Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Problems with death bosses and shields.

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 31, 2010
I am fairly new to the game and would like some advice on how my level 50 death wizard can compete better againest death bosses.
I am running into issues where the death boss will use a death shield. Even if I use a prism to convert my spells to life... His death shield will still block the spell to -80%. If I choose to use poison , a 3 round continuing spell , and then use the prism to convert , It will only convert the poison spell one round.
I dont run into this problem frequently , but one boss I played againest last night ran several -80% death shields. So I couldnt use any of my death spells , even with first using the convert to life spell. Luckily I had a few storm spells for backup in my deck to help with the battle , but it was extremely difficult to remove this guy.
Any suggestions ?

Hero
May 02, 2009
I had trouble with this at first, but thanks to a wizard101central post, I found out how to use prisms effectively.

When facing enemies of the same school, the prism goes first. That way, if the enemy uses a shield of the opposite class (say for example, a life enemy uses a death shield), the shield wont activate, and the damage will do it's full damage.

Now heres the catch; if a prism is already placed down, but then a shield for the opposite school is placed after that, then the shield will activate if any traps are placed down.

Sorry if this sounds kinda confusing, but if you want to test it out for yourself, then you could face off against some low ranked same class enemies, or ask one of your friends to test it out with you in the arena (1v1 is the best way this way, imo)

I hope that I helped some.

Seth ShadowCloud-grand fire/storm-former pvp veteran
Seth EmeraldFlame-journeyman(lv.19) myth-former pvp knight
Seth GhostHaven-initiate(lv.14) death
Terri GhostStone-initiate(lv.13) life
Logan StarBloom-initiate(lv.13) storm
-------------------
Blaze DreamStalker-Apprentice(lv.6) death
Paul LifeSong-Apprentice(lv.9) life
-------------------
A good friend

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
I have 2 death grandmasters, and they are awesome. Same school boss's for ANY wizards own school are tough.
When I go against a death boss, I trim my deck out bigtime. Then I put in 4 or 5 blades, 4 or so death traps, a few curses, 7 prisms, 7 wraiths and maybe a couple banshee's. I don't worry about shields. I SOMETIMES toss a couple of 1 pip death spells (death pixie, I think?) to remove a trap if I have to. I can USUALLY get a prism on the first round this way and toss it on him. Then I will blade up and trap up and hit as hard as I can. If you get lucky, you may get a prism on the second round and if he hasn't cast a life shield, you can put a second prism on him, for the next attack.
If you have multiple bad guys, you may want to add a scarecrow or 2 as well. Treasure cards, well, I have a couple of whatever i have handy, though not life.
This strategy has allowed me to solo all of Dragonspyre except for Malistaire, as i just got his quest yesterday.

Hope this makes sense to ya.
Good luck,
Cody Skullblood
Blake Firehammer

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
I haven't played my death wizard in a couple months, but I have never seen a death boss use a death shield. In fact they don't seem to shield at all: the other schools all shield with the "opposite" school shield but I have never seen death use the life shield.

Are you sure there wasn't a second enemy who shielded your boss? That can happen. As for using the prism against a death shield, remember the prisms/shields/traps trigger in reverse order: The most recently placed one triggers first. So you can place a death prism over a death shield with no problem: The prism will convert the spell to life and it will pass right through the death shield.

For any of the schools, it is a good idea to have a wand from the opposing school. That way if they shield before you get up your prism, you can just knock off the shield. before you cast your spell.

Anyway, hope this helps. And if death really is now shielding itself with death shields, please let me know!

Defender
May 31, 2010
Addisons Post .
I haven't played my death wizard in a couple months, but I have never seen a death boss use a death shield. In fact they don't seem to shield at all: the other schools all shield with the "opposite" school shield but I have never seen death use the life shield.

Yes it was one of the death bosses in DS, and they were using death shields on themself. (several) No one else in battle shielding them.

So you can place a death prism over a death shield with no problem: The prism will convert the spell to life and it will pass right through the death shield.

I found this not to be the case. If a death boss who is running a death shield, has a convert death to life prism on them . The next death spell will read as a death spell to the shield then it hits the prism with a -80 life spell. I guess what I am wanting is a way for the spell I cast to be read by the prism first , then the shield.

For any of the schools, it is a good idea to have a wand from the opposing school. That way if they shield before you get up your prism, you can just knock off the shield. before you cast your spell.

If I am using a life wand on a death boss , It won't remove the death shield. I cant use a death wand either , as most of the time I try to set up the bosses , with +30, +40 , feint etc before I hit them. I always try to use a life wand with death bosses , I never want to accidently use death wand and destroy one of my setups. Which is one mistake I have learned the hard way , several times ,, lol.

Explorer
May 22, 2009
flash33 wrote:
Now heres the catch; if a prism is already placed down, but then a shield for the opposite school is placed after that, then the shield will activate if any traps are placed down.

That statement is incorrect. If you place the convert, then after the convert is placed a shield comes out for the type that the convert converts the attack to, it will be null and void, regardless of traps placed on it.

MsSandy121 wrote:
I am fairly new to the game and would like some advice on how my level 50 death wizard can compete better againest death bosses.
I am running into issues where the death boss will use a death shield. Even if I use a prism to convert my spells to life... His death shield will still block the spell to -80%. If I choose to use poison , a 3 round continuing spell , and then use the prism to convert , It will only convert the poison spell one round.
I dont run into this problem frequently , but one boss I played againest last night ran several -80% death shields. So I couldnt use any of my death spells , even with first using the convert to life spell. Luckily I had a few storm spells for backup in my deck to help with the battle , but it was extremely difficult to remove this guy.
Any suggestions ?

Ok, first of all i have never run into a death boss that has shielded death. In fact, i have never run into a death ENEMY that has SHIELDED period. But the infection, it is doing 4 seperate attack, one for the first, that put the DoT on it, and the 3 DoT hits. This means it requires 4 prisms. Hope that helps.