Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

realm switching

AuthorMessage
Hero
Nov 14, 2010
776
when the area isn't available it still makes us wait 60 seconds before switching areas or realms

Squire
Jul 18, 2010
568
Ok yeah how is this a glitch ......?

It's just the way it is, because if you switch realms AND areas too fast, you could make your computer freeze up, and no one wants that to happen!

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
776
Stormgem307 on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Ok yeah how is this a glitch ......?

It's just the way it is, because if you switch realms AND areas too fast, you could make your computer freeze up, and no one wants that to happen!
because you didn't switch area or realm and it's still making you wait

Defender
Aug 21, 2013
148
Stormgem307 on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Ok yeah how is this a glitch ......?

It's just the way it is, because if you switch realms AND areas too fast, you could make your computer freeze up, and no one wants that to happen!
I seriously doubt that the reason for the wait is to prevent someones computer from freezing up. More likely, it's to prevent an overload on the servers by people jumping realms/areas too often. After all, if a group of people were changing realms every 5 seconds or so (they show up, look, don't see what/who they are looking for, then switch again), then that's a bit of a load.

I don't recall the OP saying that it's a glitch, only complaining about how it works. If anything, it would be a bug and not a glitch. Difference between the two (IMHO) is that a glitch is something people enjoy and like to make use of (and usually requires doing certain actions), while a bug is not. For example, let's say that after an update, it became possible for you to rename your pets without spending any gold, so long as you knew how to do it. That would be a glitch. Let's also say that after you hatch a pet, your energy drops by half. That would be a bug.

As far as the original issue, I agree that it's ridiculous to have to wait a full minute when you tried to switch but couldn't for whatever reason. I could understand if it were maybe 10 seconds or something, to prevent someone from trying multiple times in a short period of time, but if a switch didn't happen, then there shouldn't be a 60 second wait.

I have a gripe with switching where if I try to switch to a realm, I have to check to see if I really did end up in that realm or a different realm. Bad enough when the realm I want to switch to isn't full but then goes full so I change realms but not into the one I wanted, but even worse when I look again and the realm I wanted is still available (not full).

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
65
I don't mind the 60 second wait, but if the realm we try to switch too is full and we end up staying in the current realm we are in, then we should have to wait 60 seconds to try another.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
92
maybe someone from KI can chime in an explanation about the strange magic that takes to change realms. I suspect that we wizards have to cool off after performing such strange magic and that although it works well when we try to go to less busy realms, the more busy realms have significant other magic interference from all the other wizards and may make your magical realm switch go awry sending you into a different realm (maybe even the one you just left).

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
776
I4C gr8ness on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
maybe someone from KI can chime in an explanation about the strange magic that takes to change realms. I suspect that we wizards have to cool off after performing such strange magic and that although it works well when we try to go to less busy realms, the more busy realms have significant other magic interference from all the other wizards and may make your magical realm switch go awry sending you into a different realm (maybe even the one you just left).
no one gets what am i saying? if you are in realm and switch to an area thats in the SAME realm and the area is full it still uses your timer when your not switching realms or area. much like the bug where if a realm is full it puts you in a random realm rather then letting you know and letting you CHOOSE a different one.

Defender
Aug 21, 2013
148
critical blizzard on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
no one gets what am i saying? if you are in realm and switch to an area thats in the SAME realm and the area is full it still uses your timer when your not switching realms or area. much like the bug where if a realm is full it puts you in a random realm rather then letting you know and letting you CHOOSE a different one.
I get it, completely. I think that if there is going to be a timer, it should be just a few seconds (5 or 10) to prevent potential abuse, but other than that, if it fails to let you port to where you want to go, not make someone wait 60,000 milliseconds to try again.