Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Commons...

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I was just hanging out in the Commons with some of my friends. Then out of no where, this player comes and starts saying some VERY INAPPROPRIATE things! Me and my friends begged her to stop but of course, she didn't listen. What really surprised me is that another player walked up to her and played along with her little games! It is so ridiculous! I'm tired of seeing people like this in the commons! I reported her, and left. So I go to another realm with my friends right, and there I see two players begging for packs and mounts! We got so tired of it all and just left and started hanging out in Polaris. Beggars are annoying, but at least controllable to some extent. But these other players who say the most inappropriate things ever cannot. We know that they are old. They have open chat. Maybe they are just kids who shouldn't have open chat and think it's a fun toy to play with. I'm tired of seeing players like this. What is worse is that non open chat players also try to say inappropriate things.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I agree - and it's creepy if it is a certain kind of inappropriate and the one saying it is adult because many around them (within reading distance) are NOT. That's one reason chat is limited to begin with but people just use phonetics to get around that.

Always report that type of thing - it could be serious.

I wish there was a Commons for paid members. I hate to be that way but I think most who are abusing the game are here for free and there are probably some who ONLY join to try to do some bad things I won't mention here, and who ONLY hang out in public areas trawling for actual victims.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
SparkleTude on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
I agree - and it's creepy if it is a certain kind of inappropriate and the one saying it is adult because many around them (within reading distance) are NOT. That's one reason chat is limited to begin with but people just use phonetics to get around that.

I wish there was a Commons for paid members. I hate to be that way but I think most who are abusing the game are here for free and there are probably some who ONLY join to try to do some bad things I won't mention here, and who ONLY hang out in public areas trawling for actual victims.
Yup. Wizard101 is a family friendly game- tons of children play it. Even if they don't have open chat, like you said they get around the chat filters so that even non open chat users can see it. The game isn't meant for such bad things. I don't know why people do it. Whenever I see people do such things, I report them right then and there. Then after I do, they go on about someone reporting them and start insulting. It is just SO silly and immature. What really makes me worry is that you see these kind of people so often! It really is scary.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Mirajane7887 on Jan 18, 2017 wrote:
I was just hanging out in the Commons with some of my friends. Then out of no where, this player comes and starts saying some VERY INAPPROPRIATE things! Me and my friends begged her to stop but of course, she didn't listen. What really surprised me is that another player walked up to her and played along with her little games! It is so ridiculous! I'm tired of seeing people like this in the commons! I reported her, and left. So I go to another realm with my friends right, and there I see two players begging for packs and mounts! We got so tired of it all and just left and started hanging out in Polaris. Beggars are annoying, but at least controllable to some extent. But these other players who say the most inappropriate things ever cannot. We know that they are old. They have open chat. Maybe they are just kids who shouldn't have open chat and think it's a fun toy to play with. I'm tired of seeing players like this. What is worse is that non open chat players also try to say inappropriate things.
Unfortunately, you'll always have this problem.

The game giving the impression of being a "family friendly game" seems to be motivation for these type of players to really prove that it's not. I know, it sounds a little messed up, but as you can see, they give no regard to whoever just happens to be scrolling by through the commons or wherever and just passionately type and say all the words into the book.

It would be nice if special attention is paid to players such as these and possibly have their chat system monitored closely or possibly even altered.

Reporting seems to do little nowadays.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
They need to honestly just give open chat and text chat to paying players, the people are lying about their age which is quite obvious.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I agree.

They complain because they got caught. They want to intimidate everyone else from telling on them. Really that shows their bad intent.

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
yeah always report those people. That could be really bad for young people

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I noticed the same thing. The name calling, the bullying, and inappropriate locker room talk about girls and guys. Players running around saying: " I need a girl, I need a boy, kiss me. will you marry me? " etc... in public. My question is WHY? What makes you people think the chances are you'll meet in real life? All this talk will make you more lonely and needy.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SparkleTude on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:

Sometimes it's members saying the wrong stuff - you can't say it's just the FtP people. Report if you're a member, Ignore and encourage others to Ignore these rude people. As long as they have an "audience", they'll continue. Remove the audience and they'll have no one to "shock".

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on Jan 22, 2017 wrote:
They need to honestly just give open chat and text chat to paying players, the people are lying about their age which is quite obvious.
Open chat is given to paying players, you have to have a credit card registered at KI plus you have to be 18 years or older, open chat won't be enabled if you're under 18.
I'm a Crowns player, I buy zones to progress through the game, why should my text chat be restricted because other players abuse the privilege?
Making an elitist system won't stop the abuse.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on Jan 23, 2017 wrote:
Open chat is given to paying players, you have to have a credit card registered at KI plus you have to be 18 years or older, open chat won't be enabled if you're under 18.
I'm a Crowns player, I buy zones to progress through the game, why should my text chat be restricted because other players abuse the privilege?
Making an elitist system won't stop the abuse.
Players can easily lie about their age and can use text chat. They don't need to pay any money what-so-ever. Also, they get around these chat filters. I never said that people who haven't payed shouldn't have the ability to have text and open chat, I just mean those who haven't payed (probably within the last month since that's how it normally works with the payment thing).

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Jan 22, 2017 wrote:
Sometimes it's members saying the wrong stuff - you can't say it's just the FtP people. Report if you're a member, Ignore and encourage others to Ignore these rude people. As long as they have an "audience", they'll continue. Remove the audience and they'll have no one to "shock".
No offense but I never said it was only the free to play members.

I did say I thought it might mostly be free to play accounts. The reason for that is that it's a lot easier to risk banning on an account that has nothing to lose.

It's really the same on most games.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I've read all the posts here and I agree with all of them, there isn't a way this problem can be stopped, but it can be controlled to a certain extent. I do agree with making open chat and text chat only for paid players but the thing is, as far as I have seen all of the players who do and say all kind of inappropriate things are mostly paid players. The one that made me write this topic was a max wizard. Do people progress in the game only to do such downright stupid things?

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Sorry to hear this bad behavior might be increasing. KI has been fighting this kind of thing for a while. The results of reporting might not be instantly seen, but they do happen, and people do get muted, or some even removed. Saw a KI employee appear in Commons once, with the KI label, yell, "You were warned" and the bad wiz was gone. They even hand picked some regular players with totally reliable report records to have the ability to help them police this kind of thing. Since then, it got a lot better. It's tough when someone makes a free character just to be a troll though, cause they don't care if they are muted or banned. Guess trolls don't realize how pathetic they look when they are doing it, and what a waste of time it is. Keep reporting when they break the rules. KI has the logs and can check the report. Those players do get sad when they think they got away with it, only to find their maxed out wiz is muted the next time they log in.