Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Solving pack spells issues

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 10, 2015
A message to the devolopers, regarding pack spell specifically. As a player who understands the idea of chance, I would like to express some of my concern over this marketing strategy that is being implimented and why its doing more harm than good. As many of us are aware loot systems with rng factor, via purchases, have been the norm of many massive mmorpg.
This in itself creates an involuntary barrier thats separates playerbase into different groups, those who can afford ptw items and those who can't. This barrier alone creates some sort of unfairness, giving its serious nature, to give an advantage over players who can afford to spend money on the game. Generally speaking, one would assume that in order to keep people happy there needs to be some sort of purchase worth value that would excite players into spending more and more money until they eventually get what they want vs what they really need.
Now, my friend as has bought 120,000 crowns worth of grizzleheim lore pack which is essentially 300 packs at 160 dollars, because he like many was trying to get the new life aoe spell as a desperate need to complete his life deck portfolio. As a player who dedicates himself into spending money on packs, whats the best advice i can give to my friend, who, then realizes that after 5 of his friends told him they got it in at least 10 dollars worth of crown purchase in less than 10 packs, made it seem unfair to someone who spent more and havent gotten anything but housing items and treasure cards.
I can see how something like this can actually make anyone fustrated giving the fact that someone who is spending more, is reaping little to no benefits of their reward. Giving the implication of this matter, I would like to suggest on all future pack sale that include spells. Should automatically have some sort of crafting recipe made even before the release to ensure treasure cards being bought from the packs are not wasted, so the money thats been spent is money worth spending.

Explorer
Sep 18, 2009
I strongly agree that the pack spell RNG needs a rework. I spent about 200,000 crowns on my life wizard to get the spell, in the process I got the other 2 spells at around the 60k mark, and the 120k mark, these are absolutely useless for a life wizard. Due to the fact that the grizzleheim lore pack has absolutely nothing good in it except for ratatoskr's spin, I spent almost $300 USD on ONE spell. I notified support that i should get a refund or compensation of some sort, but was literally just told to talk about it in the forums. I understand that its a random thing, however literally every youtuber that tried to get the spell got it in under 30k crowns, and got the life spell first, not the useless one's ADMIN SPARCK PLEASE ADDRESS THIS TOPIC, I would like to know why support told me to come to the forums when I asked for compensation of a refund

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
ash5super on May 23, 2020 wrote:
I strongly agree that the pack spell RNG needs a rework. I spent about 200,000 crowns on my life wizard to get the spell, in the process I got the other 2 spells at around the 60k mark, and the 120k mark, these are absolutely useless for a life wizard. Due to the fact that the grizzleheim lore pack has absolutely nothing good in it except for ratatoskr's spin, I spent almost $300 USD on ONE spell. I notified support that i should get a refund or compensation of some sort, but was literally just told to talk about it in the forums. I understand that its a random thing, however literally every youtuber that tried to get the spell got it in under 30k crowns, and got the life spell first, not the useless one's ADMIN SPARCK PLEASE ADDRESS THIS TOPIC, I would like to know why support told me to come to the forums when I asked for compensation of a refund
Yup yup support will not help with any issue regarding money already spent on packs. Its a pickle, giving its nature even when its an involuntary spending. Like i get the idea of the entire chance theme, but i don't believe it should just feel like a rip off for some and a lucky strike for others. Essentially I already posted a way to mitigate the issue by releasing crafting recipe at least prior to the release of pack that includes spells in them. This would help those who invested so much on the value of chance as a support to the game, and id rather keep players like these happy because they are essentially the ones keeping the flow of cash going.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
This is EXACTLY why I came up with the Drop Token idea in THIS THREAD. KI, you are absolutely allowed to make a profit, but with how low the drops are due to RNG, it makes it an ongoing issue. Yes, you have a CHANCE of getting what you want, but let's face it, there is a better chance of getting the same item type in a version you DONT want more often than not. If I want a spell for a life character, when a spell drops, and a Life spell is available, that should take preference, but it doesnt. With the token idea in that thread, as I've mentioned many times, you would not have to change the drop percent at all, just change what gets dropped. Same with Loremaster. She can drop, what, 17 spells? You have a MUCH greater chance getting what you dont want there. Do the same thing, drop tokens and let US decide how to use them.

Nobody should have to spend a ton of money to get what they want because of a bad RNG

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
100% agree. I am VERY judicious with pack purchases. In the past, when KI actually had real sales, I would buy crowns only when on sale and then hold onto those crowns until good packs went on sale. Having said that, I ended up spending about $80-100 per year on crowns and would only spend when I really needed something.

Which is why it was so unusual for me to drop 60K on one pack. But being a decade-long life wizard, I really wanted the spell we've been begging for since day one. And I was mortified I did not get it. I got no spells. One thousand and fifty drops and not one spell. I chalked it up to bad luck.

Then, all my friends made the same statement. It is disingenuous for KI to claim they didn't change the drop rate. My assumption is, there is so much garbage in this pack that the drop rate is lower simply because there are so many more junk drops in the pack. And the same, unimaginative, recycled Grizzleheim rough wood items that we already know of. And forgettable gear suitable only for stitching.

And here we are, one year later. And still no spells migrated to loremaster, and no craftable options. Hundreds of questions asked during KI Live--questions ignored. Please, let's not be coy. Some fools are still buying this pack and getting ripped off. KI is still making money on these spells, why would they offer options?

Life continues to be disrespected. Juju making healing less important. Pigsie being impossible to craft. And having to wait 11 years to get a spell every other school GETS FOR FREE. Shame on you KI.

Explorer
Sep 18, 2009
Again, due to the fact that when I requested a refund or compensation support simply told me to go to the forums. I would Like an Admin to address this topic. I know these messages are moderated, and read before posting. There is no hint of a return policy on the F.A.Q's, or anywhere else on the game's website.

Administrator
ash5super on May 25, 2020 wrote:
Again, due to the fact that when I requested a refund or compensation support simply told me to go to the forums. I would Like an Admin to address this topic. I know these messages are moderated, and read before posting. There is no hint of a return policy on the F.A.Q's, or anywhere else on the game's website.
Hi ash5super,

We are happy to take into account your feedback on improving the game, thanks for the concerns here.

For any account related questions, please contact support. As far as I know, we do not offer general refunds based on what you may get in a pack.

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
@ash5super The question of refunds is a non-starter. But what KI could do is:
  1. Post drop rates for all items. Many other games do this. For a company that likes to still pretend it caters to children, this would at least be one small way they could protect themselves from the accurate accusations of underage gambling promotion.
  2. Implement a max purchase limit that would unlock the acquisition of a pack item. For example, once you spend 75K crowns on a given pack, you are given a "hatch pepper" to select one item from the pack that you truly desire.