant-Stun/Colossus is becoming just as much of a main strat as well. Why? Because unless you have shields three deep you will be owned. Look out if you are going second.

1 word, Kensington, yep storm wizards have to beat the hardest place in the game, going up ageinst mobs of 2,000 health storm enemies.

Wow, I'm not impressed. I assume you know that there's this spell called Storm Prism. It turns Storm damage into Myth Damage. The Storm damage bonus against Myth is probably one of the highest in the game. Also, it's an instance...bring some friends.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
Dridsuzy wrote:
CorrellonBloodstorm,

I'm talking about PvP. I could care less what abilities Wizards have in PvE. Wow, guess I should have made that clear in the beginning.

Yes, I'm fully aware of a Storm Wizard's 70% Fizzle Rate. This is why they have the most powerful spells in the game. This does NOT entitle them to a stun.

and finally, the combo I spoke of Stormlord-Stun/Triton is VERY possible in PvP and happens all the time. Inbetween Stormzillas, Krakens, Wildbolts, etc...Add Feint and it's just sick.

KI, it's a simple question. Why is there a Stun on Storm Lord? What inspired this decision? What ratifies this decision? How does this fit into the Storm mythos? Is Storm not powerful enough with just pure straight up damage that you also had to give them the ability to totally disable their opponent? Why did you include the most broken mechanic in the game on not one, but TWO 48th level spells. Icelord I understand, it's part of the whole Ice thing, they have stun cards, but I challenge any Teacher/Admin etc to come on here and justify the inclusion of a STUN not only IN the Storm school, but as a secondary effect of its most powerful card.

Dude you just don't know storm school do you? Storm Lord isn't our most powerful card, Tempest is. slapping that stun on the storm lord is one of the two reasons we would pick using storm lord over tempest. 1. Less pips for more damage (only 9 and above pip tempests do more damage than storm lord (not including blades or traps)) 2. The stun effect on Storm Lord makes it a good choice in pvp, and I ask you, we Storm wizards have THE biggest draw backs in the game(worst accuracy, worst health) and arguably the best advantage in the game(best damage) so adding a little ONE turn stun is no reason to cry about our spells.
Duncan Dragonsword, Grandmaster Diviner.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I understand your points Elessar. I have a 37 lvl Storm Wizard, I know a little.

There is another reason not to use Tempest. It uses all your pips. This is a very important point in my message. We all know how 1 on 1 duels go. Usually capping out at 14 pips is no problem. This enables a Storm Wizard to throw a Stormlord (with that little one round stun) and follow it up with a Triton. This combination will kill anyone and you get to see it all coming while being able to do nothing about it.

I would also say that it IS a Storm Wizards most powerful spell based simply on pip/damage ratio and the fact it's AOE. Having the Worst Accuracy can be easily overcome with gear or a treasure card strat and having on average 3-400 less hitpoints than anyone else is hardly a hindrance with proper shielding and heals.

People seem to forget that Storm is the most powerful school because it has the least health and worst accuracy. Storm already receives a reward for these "hindrances" by having the most powerful damaging spells. These reasons do not justify a Stun for them too. What's next? A heal? a Steal Life? Storm Armor?

They already have a DoT, they already have a pip/pump spell(AOE at that!), they can steal/destroy buffs, Just when does having the lowest health and worst accuracy STOP being justification for receiving every trick in the game?

Survivor
Jan 08, 2009
Why? i have an explanation: Every 7 pip spell has to effects. Proof:

1. Life: Heal + Spririt shield
2. Death: Damage + Steal health
3. Myth: Damage + Remove positive shields (I think)
4. Balance: Damage + Weakness
5. Fire: Damage + DoT
6. Ice: Damage + Stun
7. Storm: Damage + Stun

Storm hasn,t an effect that could fit him completly, so they choosen stun. Get it?

Explorer
Apr 02, 2009
there is nothing wrong with the Storm Lord I love it. Plus it can take a Storm Wizard a little to set everything up in PVP. So you do have a chance to kill us if you use a good stradagy. It all about how you play your cards and what cards you use. The fire dragon can do just as good damage as a Storm Lord maybe not as much as me and my friends have when we fight Malistaire and stuff but it can get pretty close. Use your shields and stuff like that. if you on a team in PVP then work together.

Defender
May 15, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:
...Storm Wizards get the most powerful spells in the game in exchange for low accuracy and low health.

I think you need to closely examine your statement. Storm does not have the "most powerful spells in the game", they have the "highest-value damage spells in the game" "in exchange for low accuracy and low health", which means they are balanced (rather than "most powerful") by having strengths offset by weaknesses. You cannot argue one side (high damage) and ignore the other (high fizzle, low heath), even when someone already pointed it out to you.

Additionally, I don't think demanding anyone justify themselves or their decisions to you is going to get much of a positive, productive response since you come across confrontational.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
You guys are forgetting about ice wizards. I know I would rather have like tower shields to all friends than stun. Stun is only good when the enemy has a lot of pips.... but say for example, the enemy has three pips and uses storm shark,but you stunned them. Next round they have FOUR pips and use kraken. All stun does is make the enemies wait one round then use an even better spell.

Defender
May 15, 2009
flyersfan48 wrote:
... All stun does is make the enemies wait one round then use an even better spell.

Don't underestimate that; forcing your opponent to lose a turn, especially early on, shifts the initiative over to you.

An amateur oversight in CCGs is timing.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
I think you need to closely examine your statement. Storm does not have the "most powerful spells in the game", they have the "highest-value damage spells in the game" "in exchange for low accuracy and low health", which means they are balanced (rather than "most powerful") by having strengths offset by weaknesses. You cannot argue one side (high damage) and ignore the other (high fizzle, low heath), even when someone already pointed it out to you.

Additionally, I don't think demanding anyone justify themselves or their decisions to you is going to get much of a positive, productive response since you come across confrontational.

Semantics aside, I think anyone reading this thread knows what I mean. As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what your point is. I'm not arguing one side and ignoring the other. What are you talking about? I only asked why Storm has a Stun. I've covered the fact that they have the lowest health and worst accuracy. This is why they get the "Highest-value damage spells in the game". This doesn't entitle them to a stun too. Maybe you should read the whole thread before jumping to conclusions about its content and patronizing me for being confrontational.

Regardless, my Storm Wizard just turned 42. Feint with Triton is an easy 2000+ pts for 6 pips, usually on the second round. I'm a believer and have completely converted to playing my Storm Wizard as my main character. So bring on the goodies! AOE STUN! DOT! PUMP/PIP AOE! AOE DEBUFF!
WOOHOO!

I was oneshotting the Jade Oni for 15,000 pts of damage. No joke.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
If it weren't for the stun, why would you use Storm Lord in PvP1 in the first place? The only reason I use Storm Lord is when you're facing multiple enemies. Using 7 pips for storm lord with a damage of 690 doesn't make sense if you can use 6 pips for Triton with a damage of 795-875--unless you want that stun.

Whoever said you have to pass Kensington to get Storm Lord. That's not true. I never did Kensington and I have it.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
First off, you keep saying how storm can survive if they simply shield properly, then why can't you just shield PROPERLY against storm lord so you can survive triton.
Secondly, with storm having low health our attacks are gonna have to be big to even out the odds. If storms attacks get lower how would it be, hmm low health and low attacks so how will we even have a chance when we can die before you do having the same attack. Lets look at it like a game where storm has 5 health and you have 7, and all attacks do 1, who do you think is gonna win?
We need our extra power to make it near fair. And don't even try to saw we bolt because when i PvP I usually see life wizards bolt, no offense life wizards, because they only have 1 decent attack, centaur.
Btw for balance, I noticed a big change with how they PvP, I see most of them using minions now and not just judging. But anyway any school can use there minion except storm because ours doesn't attack, but it can distract other minions.
Daniel Stormsword-Grandmaster Diviner 50
Daniel Deathsword- Master Sorceror 42
Daniel Deathsword- Adept Theurgist 27
Daniel Deathsword-Adept Conjurer 27
Daniel Firesword- Journeyman Pyromancer 16

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Wrong,

Balance's is pathetic.

Balance 7 pip is pathetic? I would put a negative 25% attack on enemy then a stun, it gives the enemy another reason to use a higher pip attack with stun.

Btw, Myth's is the worst. It doesn't mob and it requires more of a hassle to trap it properly. (My main is a myth right now).

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
Dridsuzy wrote:
CorrellonBloodstorm,

I'll explain the logic of it. You were just blasted by pure storm by the most powerful representation of storm in the spiral. It makes sense that you would be stunned.