Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Water Elemental would be cool... but...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
Hey everyone!

My storm wizard was very very very excited to get the water elemental minion, but i got disappointed... The Water elemental doesnt attack... he only heals himself, even if he doesnt have to ( )... and he only put shields on himself. Please fix this, cause like this its not really like a minion :S

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Its still useful. It taunts the enemy and heals its self so you can prepare for a very big hit. It was useless when taunt wasnt around cause it wouldnt do anything.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
You should use the Elemental more. It does heal and shield you sometimes, although it mainly takes care of itself.

The purpose of the minion is to serve as a diversion to get the enemies to attack it and not you. It has Taunt for that purpose, and it uses it liberally. Since it's trying to get the enemies' attention, it needs to shield itself, and it needs to use Sprite,Absorb, and the three Death drain spells to keep itself healthy.

While the minion is drawing enemy fire away from you, this gives you time to set up your spells and take out each enemy.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
DavidMark46 wrote:
Hey everyone!

My storm wizard was very very very excited to get the water elemental minion, but i got disappointed... The Water elemental doesnt attack... he only heals himself, even if he doesnt have to ( )... and he only put shields on himself. Please fix this, cause like this its not really like a minion :S

That minion is actually very helpful. Your minion is designed to attract attention (and survive somewhat), while you blast the enemies away. With storm's low health and low accuracy, you need all the help you can get! Obviously, spirit based schools are a bit more troublesome than the elemental schools, but the secret trainer in Kroktopia has a few spells that offer your minion some survivability.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
DavidMark46 wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am glad to see that someone else thinks the same way I do. Water Elemental is USELESS as a minion.

My storm wizard is a lvl 31 in Marleybone. I quit using my minion shortly after I got it just for this reason. I posted on this months ago and all I got were replys that basically said, "he is drawing attacks away from you" which is not true. And for the same reason, I don't use the spectral minion for my balance wizard. (the only elemental I have gotten there has been water)

All the water elemental does is Taunt, shield self and heal self. There is no benefit to the wizard for having this minion.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:

My storm wizard is a lvl 31 in Marleybone. I quit using my minion shortly after I got it just for this reason. I posted on this months ago and all I got were replys that basically said, "he is drawing attacks away from you" which is not true.

If your fights are less than four rounds (your minion appears late) or you are damaging your enemies faster than your minion can taunt, then yes, your minion is not helping at all.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Actually, the fact that it doesn't attack is a good thing. For the larger bosses, Storm is all about doing large damage per spell. To do this you have to use multiple traps. If the elemental attacks it will use up the traps with DoT spells, like the useless fire elemental.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

My storm wizard is a lvl 31 in Marleybone. I quit using my minion shortly after I got it just for this reason. I posted on this months ago and all I got were replys that basically said, "he is drawing attacks away from you" which is not true.

If your fights are less than four rounds (your minion appears late) or you are damaging your enemies faster than your minion can taunt, then yes, your minion is not helping at all.

My fights are usually more than 4 rounds and even if I get the minion up within the first round or so, my wizard dies. I have died more times using the minion than not. And no, he is not drawing attacks away from me. The Taunt is annoying to begin with. At least fire minion does have some attacks and is more helpful. So I have no intention of loading it until something else is done. If Water elemental were capable of the same amount of attacks as well as setting traps similar to Fire elemental, it would not be so bad. But he is not so he is useless.

As to healing and shielding me, I have never seen it from Water elemental. And I have helped other storm wizards in battle and them using their minion and have still not seen them shield or heal the wizard.

As for the spirit based schools, I have all 3 of those wizards and have no trouble with them except death minion. Won't go there that is a different topic.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

My fights are usually more than 4 rounds and even if I get the minion up within the first round or so, my wizard dies. I have died more times using the minion than not. And no, he is not drawing attacks away from me. The Taunt is annoying to begin with. At least fire minion does have some attacks and is more helpful. So I have no intention of loading it until something else is done. If Water elemental were capable of the same amount of attacks as well as setting traps similar to Fire elemental, it would not be so bad. But he is not so he is useless.

As to healing and shielding me, I have never seen it from Water elemental. And I have helped other storm wizards in battle and them using their minion and have still not seen them shield or heal the wizard.

As for the spirit based schools, I have all 3 of those wizards and have no trouble with them except death minion. Won't go there that is a different topic.

Everyone who has a Diviner at level 18 can agree the Water Elemental's taunt system, and its 'selfish shielding and healing' really don't help. I dropped my old Water Elemental about a year ago. All minions, in my book, are a waste of pips and mana, except the Helpful Mander, Fire Elemental, Ice Elemental, and the Animations.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
mman17 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Everyone who has a Diviner at level 18 can agree the Water Elemental's taunt system, and its 'selfish shielding and healing' really don't help. I dropped my old Water Elemental about a year ago. All minions, in my book, are a waste of pips and mana, except the Helpful Mander, Fire Elemental, Ice Elemental, and the Animations.

Thank you mman17.

The only elemental I use and that even rarely if my fire elemental. I use Helpful Mander on balance wizard and the other animations but I don't have ice wizard so can't say about that one. Death rarely uses minion and never above 5 pips.

Water elemental is just something that appears when summoned and of no use for any kind of assistance.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
mman17 wrote:

I wouldn't assume everyone. I for one continue to use the water elemental every time the card pops up. The only time I don't, is if there are three other human players or I expect to defeat the enemies in the next two rounds. I have found great success in the minion during solo and two player encounters.

Remember, the majority of the shielding and healing by the minion is suppose to be directed at the minion itself for survivability after the taunts take effect. This allows you to set up multiple charms and traps for devastating results.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
mman17 wrote:

I wouldn't assume everyone. I for one continue to use the water elemental every time the card pops up. The only time I don't, is if there are three other human players or I expect to defeat the enemies in the next two rounds. I have found great success in the minion during solo and two player encounters.

Remember, the majority of the shielding and healing by the minion is suppose to be directed at the minion itself for survivability after the taunts take effect. This allows you to set up multiple charms and traps for devastating results.

I am glad you think the water elemental is useful. But every time I used it especially solo, my wizard died. It is not worth the waste of pips just see it taunt, shield and heal self an my wizard takes all the hits. I would be better off to use the pips to use spirit armor. At least that way I have a round or two to find a good attack. And with no minion loaded that means more attacks loaded

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
But every time I used it especially solo, my wizard died. It is not worth the waste of pips just see it taunt, shield and heal self an my wizard takes all the hits. I would be better off to use the pips to use spirit armor. At least that way I have a round or two to find a good attack. And with no minion loaded that means more attacks loaded

Yup, that is the neat thing about Wizard 101; all the different strategies. While I find the storm minion useful in fights, it does make my fights a little longer (two extra turns to summon the minion), but I usually get more time to lay on more traps for higher damage. In that same time, your strategy offers some protection against attacks, but requires the right cards at the right time to defeat the enemies with fast attacks as quickly as possible (great offense as a good defense, right?).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
But every time I used it especially solo, my wizard died. It is not worth the waste of pips just see it taunt, shield and heal self an my wizard takes all the hits. I would be better off to use the pips to use spirit armor. At least that way I have a round or two to find a good attack. And with no minion loaded that means more attacks loaded

Yup, that is the neat thing about Wizard 101; all the different strategies. While I find the storm minion useful in fights, it does make my fights a little longer (two extra turns to summon the minion), but I usually get more time to lay on more traps for higher damage. In that same time, your strategy offers some protection against attacks, but requires the right cards at the right time to defeat the enemies with fast attacks as quickly as possible (great offense as a good defense, right?).

That is where short decks come in handy. The right spells come up almost every time. Even for a lvl 31 storm wizard.

But it still does not change the fact about the water elemental being useless.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
mman17 wrote:

I am glad you think the water elemental is useful. But every time I used it especially solo, my wizard died. It is not worth the waste of pips just see it taunt, shield and heal self an my wizard takes all the hits. I would be better off to use the pips to use spirit armor. At least that way I have a round or two to find a good attack. And with no minion loaded that means more attacks loaded

Yes, me too. But really, I can't believe kingurz doesn't think most storm wizards like it. I've died a ton just because of the minion, so he's gone from my deck (and of course, a lot of other people's decks too).

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
Well well I see now that some poeple agree some does not. Ok ok maybe he is being useful to you, but not for me... He never uses taunt when he needs to and he is still being selfish... -.-"

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
You are quite correct mman17. I don't have the Water Elemental loaded either.

I can't believe I was so glad when my wizard got this minion to be so disappointed at his talents. UGH!!!!!!!!! USELESS

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
mman17 wrote:

Yes, me too. But really, I can't believe kingurz doesn't think most storm wizards like it. I've died a ton just because of the minion, so he's gone from my deck (and of course, a lot of other people's decks too).

I do believe most storm wizards don't like the minion. I just don't agree with your statement that every single level 18 storm wizard hates the minion. There are few out there that rely on the minion, including me. I don't use the storm minion in every fight either. Usually only boss fights, since those are long fights anyways.

What I personally don't want is another minion like the fire minion. A minion that does more harm to trap setup than any others. Storm wizards do the greatest damage with all the traps they get (second only to death). A minion that attacks randomly will diminish that advantage. Plus, I'm the damage dealer in the group, so one of us is not really needed. As a storm minion I already have the lowest life to begin with, so a healing minion is only going to be useful if it casts Satyr or similar spells. However, with such low life I would rather not be taking any damage at all!

Survivor
Jun 02, 2011
I'm adding my two cents in here on the side of "Water Minion: Extremely Useless, or Completely Useless?"

Seriously, it usually takes the minion four or five rounds to start taunting, and until then, it is casting heals and shields on itself. I understand the shields to ramp up so it can act as a tank, but casting sprite on itself three times in a row when it hasn't taunted yet, hasn't taken any damage, and I'm sitting there with 50 hit points left??? C'mon!

Look Wizard Guys - either get rid of the card or fix it. I'm a programmer by trade, and I can't image it would be hard for the minion code to do a check on a character's health before deciding whether to target itself or it's master.

To sum up - Water Elemental - permanently out of my decks.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
patrickmen1 wrote:
sheald it,it may attack or sheald you or heal you

Good advice, I personally use the Myth spell Shield Minion to keep the water elemental alive longer. However, for those storm wizards that actually use their minion, the frustration lies in the minion's inability to sometimes get taunt out quick enough. This is why a lot of storm wizards give up on it so quickly. It's a double negative. If the minion taunts too early it will die on the first spell casts against it (especially in Celestia/Wintertusk). Taunt too late and the storm wizard is generating aggro from healing themselves.

If the minion isn't working for me, then I will dismiss it for pips (while in a group) or dismiss it for 500 health (while solo). Depending on situation I may try another chance with another minion or just go for the win.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Still not using it and not wasting training points for shield minion for a minion that is worthless.

My best bet is to either delete that wizard or wait until I get a wizard leveled up enough on second account to help her.

I will not use Water Elemental minion unless it is changed and becomes more effective in battle.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2011
I do not like water elemental also because my friend had 206 out of 1392 HP and the water elemental had full HP,then the water elemental healed himself! P.S and yes, I never see it attack!
:?

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
Explorer
Dec 21, 2008
The water elemental barley shields me. or heal. He gave me an absorm like once and i am a legendary diviner