Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions about accuracy

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I don't know if i am missunderstanding something, but my clothing gives me 11% accuracy, so when I cast a spell that is 90% shouldn't it have 100% accuracy and not miss?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Eluminara wrote:
I don't know if i am missunderstanding something, but my clothing gives me 11% accuracy, so when I cast a spell that is 90% shouldn't it have 100% accuracy and not miss?

I think that the best you can get is 98-99%, and there is always a small chance for a fizzle.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
Hero
May 02, 2009
hmm, strange.

From what you said in your first post, your clothes give you +11% accuracy, and casting a 90% accuracy spell with that accuracy boost should hit, since the new accuracy for that spell would evedently be 101%.

The only way it could fizzle would be by a black mantle(non treasure card), which decreases your next spells accuracy by 45%, or by a glitch.

Defender
May 29, 2009

I must be interpreting the % accuracy increase differently from everyone else then. When I equip gear that gives for example, +5% accuracy, I'm reading that like this:

Base spell: 80% accuracy
Gear boost: +5% accuracy

80*1.05 = 84% new accuracy rating. So in your case, it's 90*1.11 = 99.9%

Percentages are usually applied this way. A real world example would be if you buy a bag of potato chips that is normally 20oz. But the advertising says you now get 20% more! Well, you don't get 45oz of potato chips. You get 24 oz (20*1.20). I read the accuracy gear boost the same way.

Yes, you should *almost* never fizzle that spell, but there is a 1 in 1000 chance that you will. It's the only way to calculate it so that it makes sense. This method makes it so that you can never really exceed 100% -- since exceeding 100% accuracy is impossible and meaningless.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
Ok. Thank you guys for answering me. :D

I think 100% accuracy is a possibility because we have 100% accuracy spells.

I guess I am going to assume you are correct Carterma. When you explain it like that, it does make sense.