Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pip pip away!

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 23, 2009
Okay this may not be a big deal but why is it that before celestian as a storm GM there was nothing wrong with my pips. Now that I am a legend I can seem to get power pips consistantly.

Now i know that many people will point out the obvious shortage in my pip chance. But that [pip chance] is lower only when compared to other schools not lower gear. In fact at 70 (and mine is higher then that) I still have much more of a pip chance now then i did then i did as a GM pre celestia but i get pips less frequently.

So I can only guess that the gear from waterworks signals to the game to lower the overrall chances making the pip chance look high from a prospective of a newer wiz looking at the stats but essentially acts in battle closer to what i was getting in Mooshu. My guess is that it is being done to "balance" storms new damage factor and new overpowered spells. (yea i am talking from a storm wiz's pov) you make it so that pip chance was lowered. But that is lame. I am often faced with a boss and henchmen who hit me full force with 8 pips (four power pips) right off the top and i look down and all i have is one power pip and a pip. Really? By the second round i am scrambling to find a shield or a heal and i got no pips.

If no one else understands this i think KI programmers will. So my question is; what gives?

It would seem that the bosses all cheat now AND while the gear is awesome and the new spells great there is a that and the bad somehow always tips the scales in the house's favor.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Is it the gear or the environment you dueling in?

There was another thread recently about the chances that fizzling was increased for certain areas (although fizzles are still random) or lowered in others. While a person's gear would help alleviate that increase, there was still a hidden increase. All speculation, but a different perspective to your observation.

Maybe the power pip percentage is lowered for everyone within the Waterworks or Nastrond? How often do you get power pips in Unicorn Way or Colossus Boulevard?

Maybe there really is a need for Balance's global spell?

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
All I can add to the conversation is two observations:

First, my legendary Storm gets regular pips almost every battle and their are times when he gets multiple regular pips. There are also battles where he gets all power pips. I have accepted it and not delved into the "chances".
There are tradeoffs in the game with one of them being that Storm does not get the highest power pip percentage and this translates in regular power pips which occasionally means you have to wait another turn.

Second, my Life wiz can attain a 100% power pip percentage which means 100% of the time I could cast Forest Lord on my third turn. He has never recieved a regular power pip when equipped for 100% power pips.
Conversely, if I tweak his pet and equipment to add accuracy then my power pip percentage dips to about 96%. A slight change you might think, but then almost every other battle he recieves a regular pip and has to wait until the 4th turn to cast Forest Lord. The tradeoff here ( which I could spend days complaining about) is that Life does not get any Accuracy bonuses from their legendary gear.

My guess is that your memory of being a Storm GM is incorrect or you had a "lucky" streak of success that skewed you impression.
Short of any collaborated scientific study or a press release from KI I am not going to entertain any ideas that the Power Pip percentage or the Accuracy Percentage is being manipulated in certain situations.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
Short of any collaborated scientific study or a press release from KI I am not going to entertain any ideas that the Power Pip percentage or the Accuracy Percentage is being manipulated in certain situations.

I can't speak for the power pip percentage, but the accuracy is manipulated in certain situations. See the following thread where Merle Ambrose hints at a "secret" formula used to keep wizards from fizzling over and over (Like the chance amount of times it takes to get a Bone Dragon Mount in Dragon's Hoard pack ).

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/1414.ftl

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
kingurz wrote:
I can't speak for the power pip percentage, but the accuracy is manipulated in certain situations. See the following thread where Merle Ambrose hints at a "secret" formula used to keep wizards from fizzling over and over (Like the chance amount of times it takes to get a Bone Dragon Mount in Dragon's Hoard pack ).

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/1414.ftl

Nice link. Very interesting...
Thanks for sharing.