Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion for a full download

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
I would like to suggest that you add some sort of command line option or something similar to the wizard101 graphical client executable. Whenever I put this on a computer, or get a new computer, downloading all of the world data becomes annoying to say the least. If there was an option to "download all" world and item data in one fell swoop, that would be super useful. You could go get coffee, have some lunch and when you came back know that you were really and truly ready to go questing wherever your character would like to go. Just a suggestion. :)

Adherent
May 20, 2010
This probably belongs in "The Dorms" (As I type the reply, it's in Halston's Laboratory").

I would imagine that it's a business decision on KingsIsle's part. Bandwidth costs them money. There are about 2 gigabytes of data in my Wizard101 directory, and I imagine that a "full" directory would be a good bit larger. Given the option, a lot of people with highspeed connections would download everything, including these groups:

1) New players who quit before Unicorn Way is completed and uninstall the game.

2) Players who play the free version and decide not to subscribe.

3) Players who subscribe to areas via the Crowns option.

It might be feasible to offer what you suggest, but restrict it to subscribers (paying customers).

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
colagada wrote:
This probably belongs in "The Dorms" (As I type the reply, it's in Halston's Laboratory").

I would imagine that it's a business decision on KingsIsle's part. Bandwidth costs them money. There are about 2 gigabytes of data in my Wizard101 directory, and I imagine that a "full" directory would be a good bit larger. Given the option, a lot of people with highspeed connections would download everything, including these groups:

1) New players who quit before Unicorn Way is completed and uninstall the game.

2) Players who play the free version and decide not to subscribe.

3) Players who subscribe to areas via the Crowns option.

It might be feasible to offer what you suggest, but restrict it to subscribers (paying customers).

You make some good points. I would be interested in hearing from KI on the topic. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to get into the technical meat of it if this is the wrong forum for the conversation.

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
I re-installed Windows XP on both of our computers for various reasons, and came across the same problem.

The second time I got smarter. I moved my character into Bartleby before the wipe; (I could also just have moved him using the other computer, but most people do not have that option). Then after all the Microsoft updates and re-install of other software, I installed Wizard101 and started the game. Then, inside Bartelby, I tried to go to each world, this causes the system to load most of areas up. A few things did not load, for instance, the Halloween Towers. There is a probably a bunch of rooms off of rooms that don't load but its pretty good.

When you come back, make your first attempt be the one you want to go to first, so you can start playing right away. Most likely you will want Wizard City loaded first, so just try to go to the Commons; then go and attempt the other worlds.

Note! If you exit the program before they all load, when you try to come back, you will not be able to play until everything you requested loads! So only do the above if you really want to have it all loaded.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
it could be set for members only, then bandwidth would not be a problem as members download everything anyways

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
ic0517 wrote:
I re-installed Windows XP on both of our computers for various reasons, and came across the same problem.

The second time I got smarter. I moved my character into Bartleby before the wipe; (I could also just have moved him using the other computer, but most people do not have that option). Then after all the Microsoft updates and re-install of other software, I installed Wizard101 and started the game. Then, inside Bartelby, I tried to go to each world, this causes the system to load most of areas up. A few things did not load, for instance, the Halloween Towers. There is a probably a bunch of rooms off of rooms that don't load but its pretty good.

When you come back, make your first attempt be the one you want to go to first, so you can start playing right away. Most likely you will want Wizard City loaded first, so just try to go to the Commons; then go and attempt the other worlds.

Note! If you exit the program before they all load, when you try to come back, you will not be able to play until everything you requested loads! So only do the above if you really want to have it all loaded.

I use a similar strategy, but there's still always something missing, and it requires that you come back and forth to your computer several times. I don't even care if its a rate limited download. If I could have it start and show me a percentage done, I can go watch TV and know that it won't time out and that when it hits 100% I'm good to go.