Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ranked Derby Racing Bugged

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2010
I did a ranked race soon after this update. i race an Epic pet against 2 others. i got first second place finished and the last person left half way through the race. afterwards i was rewarded just 10 Gold. when i looked at my stats i realized it counted as a 4th place (Aluminum Medal) finish! i also saw the person that got second place and notice his counted as a 4th place (Aluminum Medal) as well. i believe Ranked races are glitched and i don't want to keep racing if this doesn't get fixed.
Kyle DragonWhisper

Defender
May 31, 2009
Kyle - I'm afraid this isn't bugged - it's 100% intentional. Not only do you get no tickets but you also get no rank and that's because there IS no 5th age for Derby! If you look at your PvP stats for the 1st - 4th age you can see Derby and Arena ranks on the same page but on the 5th Age there is only Arena stuff.

While Derby has been ignored for years, they have finally taken steps to abandon derby.

For some reason you can still queue up and do a "Ranked", but there no actual rank.

How I wish this was a glitch but so far as I know KI hasn't addressed this ANYWHERE! Here your post has been for a few days and no-one at KI has chimed in - it's terrible.

I wish someone from KI would address this. For those of us that enjoyed that part of the game I really feel like we deserve the courtesy of some acknowledgement for what is going on. The writing has been on the wall for years and years that KI doesn't care, but why now have they gone out of their way to kill Derby? With no rank and no reward for "ranked" races (10 Gold does NOT count as a reward!!!) of course no one will participate in derby.

How could you KI?

Survivor
Feb 23, 2010
Hey Caspeen I appreciate the reply. I know there is no 5th age Derby, but at least let them count as 4th age actual stats. it is absolutely terrible what they have done to the derby, it was such a fun part of the game, and a big part of the game for me. They should be adding races to special events not making them more and more obsolete.

Defender
May 31, 2009
Kyle DragonWhisper on May 5, 2022 wrote:
Hey Caspeen I appreciate the reply. I know there is no 5th age Derby, but at least let them count as 4th age actual stats. it is absolutely terrible what they have done to the derby, it was such a fun part of the game, and a big part of the game for me. They should be adding races to special events not making them more and more obsolete.
Exactly Kyle - why wasn't derby added into the Pet Promenade? We get points for training pets - requires snacks - and for hatching - requires gold - it would've been so easy to add in / replace one of those requirements with a "do one PRACTICE derby race". Sure, some people might just go through the motion and it might not be quite the same as doing a real race, unless, of course, KI also did....

Make PRACTICE derby races another way to train your pet! This idea is soooooo obvious and I have no doubt that doing this would've saved derby. Back in 2012 KI gave players the ability to feed pets twice after a derby race which sounded like a good idea but inexplicably this was only in RANKED? Why? Why would you race a pet that still needed to be trained if your derby rank was on the line? As it turns out, that was only the tip of the iceburg of just how little KI really knew or cared about Derby. If they had given players the same option in Practice, however....game changer. I always contended that derby wasn't more popular because most folks didn't understand it and the best "fix" for that was to give people more reason to race. And there's plenty of evidence to prove the power of incentives - look no further than gardening. Is it fun? Heck no! But do most people garden? Heck yeah - because there is plenty of incentive to do it - gold, snacks, tc. If only KI had given Derby some attention - ANY attention - and we wouldn't be where we are today.

Like you, Kyle - Derby has always been a big part of the game for me. Since 2011 I've been hosting Derby tournaments on a fan site where I've posted many, many suggestions on what could be done to improve derby. In fact, I even posted a few times on these boards as well - in 2018 and again in 2020. Alas, to no avail.

How I wish someone at KI could understand the potential that Derby has / had. Pets are such an integral part of the game and Derby was a perfect extension. And unlike so many other additions to the game since KI introduced pet racing - like fishing, and gardening, and photomancy - there were people in the game that LOVED it. So while I'll never understand why KI gave up on it in the first place, I don't think I'll ever forgive them for leaving Derby behind and removing the last reason for anyone to ever race again.

Casp

Survivor
Feb 23, 2010
Completely agree! in 2011 and 2012 the Legit ranked racers had soo many different tournaments going on it was lots of fun. If you're still doing some please let me know. Its really just a disappointment the they neglect Derby so much.

Defender
May 31, 2009
Funny you mention that...there IS a tournament looking for participants! 5000 Crowns for 1st place and 2500 for second....

Not to late to join!