Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sick of Fizzles!!!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Is it just me or are fizzles out of control?! I seem to get more fizzles than I do spells that actually cast, and I am casting mostly spells with 85% and up. I understand that if every spell casted correctly the game would become boring, but when there are more fizzles than anything.. well, it's ridiculous. When you have the urge to play the game, and you constantly get fizzles, all it does it make you want to play a different game. Technical support is no help either, they take DAYS to respond even though they say 24-48 hours. I love Wizard 101, but this is starting to get annoying.

Defender
Nov 20, 2010
I know this may sound CRAZY, but I actually like fizzles. They add a challenge to the game. It wouldn't be very fun if we always got our spells.

Explorer
Aug 18, 2010
few questions for ya:
1. what lvl are you
2. what school are you
3. do you have any armor that adds boost
I am a storm wizard lvl 48 and all my spells have 70% accuracy plus the 8% from armor which turns into 78%. so with what i read from you my spells have lower accuracy but are still hitting prolly around 70% of the time more OFTEN then yours are. you might want to find armor your lvl that will add some accuracy.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
Join the club. You and everyone else on W101 hates fizzles, but they're a part of the game.

Besides, there's no way fizzles could get 'out of control'. The chance of getting a fizzle is respective to the chance of a spell succeeding, so if you have a 85% chance of success, you have a 15% chance of failure.

And the reason that Tech Support isn't responding is because THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. If you fizzled every turn, even with no-pip, 100% accuracy spell, yeah, that's a problem, and it's worth bugging tech support. But just saying that you're fizzling too much is not a problem, and more often than not, it won't be addressed.

And just a side note, there are ways you can increase your accuracy. Clothing gets you better accuracy, there are some potions in the Crown shop that will get you better accuracy, there are spells that increase your accuracy. There are pets that increase your accuracy. Have you tried any of this?

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and Natural-Born Sharpshooter

Adherent
May 20, 2010
It's known as random deviation, or "short term bad luck". Yesterday, my beginning Storm wizard fizzled 6 out of 8 times. It also hit 10 in a row. The problem with most people is that they only remember the isolated short-term bad luck, especially if it causes defeat in battle.

Record your 85% spell over 100 casts. If it's still only hitting about 50-60% of the time, then send in a ticket to Support. More likely, it will hit within 5% or so of what it's supposed to hit.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2011
I like fizzles, well not exactly, but i like the mechanic.

What id like to see change is the fact that you can tell your going to fizzle before you actually do, add some suspense to it.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Superwiz1560 wrote:
Join the club. You and everyone else on W101 hates fizzles, but they're a part of the game.

Besides, there's no way fizzles could get 'out of control'. The chance of getting a fizzle is respective to the chance of a spell succeeding, so if you have a 85% chance of success, you have a 15% chance of failure.

And the reason that Tech Support isn't responding is because THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. If you fizzled every turn, even with no-pip, 100% accuracy spell, yeah, that's a problem, and it's worth bugging tech support. But just saying that you're fizzling too much is not a problem, and more often than not, it won't be addressed.

And just a side note, there are ways you can increase your accuracy. Clothing gets you better accuracy, there are some potions in the Crown shop that will get you better accuracy, there are spells that increase your accuracy. There are pets that increase your accuracy. Have you tried any of this?

Jack Fireheart Level 60 Pyromancer and Natural-Born Sharpshooter

I am aware that fizzles are part of the game, which is why I clearly made the statement "I know the game would get boring...". I didn't send a technical support ticket on this issue because I am aware this is NOT a technical support issue, and that is why I turned to fellow forum chatters rather than submitting a ticket. I made the comment about technical support being no help because they honestly have been no help in the past with REAL issues.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2011
I actually want totally the amount of fizzles I get. My cards say 70% chance of not fizzling (I'm storm) but every battle it seems that fizzle around 75 to 80% of the time. I have armor with an small accuracy bonus too so that makes it even worse.

I hate being good at math because I know the true percentage of my spells hitting and it is no where close to what the card shows. Even in the long term

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
You can get into what I refer to as an "Unlucky Circle" - just as you can flip a coin six times in a row and get Heads each time, sometimes you keep hitting that tiny window where your spell will fizzle.

The best thing you can do is to invest in some accuracy cards from the bazaar - they are Balance, and usually don't cost more than 20-30 gold for a +20% Sniper card (you can get them even cheaper if you go for the +10% cards). They should vastly improve your accuracy.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Bookshelvings wrote:
You can get into what I refer to as an "Unlucky Circle" - just as you can flip a coin six times in a row and get Heads each time, sometimes you keep hitting that tiny window where your spell will fizzle.

The best thing you can do is to invest in some accuracy cards from the bazaar - they are Balance, and usually don't cost more than 20-30 gold for a +20% Sniper card (you can get them even cheaper if you go for the +10% cards). They should vastly improve your accuracy.

I'm gonna check those out! Thanks!!