Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please fix throne room of fire

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 02, 2011
I don't know what the design thought process was when this dungeon was designed, but the game back then was vastly different than the game today. A lot of the game has been tweaked and adjusted along the way, but throne room of fire hasn't been touched.

The big problem? The monsters don't stick with their schools when casting spells.

An example: The krokomummys in the dungeon are death school, but the only death attack I ever see them play is dark sprite. They start the round by hitting with weakness - not a death school card, and then usually cast storm bats. Once in a while they cast dark sprite.

I don't have much of a problem with the monsters casting stuff that's not from their school once in a while, but there are a lot of other death attacks they could use and never do. As often as they cast storm bats, they should be considered storm school, not death.

Then there is the annoying quest bug. I've had this happen over and over on a number of wizards. It goes like this:
My wizard will have finally gotten throne room of fire as a quest and I'll start it. For various reasons, I won't be able to finish it. The next step, such as explore the platform or talk to professor winthrop in throne room of fire, will stay in my quest book. Eventually, I'll get a chance to get that wizard back into the dungeon and finish that step. But at that point, the entire quest tends to go to sleep. It might change in my quest book but I never get told the next step and usually I wind up having to redo the dungeon all the way through including planting the staff again and finding the location of the order of the fang in order to proceed with the actual quest.

It would also be nice if, once the staff was planted and the ray of light shot out to illuminate where the order of the fang is, that the camera would follow that light, zoom in on the location on the 3d map, and let me see where it is.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
tanda1 on Apr 14, 2013 wrote:
I don't know what the design thought process was when this dungeon was designed, but the game back then was vastly different than the game today. A lot of the game has been tweaked and adjusted along the way, but throne room of fire hasn't been touched.

The big problem? The monsters don't stick with their schools when casting spells.

An example: The krokomummys in the dungeon are death school, but the only death attack I ever see them play is dark sprite. They start the round by hitting with weakness - not a death school card, and then usually cast storm bats. Once in a while they cast dark sprite.

I don't have much of a problem with the monsters casting stuff that's not from their school once in a while, but there are a lot of other death attacks they could use and never do. As often as they cast storm bats, they should be considered storm school, not death.

Then there is the annoying quest bug. I've had this happen over and over on a number of wizards. It goes like this:
My wizard will have finally gotten throne room of fire as a quest and I'll start it. For various reasons, I won't be able to finish it. The next step, such as explore the platform or talk to professor winthrop in throne room of fire, will stay in my quest book. Eventually, I'll get a chance to get that wizard back into the dungeon and finish that step. But at that point, the entire quest tends to go to sleep. It might change in my quest book but I never get told the next step and usually I wind up having to redo the dungeon all the way through including planting the staff again and finding the location of the order of the fang in order to proceed with the actual quest.

It would also be nice if, once the staff was planted and the ray of light shot out to illuminate where the order of the fang is, that the camera would follow that light, zoom in on the location on the 3d map, and let me see where it is.
There is nothing wrong with this quest. Or the bosses. Or mobs. Very few creatures use only their 'school' spells.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
tanda1 on Apr 14, 2013 wrote:

unfortunately, this is not a bug, and it only gets worse as you level up.

until level 50 or so, monsters have all spells from all schools available to them; the closer you get to dragonspyre, the worse the weakness-spamming gets, so always carry another school's wand (so you can get rid of it without losing all of your blades).*

*if you are balance, it doesn't matter which wand you use; because your blades and traps are universal, you will lose them if you cast a wand spell. so fill your inventory with cleanse charm (nothing else) and hope for the best,

ice mobs are the absolute worst... weakness and tower shield are pretty much the only spells they know. and, because ki loves us players and doesn't want us to rip our hair out strand-by-strand, the mobs now spam black mantle as well; meaning that, in addition to constantly wanding off weakness, we now also have a 45% chance of fizzling. couldn't have planned it better myself, really.

-

you said:

this is because it's a dungeon. if you log out, or are away from your computer for more than 30 minutes, the instance resets and you will have to start over from the beginning, regardless of what is in your quest book.

best of luck & happy questing~

-von
promethean sorceress & necromancer,
trans diviner,
grandmaster theurgist,
magus conjurer & thaumaturge,
adept pyromancer.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
My first-line approach to dealing with smorgasbord mobs is to have a high health. If I don't know what's coming, sometimes there's nothing for it but to take an unshielded cyclops or bats to the face.

Other measures include using tower shield, using amulets with weakness/sprite/tower shield, and spending training points to get any of the above generic defensive spells.

But if you don't draw your defensive spells, and this happens more often than you want, you still need to survive and that's where having lots of health comes in. You get some gear in Krokotopia that gives you 100+ health, sometimes 140 depending on your school. Use it. Even the dropped 5-7% school-resistance gear is not as good for you in Krok, because the damage level of spells against you is low in general. You'd only be preventing about 20-60 damage over three rounds. The exception may be when you face two additional Fire minions in Beguiler. You really want fire resistant pants there, because you'll be taking around 600-900 damage a turn otherwise.

Try porting to someone who's just ahead of where you are, and watching a few battles. Look at what the monsters are using and plan accordingly. It will also help to know that even if a monster is using all seven flavors of magic, he or she has only one "school" which means your spells of the opposite school will do extra damage.

If you see a lot of weakness/black spam, equip a wand with 4 or more attacks.

as for quest glitches, I remember this happened to me in Wysteria when I closed the goblin portal. Nothing happened! The portal disappeared, but I got no "go talk to so-and-so" or xp or gold or anything else. And it remained in my quest queue as unfinished. I logged off and came back a day or so later and it had disappeared, but I still didn't get any xp or whatever that quest ends with. Not really a huge issue to me, but if you can't continue because of it, by all means submit a ticket.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
RavenLady777 on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with this quest. Or the bosses. Or mobs. Very few creatures use only their 'school' spells.
Yeah, there is. you didn't read my entire post, did you. There IS a quest bug

However

The main issue is that since the creatures are death, they need to cast DEATH spells along with all their non death spells. They don't even stick to the group. Death is part of spirit - life/myth/death. They cast all sorts of random stuff primarily because the originally designers probably wanted them to be hard to beat and just gave them tough attacks with no thought for actual game design.

The dungeon needs to be updated and redesigned.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on Apr 19, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, there is. you didn't read my entire post, did you. There IS a quest bug

However

The main issue is that since the creatures are death, they need to cast DEATH spells along with all their non death spells. They don't even stick to the group. Death is part of spirit - life/myth/death. They cast all sorts of random stuff primarily because the originally designers probably wanted them to be hard to beat and just gave them tough attacks with no thought for actual game design.

The dungeon needs to be updated and redesigned.
I DID read it, thank you.
ALL bosses cast spells that are not of their school. This starts in Unicorn Way and only gets more difficult with each world. Look at Foulgaze in the Shopping District as an early example. He is death. He casts Ice and Fire, and ice much more than any other spell. Adapt. KI isn't going to change it.
The dungeon works. Again, I just did it. There is no bug.