Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Possible Hacking by other accounts?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 27, 2010
Today I was asked by a newly added "friend" (not in real life, just in the game) if I wanted to receive some crowns for free. He claimed that his uncle worked at Kingsisle for the previous 5 years and that he had the software to give away such free items. At first I thought it might be legit, but something about the conversation made me suspiciious.
The supposed uncle constantly tried to make reassurances that everything was safe and that there was no way for him to do anything to me. After about five minutes of small talk and constant reassurances, he said that in order to continue with the application, he would need things like my username, password, and other information. After hearing this I immediately decided he was asking too much to be safe so I told him I had a change of heart. Instead of accepting this nicely, he continued to try reassuring me and coercing me into giving the information. When he failed to do so he promptly removed me as a "friend".
I'm worried that he may have been able to do something through Wizard101 during the time he had me talking to him. I'm bad when it comes to technology and I distrust it so much, that is why I'd like to know if it's possible for him to have done anything and what I can do about it. Also, is there a way for me to report him to Kingsisle? Thank you.

Administrator
KingsIsle employees have their own badge. If someone claims they are a KingsIsle employee but they cannot show you this badge, report them immediately.

KingsIsle Employees will NEVER ask for your password, ever, under any circumstances.

If you encounter this person again, report them immediately for impersonation of a KI employee!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 27, 2010
Is it possible though for a member to infiltrate my computer through Wizard101 if they only have my screenname (not username)? I'm scared to go back on in case he managed to do anything while we were talking. He said things like my account might be deleted and other stuff. Do I need to worry?

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
you report anybody who asks for your password and username IMMEDIATLELY! no matter what they offer. is giving away your account info worth a few crowns? they probably wont have any in the first place. everyone should pay attention to this!

Administrator
arty9 wrote:
Is it possible though for a member to infiltrate my computer through Wizard101 if they only have my screenname (not username)? I'm scared to go back on in case he managed to do anything while we were talking. He said things like my account might be deleted and other stuff. Do I need to worry?

You should be fine. Your screen name is not something that can likely be used to infiltrate your computer. Heavens, you're probably not the only person in the game with your screen name.

As Professor Greyrose said, only people with the correct badge (under their name) are KingsIsle employees. If they can't - or won't - show it to you, then they are not a KingsIsle employee. In that case, they are a normal player and normal players can't delete or change your account or wizards, unless they get your account and password. As kaleeraisen mentioned, NEVER give out your password - even KingsIsle won't ever ask for your password!

If all they have is your screen name, you should be fine.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Explorer
Aug 18, 2010
so do workers for the game actually run round with random chars and look for problems?

if so then they need to make low lvl chars and stand round commons in all realms to watch for swearing round filters cause that happens ALL the time

Administrator
We do patrol the world, however keep in mind that we have given the power to the players.
Every single member, age 13+, is a moderator. We’ve given our players the ability to report inappropriate chat or behavior, and we encourage you to act responsibly and use this tool.

Each and every report is read by a real person, and acted upon accordingly. Egregious or repeated violations of the Terms of Use will result in a permanent account ban and deletion of your characters.

False reports are also not tolerated, and can result in sanctions against the players making the false reports.

We put the power of moderation in the hands of our players; you can make a difference in Wizard101.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Feb 28, 2010
The one thing I would like to see after a report is made and KI has taken appropriate action against the accused, that a follow up email from Kingsisle is sent to the person who reported advising them that the matter has been dealt with and preferably how it was dealt with. Whether the person only received a warning, received a certain period of time ban or permanent ban.

If KI has given 13+ the power to report, then we should also have the right to know what has happened with our reports.

I say this only because I have heard many wizards running around shooting their mouths off, swearing, harassing others, and when you ask them to stop and tell them if they don't they'll get reported, their statements are that they have been reported hundreds of times and KI doesn't do anything. This really does discourage most from bothering to report anymore as we start to feel what's the use!

I also don't feel there is enough character space for reporting. Half of the time you can't even type everything that the person said. Can this not be changed to the type of text entry box you have in test realm for bugs, ideas and comments? At least 100 characters would be nice.