Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

People continuously fleeing dungeons

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
Yesterday, I duo-ed Mount Olympus with a friend who sadly had to leave right when we only had Zeus left to kill.

So today I tried to pick up where I left off, but each time I ask if anyone needs Mount Olympus, people say yes and enter with me, just to either leave straight away or flee the very first battle without a single word.

It's highly annoying and wasting the time of people who try to get a team going for a specific dungeon.

Unfortunately, the names in this game are not very memorable and often very similar so it's hard to remember them to report the ones who continuously enter and leave.
So I'd like to see the names listed in the chat upon entering the dungeon, with an option to click and report should there need be, just as if they had talked in the chat.
Also, I'd like those people to be warned and if they keep doing it, they need to be banned from dungeons altogether as it's a form of trolling in my book.

Of course I heard excuses of the ones when I called them out after I returned to town, for example, they claimed to have had the wrong card set. However, if that was the case, nothing kept them from saying so and returning after fleeing and changing, which they didn't do.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Sanshiru on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:
Yesterday, I duo-ed Mount Olympus with a friend who sadly had to leave right when we only had Zeus left to kill.

So today I tried to pick up where I left off, but each time I ask if anyone needs Mount Olympus, people say yes and enter with me, just to either leave straight away or flee the very first battle without a single word.

It's highly annoying and wasting the time of people who try to get a team going for a specific dungeon.

Unfortunately, the names in this game are not very memorable and often very similar so it's hard to remember them to report the ones who continuously enter and leave.
So I'd like to see the names listed in the chat upon entering the dungeon, with an option to click and report should there need be, just as if they had talked in the chat.
Also, I'd like those people to be warned and if they keep doing it, they need to be banned from dungeons altogether as it's a form of trolling in my book.

Of course I heard excuses of the ones when I called them out after I returned to town, for example, they claimed to have had the wrong card set. However, if that was the case, nothing kept them from saying so and returning after fleeing and changing, which they didn't do.
I ended up soloing due to just this issue. It's completely out of hand and there's really nothing you can do.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Sanshiru on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:

I fully understand how frustrating this is (happens to me too), but what you are describing is NOT a reportable offense.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/reportable-offences-22653

Players are muted for violations of the Terms of Use.

If you were muted for an extended period of time, we chose to mute your account rather than outright ban your account from playing Wizard101.

When you were muted, you were sent an email explaining the violation and the repercussions. If you wish to appeal the mute, you can reply to the email you were sent. If you did not provide a valid email address when you registered for Wizard101, you cannot receive notifications from us regarding your account.

3. What is considered a Reportable Offense?
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

4. What is NOT considered a Reportable Offense?
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Rude and obnoxious are not reportable offenses, sad to say.

I too have seen irritating behavior at this dungeon. I actually ended up going back though it with a menu chat player because he was running around frantically looking for someone to do the dungeon with him and all the cool gang were doing was calling him names.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I my self to hate when this happens, but just because they leave with out telling you, dose not mean they are trolling. And being compliantly banned from dungeons, that would make them not be able to progress. Maybe even an emergency happened, and all you care about is them not telling you. I think this post is a little selfish. Everyone has to leave randomly sometimes, either because their power went out, and emergency happened, or they just decided they don't want to do the dungeon anymore.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 90

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
i hate to say it, but in some games, fleeing like this causes a penalty because of the nature of this kind of act, one game i play gives a one hour penalty due to people who enter and flee to grief others, it would seriously improve the quality of the game play and make a griefer think twice before intentionaly leaving anyone to fight these solo or anywhere else, it is popular in MMO culture, it sorts the trolls from the players, and it shows they are serious about playing the game

lets hope KI follows suit

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Please be aware that even if you knew their name you can't report them. Rudeness is not a reportable offence. It is hugely annoying but there is nothing you can really do but delete them and go on.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2010
No I don't think it is against the rules to do that but yes it is annoying

Explorer
Jun 15, 2009
i have to agree, you can't judge on the look of the wizard or the name there of, i have seen for example, 4 Luke Skywalkers in one spot, no joke.

plus if they DO issue temporarty cooldowns, it would be the BEST way to handle it, since there is no "true" trouble being caused superficially, there is not a whole lot that CAN be done other then for them to do a cooldown, if the people entering are serious and want to enter with the people they enter with, then they are also serious at higher levels where people are NEEDED in these dungeons, and are willing to take a cooldown should they bail on that team.

THIS would be the BEST outcome to this issue, and if they had something to do out of game, that cooldown would long be over by the time they sit back down and log back in.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Unfortunately, trying to do a dungeon with random wizards is a risky proposition. I would say 3 out of 4 attempts end up being a frustrating experience. Either wizards flee or they have absolutely no skills or they have extremely poor gear and die fast, or they end up being verbally abusive, or any number of things that make playing dungeons with random wizards a risk and a bad experience.

I think maybe young kids enter a dungeon thinking it will only take 15 minutes and when they realize how long it's going to take, they flee, cause they live in an instant gratification world.

Currently, being a solo wizard trying to have some fun in Aquila is mostly a losing situation. Fighting secret bosses is a little better since it is only one fight. But the battle at the sigil to funnel two different goals into one sigil is ridiculous.

There has to be a better way.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I'm tired of reading "We can't do anything." The original poster brings up a serious issue. Let's think creatively. What can we do?

Here are some of my ideas, some terrible, maybe some decent:
  • A Reputation system; reputation (green players-nice, yellow players-got in trouble recently, red players-gets in trouble a lot) is set by hall monitors or automatically by computer. This would help with more than just dungeons, it would actually make an incentive for everyone to behave all the time.

• Payment to enter dungeons; if players had to give up something in order to get into a dungeon, like Gold, Energy, or a rare drop "Dungeon Key" item, suddenly fleeing looks like a bad deal. Players only have so much they can waste. Causes problems when you have to re-enter a dungeon if you die though.

• Dungeon slots; just like with crafting and hatching, slots have to cool down before you can do it again. This causes problems when people have to flee so they can heal or buy potions though.

• Improve menu chat options; this is not a direct solution, but it would help. Wizards should organize what they can do before they go into a dungeon. They should be able to say things like "My attacks are very strong," "I can heal other players," "I can resist a lot of damage," or "I can give the team boosts," and so on. This helps you make teams you would actually want to play on. Because the teammates people don't want, but usually get anyway, would say "I only play for myself, I don't believe in teamwork."

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Oran of Urz on Sep 10, 2013 wrote:
I fully understand how frustrating this is (happens to me too), but what you are describing is NOT a reportable offense.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/reportable-offences-22653

Players are muted for violations of the Terms of Use.

If you were muted for an extended period of time, we chose to mute your account rather than outright ban your account from playing Wizard101.

When you were muted, you were sent an email explaining the violation and the repercussions. If you wish to appeal the mute, you can reply to the email you were sent. If you did not provide a valid email address when you registered for Wizard101, you cannot receive notifications from us regarding your account.

3. What is considered a Reportable Offense?
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

4. What is NOT considered a Reportable Offense?
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).
Well then, it should be made a reportable offense to enter a dungeon, then leave for no valid reason. Why should it be ok to waste my time like that.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
I must say it's sad to see that there are seemingly many people experiencing this issue.

As there have been a few interesting point being made, here my thoughts on them:

It's not rude when people enter a dungeon and then leave straight away and that over and over, it's harassment.
They clearly have no other intention, but to lower the game-play experience of other people, which is especially frustrating when you (like most of us I suppose) spend money on enjoying this game to it's fullest.
Rude behaviour can be blocked with the ignore button, but harassment of this kind can't be avoided, specially if you are on at a time where there are only 2 crowded servers so finding someone to team up with is hard enough already without those trolls.

Also, this is not about people who leave a dungeon after a few battles, because they have to tend to their offline lives or because they don't get along with the people they entered the dungeon with (or indeed those who accidentally enter with someone unintentionally because they pressed the wrong key while near the entrance). This is specifically about those as mentioned above, he continuously do this.

Lucas Rain's suggestions are worth a thought, though I think they would heavily penalize everyone who just wants to enjoy the game. Which seems rather unfair as it's the majority who behaves appropriately (or so I'd like to think).
Instead I would suggest:

- Change the coding so that people who aren't in a team don't end up in the same instance of the dungeon

and/or

- Improve the ignore list so that it doesn't only block the chat of people listed in it, but also blocks people from entering a dungeon with you. In addition to this, I also suggest that people that enter a dungeon together are listed in the chat with the same menu options as if they had said something, so one can add them to the ignore list should they turn out to be trolls.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
Lucas Rain on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
I'm tired of reading "We can't do anything." The original poster brings up a serious issue. Let's think creatively. What can we do?

Here are some of my ideas, some terrible, maybe some decent:
  • A Reputation system; reputation (green players-nice, yellow players-got in trouble recently, red players-gets in trouble a lot) is set by hall monitors or automatically by computer. This would help with more than just dungeons, it would actually make an incentive for everyone to behave all the time.

• Payment to enter dungeons; if players had to give up something in order to get into a dungeon, like Gold, Energy, or a rare drop "Dungeon Key" item, suddenly fleeing looks like a bad deal. Players only have so much they can waste. Causes problems when you have to re-enter a dungeon if you die though.

• Dungeon slots; just like with crafting and hatching, slots have to cool down before you can do it again. This causes problems when people have to flee so they can heal or buy potions though.

• Improve menu chat options; this is not a direct solution, but it would help. Wizards should organize what they can do before they go into a dungeon. They should be able to say things like "My attacks are very strong," "I can heal other players," "I can resist a lot of damage," or "I can give the team boosts," and so on. This helps you make teams you would actually want to play on. Because the teammates people don't want, but usually get anyway, would say "I only play for myself, I don't believe in teamwork."
I strongly disagree with all of your ideas except the one about menu chat improvements. As I have connection issues, I would not appreciate having to give something up in order to enter a dungeon, nor would I appreciate having Dungeon slots that would prevent me from re-entering the dungeon if I lost connection . Having a reputation system would, in my opinion, be a bad idea that could lead to many problems. I do think that the menu chat needs big improvements so players without text chat can work together with others better.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
Please don't attack me for saying this; I'm just stating my opinion!:

Having any kind of penalty for fleeing a dungeon or battle would most likely upset the younger players. They would probably feel worse if they got reported for it ( My younger cousin cried when she got reported for fleeing!) This is supposed to be a family game, and I feel that these kind of things would make the game a less family friendly. I've often had people flee from battles and leave me to fight by myself, but I try to let it go as I understand there are young children playing the game.

Rebecca Bright Level 90
Miranda Shadowflame Level 90
Sabrina Emeraldblossom Level 86
Victoria Roseblood Level 82
Diana Moonflower Level 79
Christina Goldenheart Level 78

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Anyone can leave at any time. No one should be punished for doing so. It is not against the rules, and not reportable. Players have all kinds of things that can happen both in game and in real life that could make them have to go unexpectedly. They might also be having a problem with the fight, have forgotten gear or spell they need and have to start over, or have an issue with another player. While I agree that it is rude to start an instance with other players and not finish it, it is also rude to assume that other players are only there for you. The best course of action is to agree to team before you go in, then work together.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Sanshiru on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
I must say it's sad to see that there are seemingly many people experiencing this issue.

As there have been a few interesting point being made, here my thoughts on them:

It's not rude when people enter a dungeon and then leave straight away and that over and over, it's harassment.
They clearly have no other intention, but to lower the game-play experience of other people, which is especially frustrating when you (like most of us I suppose) spend money on enjoying this game to it's fullest.
Rude behaviour can be blocked with the ignore button, but harassment of this kind can't be avoided, specially if you are on at a time where there are only 2 crowded servers so finding someone to team up with is hard enough already without those trolls.

Also, this is not about people who leave a dungeon after a few battles, because they have to tend to their offline lives or because they don't get along with the people they entered the dungeon with (or indeed those who accidentally enter with someone unintentionally because they pressed the wrong key while near the entrance). This is specifically about those as mentioned above, he continuously do this.

Lucas Rain's suggestions are worth a thought, though I think they would heavily penalize everyone who just wants to enjoy the game. Which seems rather unfair as it's the majority who behaves appropriately (or so I'd like to think).
Instead I would suggest:

- Change the coding so that people who aren't in a team don't end up in the same instance of the dungeon

and/or

- Improve the ignore list so that it doesn't only block the chat of people listed in it, but also blocks people from entering a dungeon with you. In addition to this, I also suggest that people that enter a dungeon together are listed in the chat with the same menu options as if they had said something, so one can add them to the ignore list should they turn out to be trolls.
The harrassment you mention can be avoided. The harrassment can't continue by the same exact person if you change realms. KI has given us the tools to deal with specific incidents even if long-term solutions are not available.

There are too many different realms for the "harasser" to find you and continue the harassment, but if you stick around and keep trying the same realm dungeon....well it's definitely going to be frustrating day.

Now, players that jump on the sigil while you are trying to go back in and join your group is a different story (since you can't change realms), but that is not what the OP is describing above.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
Question: Did you read my post? It appears you didn't as I am now repeating myself:

What is the point of changing servers if there are no people on the others when you're trying to find a team to do a dungeon with?

There doesn't need to be a penalty at all if they'd only change that people cannot randomly join the same dungeon, but that they need to be in a team/group in order to enter the same instance.

That's not really asking to much, is it?

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Wow, sorry that happened, but I haven't really seen that being a problem. I'm not sure why you are getting it so much, but if it happens just change to a different realm. There should not be any kind of penalty or cool down. I'm strongly against changing the system, other than better menu chat which is needed very much.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Sanshiru on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:

Instead I would suggest:

and/or

Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is nothing new.

And "rudeness" only becomes harassment when there is a rules violation involved. Despite how extremely inconsiderate their behaviour is, there are no rules being broken; therefore, KI will not consider it harassment.

If you report people for this, you risk sanctions against your own account for false reports or a loss of reporting privileges.

I agree with your proposed changes to the ignore-list~ I'd also like to add to them:

the people you ignore should not be able to interact with you in any way: they can't jump on hatchers with you, enter your dungeons, join your pvp matches, watch any of your arena duels, or port to a friend who is at any of the above locations with you.

-v.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2011
Dr Von on Sep 20, 2013 wrote:
Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is nothing new.

And "rudeness" only becomes harassment when there is a rules violation involved. Despite how extremely inconsiderate their behaviour is, there are no rules being broken; therefore, KI will not consider it harassment.

If you report people for this, you risk sanctions against your own account for false reports or a loss of reporting privileges.

I agree with your proposed changes to the ignore-list~ I'd also like to add to them:

the people you ignore should not be able to interact with you in any way: they can't jump on hatchers with you, enter your dungeons, join your pvp matches, watch any of your arena duels, or port to a friend who is at any of the above locations with you.

-v.
That sounds a lot like a restraining order

Explorer
Jun 04, 2011
I realize how inconsiderate of people this is, and wish that people would:

1. Ask before joining street battles
2. Make sure they have adequate time when starting a sigil battle/ dungeon
3. If they must leave, make sure that fellow players have the situation handled.

Although this is a pain, and an issue that comes up constantly, we can't really do anything about it, because, as people before have said, it is not a direct violation of rules.

A message for young wizards venturing in the spiral:

Please be considerate of other people's time and effort, and always make sure it is fine if you join another person's battle

Emmaline Iceshard
Lvl. 60 Legendary Thaumaturge

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Sanshiru on Sep 19, 2013 wrote:
Question: Did you read my post? It appears you didn't as I am now repeating myself:

What is the point of changing servers if there are no people on the others when you're trying to find a team to do a dungeon with?

There doesn't need to be a penalty at all if they'd only change that people cannot randomly join the same dungeon, but that they need to be in a team/group in order to enter the same instance.

That's not really asking to much, is it?
1.) I did read your post and was addressing how to stop the "harassment" since you were suggesting a report option that KI indicates is not a reportable offense. From your descriptions, it seems there is a lack of quality players to quest with during your play time, not simply players leaving dungeons early, which is a bigger issue since if they added your suggestions you still wouldn't have enough players to fill out a team (hence why the offender can keep getting on the sigil...no good players to contest them).

2.) If apparently there are no other realms, at all, to find players in, coordinate with the other players in your current realm that aren't conducting the offense action to meet up in another realm (segregrate from the offender). With menu chat members it is much harder to do this; recommend KI add an extra feature to the "Activities" tab.

3.) A "lock out" so only group members can enter with you will certainly reduce the chances a same offender can keep doing it, but it doesn't prevent someone from leaving the dungeon early and creating that initial headache. This suggestion has been asked for many times before. Not for the reasons you stated, but to ensure all group members can enter the instance together without interruption.

4.) Your other suggestion of "locking out" anyone on ignore isn't simple, since everyone else on the sigil would need to have that player on "lock out." If it only required one person with ignore, it will become an even greater problem of finding people to do dungeons with given someone could be "locked out" that you've never even met before.

5.) It isn't asking for much, but since your group only suggestion has been asked for many times over the years, I assume it is harder to implement than the perception. I am only offering advice and alternatives for what you can do now. Even if KI was to take your suggestions in this thread and work them right now, it will probably be a few months before they hit live. Not sure if you will still be interested in that same dungeon then. Moving realms with your current group is a valid option today.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
my friend did that same thing she left right there i got so mad

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Rebecca Bright on Sep 20, 2013 wrote:
That sounds a lot like a restraining order
As it should be.

If you're ignoring someone because they bother or harass you verbally, they shouldn't be allowed to continue their behaviour through other means. Imagine ignoring someone who spammed you with hatch requests, only to have them start jumping on the sigil with you every time... This sort of irritating behaviour can't be stopped by any means, and that needs fixing.

I was in the arena the other day... The person I was dueling against had a few of her friends port in, and one started running her mouth/swearing at me around the filter from the sidelines. I reported her immediately and put her on ignore~ she must have kept going, because I could see the second half of the conversation: her friend telling her that she was going to get muted (lol).

Now, imagine if she hadn't been allowed in there in the first place, or if putting her on ignore had removed her from the immediate area. Less distractions for me, my opponent, and the other spectators... The Spiral would be a much-nicer place to be in, IMO.

-v.