Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Problematic math?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Maybe this is intended, but I thought I should bring it up.

It has come to my attention that the boost to damage isn't being calculated, at least not as one would be led to believe. On my wizard, I have the following Balance damage boosts:

23% (Majoris Runners of Cohesion)
22% (Poseidon's Armor of Depths)
17% (Trader's Hood of Fairness)
15% (Majoris Relic of Cohesion)
15% (Blade of the Felled Titan)
10% (Alpha and Omega Ring)
3% (Miss Peanut, by adorable Flying Squirrel)

On my character's stats page, it shows a boost of 105%, which is what all the values above come out to when added up. However, the actual boost is slightly less than that. When using Morganthe's Will (470 ), the resulting damage is 962 instead of 964 (or 963 if the .5 is ignored vs rounded off).

Having pondered on why there was a bit of a difference, even if only a minor amount, I decided to see if there was another way to play with the numbers to come out to 962, and the closest I found would actually be 961. That is to take the 470 damage, and then take the boost percentages separately, adding them up at the end. ie, still not 105% (as indicated in the character's stats page), but at least seemingly closer to what it's coming up with. To further explain it, in case anyone isn't following what I mean, I am talking about multiplying 470 by each percent separately to get individual whole values (ie no decimals) and then adding those values together.

470 x (23%=108.1) + (22%=103.4) + (17%=79.9) + (15%=70.5) + (15%=70.5) + (10%=47.0) + (3%=14.1) = 961

Either way you look at it, it doesn't come out right. If the values are rounded off before adding, then the result would be 964 (the .9 and .5's would each round up, adding 1 to each, thus 961 + 3 = 964). If the decimals are added as-is, then the aforementioned 963.5 (either rounded off or the decimal dropped) would apply.

So, is this a bug of some sort that has so far gone unnoticed, or is there a valid explanation for why the values are less than expected?

I've also noticed the same issue when using spells, so it's not just a issue.

I do want to point out that despite the discrepancy I've pointed out above, I actually like the resulting value being 962, as if I happen to critical, it's 1924, and when farming Halfang with others, it provides a change of killing all the minions while leaving Halfang with only 1 health left. Not only makes for a quick battle after everyone is in and will get loot from the boss, but also provides some humor when his remaining health is noticed.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
I think this is because the damage boost displayed for pets is rounded up, while the actual boost is not: if the damage boost from your pet were, say, 2.7%, it would display as "+3%" but would still only boost your damage by 2.7% (and if your pet's damage boost is 2.7%, your total boost would be +104.7%, and 470 + 104.7% = 962.1 ).

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Ellie Spellwalker on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
I think this is because the damage boost displayed for pets is rounded up, while the actual boost is not: if the damage boost from your pet were, say, 2.7%, it would display as "+3%" but would still only boost your damage by 2.7% (and if your pet's damage boost is 2.7%, your total boost would be +104.7%, and 470 + 104.7% = 962.1 ).
I checked and sure enough, the boost is 2.7%. When the actual percentage isn't the value being shown, ie, rounded off value is .1% or more from actual, I think the game should show something like <105% (or >104% if the difference is more), so that it's known that it's not exactly that amount.