Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Surely you must be joking

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
We decided to let our children play 101. Rather than give them a subscription, we opted to give them crowns they could spend to open up areas to play in. This worked great for them as they could move through the areas as slowly or as quickly as they felt and I didn't have to worry about maintaining a monthly subscription since they could in theory be playing for a long number of years.

The problem - I find it quite troubling that they can't play in the ranked PVP arenas without using crowns (per fight) or crowns (for 24 hours) or buying a subscription. They love to PVP but since they are non subscribers this is a ridiculous. This should be treated like ALL other areas in the 101 world. Pay a one-time fee to unlock PVP and Pet Derby for all characters .. forever. Why take advantage of people in one single element in the game?

Adherent
May 20, 2010
My opinion (which may not agree with yours) is this:

It wouldn't make good business sense to allow frequently used areas to be unlocked for one nominal fee.

Specific areas (i.e. Triton Avenue, Chelsea Court) are only used for a limited amount of time per wizard character, after which they are rarely visited by that specific character. An area like PvP or Pet Derby can be used every day and should require an ongoing subscription, in my opinion.

I'm honestly surprised that KingsIsle doesn't require a monthly subscription for Dragonspyre or parts thereof, since many grandmasters farm Malistaire and such regularly.

The crowns-per-area option should probably be eliminated. It appears to be a throwback to when the game was smaller.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010

I can see your point with this, as it would start to run into some serious money quickly.
The thing is, it would also take some serious money for the amount of Crowns KI would set to make these areas perm access.

The best value for money, if you play PVP or Derby often, is by subscription.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I did what you did with your children with my daughter, but after I set down and did the math, it was actually cheaper to get the subscription for us. I am not PVP person, but my daughter is, so she can play as much as she liked. Instead of paying monthly, I opted to pay for the full year in full.

Probably has nothing to do what your point is, but KI is in this for the money and so I haven't come across a game close to it.

Delver
Jun 21, 2009
Now, It goes back to the question,"Why don't subscribers get crowns?" Paying for something twist is unfair. A drop in price per crown would be nice.

Explorer
May 23, 2009

Have you ever heard of the wizard101 gift cards. Thats what i do. it comes in 10 and 20 dollar gift cards. it even gives a nice pet. And i imagine that when you put in your credit card number it and after your mempership is up it will renew and charge you unless remember the date. so i dunno, there are upsides and down sides for both crowns and memberships

aaeerwen wrote:
We decided to let our children play 101. Rather than give them a subscription, we opted to give them crowns they could spend to open up areas to play in. This worked great for them as they could move through the areas as slowly or as quickly as they felt and I didn't have to worry about maintaining a monthly subscription since they could in theory be playing for a long number of years.

The problem - I find it quite troubling that they can't play in the ranked PVP arenas without using crowns (per fight) or crowns (for 24 hours) or buying a subscription. They love to PVP but since they are non subscribers this is a ridiculous. This should be treated like ALL other areas in the 101 world. Pay a one-time fee to unlock PVP and Pet Derby for all characters .. forever. Why take advantage of people in one single element in the game?