Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Soothe and Taunt

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 13, 2010
Do they actually DO anything?

If one Subdue (Soothe) costs 2 pips and one costs X, will the X one be more efficient if you sacrifice more pips?

Do the types of Soothe(s) and Taunt(s) have different degrees of success with the different schools? (Like is Soothe better than Subdue, and etc.)
Why is Death's type of Soothe (Pacify) an X spell?

And is one type of Taunt better than the other? Are the types of Taunt any different across schools? And does Mega Taunt really work?

Who has the answers to these weird questions? Or can someone just tell me whether or not they are actually worth it?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Luvas wrote:
Do they actually DO anything?

If one Subdue (Soothe) costs 2 pips and one costs X, will the X one be more efficient if you sacrifice more pips?

Do the types of Soothe(s) and Taunt(s) have different degrees of success with the different schools? (Like is Soothe better than Subdue, and etc.)
Why is Death's type of Soothe (Pacify) an X spell?

And is one type of Taunt better than the other? Are the types of Taunt any different across schools? And does Mega Taunt really work?

Who has the answers to these weird questions? Or can someone just tell me whether or not they are actually worth it?

Yes they do something. However, you must be in a group for them to have a use. They also exclusively apply to PvE, not PvP. That being said, here's how it works: These kinds of spells either raise or lower the threat level. If you raise the threat level, it makes the target more likely to attack you. If you lower it, it makes it less likely. Taunt is unique in that it affects all enemies. The more direct comparison would be distract vs. soothe, etc. If you have a rank X version of the spell (Pacify, Mega-taunt, etc), then it will raise or lower the threat level by the number of pips you have when you cast it.

These spells are most useful at the beginning of a duel. As soon as teammates begin attacking or healing, those actions will affect threat level as well, and in many cases, they will affect them substantially more than these cards will. That being said, the Mega versions do become useful, however, do you really want to put that many pips into this spell? In my opinion it is most useful when you are playing with an ice in the higher worlds, like DS or Celestia. The ice can make a defensive deck where he primarily shields and casts taunt, mega-taunt, and distract in order to keep the enemies focused on him while you build for a big spell.

If you have a hard time anticipating monster behavior, or more specifically, if you aren't in a group with someone who seems to always know what the monster is going to do (in terms of who it is going to attack), then I would take these out of your deck and never look back. The only other useful situation I have seen for them is for those who like to solo when people join their ring without permission. In those cases, I have seen some people cast the pacify, soothe, etc, so that the monster directs their attack at the new comers instead of the guy in the first position in the circle.

I hope this helps.