Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Penalty for wizards that flee when they have full

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Not sure if this is a "new game" or what?

I have a lot of wizards at different levels and seem to be seeing it at all levels. Is it a new game or what?

Some wizards (especially at the higher lands) are joining battles where the ones already there get 4 goons instead of 2...then that wizard flees...

Very rude.

Yes, I do take them off my friends list if it is that they teleported to me and didn't stay to help finish "their" goons.

I thought maybe there was a way to penalize someone joining a battle then fleeing with full mana? I know they lose their mana...but that does not seem to stop them. Rule of thumb is that if a behavior continues the punishment (losing mana) was not severe enough. You know, behavior modification.

For me it is honor...I stay...I have finished battles with 3 mana! LOL...it really doesn't hurt any to die in game. Still, in helping lower level wizards and playing my own lower level wizards...it is harmful to the spirit of fair-play and fun.

What am I saying? We are working in Marleybone and this keeps happening! The two of us can handle any 2 goons...3 maybe...so someone runs in and now we have 4 and they flee. Gee...

Say anyone who flees with less than 10 mana (cause if you only have 10 you may be going out to take a tonic and come back).

Other suggestions?
Can something be done to stop this?

Survivor
Sep 01, 2008
Thats gnarly, I have had it happen to me a couple of times, and I was wondering if this is their way of griefing or pvp?

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I have actually been thinking if people would even do such a thing, since that is the closest thing to MPK'ing players there is.

Apparently they do.

I hope an administrator will read this. While there is a report button for players, you cannot target/inspect a player that enters combat, and definately couldnt after they have fled. It makes the option to report players not quite as feasible.

There should be an option to report players, or to report something directly to a GM without having to target the player's character. As in, being able to report issues and complaints directly through the interface.

If a player MPK's another player, out of spite, or because they think they are high and mighty and better than you, GM's should be obligated to investigate, look through the recent battle log, and suspend the player's account. (Which includes ALL their characters, otherwise they would simply log onto a different character and keep playing.)

Since this game is geared to be a very clean and wonderful playing experience, MPK'ing players should be suspended for 48 to 72 hours to punish that kind of behavior.

Survivor
May 28, 2008
While I have seen this happen once or twice, I've been playing quite a bit of this game and hardly ever have people do this to me. My daughter and my mother both have quite a bit of trouble though. I think the difference is mainly in our playing habits. Here are some ways you can protect yourself:

1)I keep my friends lists extremely clean. I only accept friend requests from people I really trust, or people I know in real life.

2)Anyone who teleports to me without asking is off my friend list.

3)I don't accept friend requests from people without free text chat since those are the ones most likely to cause me grief.

4)Anyone who has lots of friends teleporting to them all the time is removed from my friend list. I removed my mother and daughter from my friend list because of this, HAHA.

5)I never let strangers enter an instance with me. If someone tries to enter without permission, you can hit a movement key while the timer is counting down and it will stop. Then you can change to another server and try again so that they won't enter your instance again.

6) I try to stay off of servers that seem crowded. If there are lots of people in my area when I'm trying to fight, I change servers. That helps to reduce lag too, so it's a win-win situation if you play on empty servers.

7)If I see anyone who keeps saying silly things on chat or sends multiple friend requests after I reject them, I change servers because those are the people likely to do other disruptive things.

Hopefully that will help you out a bit. If you expect a "magic solution" to prevent people from griefing, keep in mind that griefing happens in every MMO. It's impossible to make a multiplayer game where people can't be annoying in some way. On the bright side, the worst that can happen when people behave badly in Wizard 101 is that you end up wasting a bit of time. Since you don't lose any gold, experience, or posessions, it's not really that bad in the long run. If you prefer to be extremely social and help other players all the time, ignoring my advice above, then understand that you are always exposing yourself to the playing habits of the people you choose to play with. It's fun to be social, but that comes with a certain amount of risk and we have to take the bad with the good sometimes.

Defender
Sep 20, 2008
whenever someone does that to me i invitethem to my house, trap them, then remove them so they cant port out
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
Oh, now that's an idea. Except they can just port to the commons. Still a cool idea though.

Anyway, I haven't heard of higher level players doing it, but I have a few people that port to me in the middle of battles and then leave. I need to remember to take them off...

Also, my friend criteria is the same as gswift. Mostly I will friend people who I battle well with and seem at least somewhat competent. The menu chat people I stay away from, since all they seem to do is cause trouble, or just generally be annoying.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
Galen wrote:
whenever someone does that to me i invitethem to my house, trap them, then remove them so they cant port out
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL!! I hate when that happens to me.I delete them from my friends list aswell.I also had people that will jump in a fight with me and then they leave right away.Whats the point in jumping in a fight and then leaving.If i port to my friend and they are in a fight at least i will stay until we beat the guys we are fighting before i leave.

Survivor
May 26, 2008
This is where not letting others jump into a battle unless friended or invited into the battle would be nice, sometimes you are just about done with a long battle are half to 1/4 health and some one comes along and drags yet another mob. Ok whatever there are 2 wizards right? WRONG! there is me with little to no health and the person who just keeps passing ...Grrrrrr that irritates me. Then as I die I get a Haha...

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
i am in marleybone as well and it happens to me a lot there and it is not people in my friends list doing it, it's random people wandering around watching till the battle is almost over then jumping and porting out i guess they get a kick out of killing other players idk, but i wish there was something that could be done about this as it ruins my game play experiance let alone the fact that it kills me and i have to start over again

why dont we have in game mods or a way to report that kind of behavior

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Cynical wrote:

I have a lot of wizards at different levels and seem to be seeing it at all levels. Is it a new game or what?

Some wizards (especially at the higher lands) are joining battles where the ones already there get 4 goons instead of 2...then that wizard flees...

Very rude.

Yes, I do take them off my friends list if it is that they teleported to me and didn't stay to help finish "their" goons.

I thought maybe there was a way to penalize someone joining a battle then fleeing with full mana? I know they lose their mana...but that does not seem to stop them. Rule of thumb is that if a behavior continues the punishment (losing mana) was not severe enough. You know, behavior modification.

For me it is honor...I stay...I have finished battles with 3 mana! LOL...it really doesn't hurt any to die in game. Still, in helping lower level wizards and playing my own lower level wizards...it is harmful to the spirit of fair-play and fun.

What am I saying? We are working in Marleybone and this keeps happening! The two of us can handle any 2 goons...3 maybe...so someone runs in and now we have 4 and they flee. Gee...

Say anyone who flees with less than 10 mana (cause if you only have 10 you may be going out to take a tonic and come back).

Other suggestions?

Have you ever thought that maybe they need to get off the computer! This deeply offends me because I had to get off my computer and my friend deleted me when i told her I had to go. So you shouldn't be so harsh on people ya know?! :(

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
Bayleef1006 wrote:
Cynical wrote:

Very rude.

Other suggestions?

Have you ever thought that maybe they need to get off the computer! This deeply offends me because I had to get off my computer and my friend deleted me when i told her I had to go. So you shouldn't be so harsh on people ya know?! :(
I agrre the same thing happened to me. Please don't be so harsh.

Defender
May 29, 2009
That's a little different though. If you text "Sorry, I have to go. My cat just threw up". That's different than porting into a battle, drawing a larger mob, and fleeing without saying a word.

Bayleef1006 wrote:
Cynical wrote:

Very rude.

Other suggestions?

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
Bayleef1006 wrote:

If they need to get off the computer, then they should state so and they sure as heck shouldn't be running into battles for all of 20 seconds before fleeing. Most people are respectful and don't do stuff like that. But for those of us who have been the victim of battle crashers and rude teleporters, it is annoying and can ruin your gameplay. And the number of people who do this seems to be growing. Just the other day I read a post by someone who responded to a desperate call for help, only to find out there were 3 people at the battle who all fled when he arrived, hoping they could watch his character die. They told him so after the fought 4 mob and won, "You were suppose to die."

And if your friend deleted you for such a simple thing than the only conclusion I can reach is either #1 they really weren't much of a friend and you are probably better off without them or #2 you are leaving some information out and did something that your "friend" felt was not worth having your on their list (after all, have you actually asked them if that was the reason for being removed?)

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
PeteWhite wrote:
Bayleef1006 wrote:

If they need to get off the computer, then they should state so and they sure as heck shouldn't be running into battles for all of 20 seconds before fleeing. Most people are respectful and don't do stuff like that. But for those of us who have been the victim of battle crashers and rude teleporters, it is annoying and can ruin your gameplay. And the number of people who do this seems to be growing. Just the other day I read a post by someone who responded to a desperate call for help, only to find out there were 3 people at the battle who all fled when he arrived, hoping they could watch his character die. They told him so after the fought 4 mob and won, "You were suppose to die."

And if your friend deleted you for such a simple thing than the only conclusion I can reach is either #1 they really weren't much of a friend and you are probably better off without them or #2 you are leaving some information out and did something that your "friend" felt was not worth having your on their list (after all, have you actually asked them if that was the reason for being removed?)

or maybe you thought they were kidding when they said "if you flee your off, if you port in without asking or telling that will also get you removed" those are MY rules, new friends are warned of those rules and either you live by my rule or I'm sorry I can't keep myself alive if you can't stay in the fight. I have had 5 health left after a battle someone did that exact thing to me. They were removed seconds after they fled. It's not fair to those who do stay to the end to be grouped as not nice folks. Had one today that got in the fight with me to just stand there and not throw the first spell, those I want to throttle for that, it's not funny and it's a form of cheating. They get the credit for the kill even if they didn't do anything but take up time and space.

Defender
Dec 14, 2008
well I think it should go like this....
you can report them and they get banned.... but in your chat box it says in system chat..... eg.the wizard who fled was named bob...
Bob has Fled... you can click on it and REPORT HIM! thats just how I WISH IT WOULD BE!

Delver
May 29, 2009
Those are good criteria Gswift7. I also have a few of my own as well.

1. Do not just walk up to me while I am looking at my spell book and invite me to be your friend or join your group. I'm sorry but I know nothing about you.

2. If you are on my friends list don't try to take advantage of me. I have quests that I am doing and battles that I am fighting. Do not TELL me to "port to you now" cause you need help. Ask for it and at least let me know what you are doing and if you are in battle so I can prepare myself first.

3. I do not join in other peoples battles intentionally and I do apologize when it happens. I may get dragged into them but I stay to finish and I help the others by shielding them, giving them and their minions blades and/or shields or healing (I am a magus sorceror/theurgist). The least you can do is say thanks.

4. If I see a battle going on I will stand on the sideline and ask that person if they want any help before I jump in. I know what it feels like to be delivering the final blow and another player will bring their monster with them.

5. When you are in battle with other people don't be screaming "I GOT THE BOSS" unless it is ok with the others as well. If all I drew were 4+ pip cards and I have the pips because I have been shielding, and using my zero attacks then I will use it on the boss and not waste it on the lower health of a minion. If it is not specifically stated because after all we have the same goal of beating the enemies.

6. When I am in battle I make it a point to say which enemy I am going for i.e. the dagger or the ruby, that way I can set him up with my traps and hexes. Don't undermine that by attacking him and wasting my shields.

7. Always pay attention to what the people around you are doing. That is why we have our names and positions along with our spell on the bottom of the screen. I know their is opportunity for fizzles but to see three people attacking one monster with 3+ spells when there is another that could be defeated is ridiculous. That other monster could have been gone and that would be less damage to the team because now there are still two monsters instead of just one.

8. Don't make friends with me just to trade Treasure Cards. I don't use them in battle but I'm not going to give them away for nothing either. There have been times that someone who is not on my friends list helped me out with a boss or quest and I would give them cards for a reward.

and lastly is my biggie:
9.DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH ME TO GET MY PERSONAL INFORMATION. I WILL NOT BUY YOU CROWNS NOR WILL I GET YOU A MEMBERSHIP.

Now I have a question: How come on my friends list is there a paper drawing of some of them? You can't view their character stats or go to their location? Is this because they are not a subscriber? are under 13 years old? don't have chat? I have no idea but it bugs me so I end up deleting them.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
I have been the victim of this several times. But I know I'm going to make a lot of people mad. Never once have I died. It is just annoying. I usually ask why they fled if they have a good reason they stay on my list if they don't I delete them. Usually, I'll get a text message saying sorry I thought I was porting to someone else who asked for help and clicked on the wrong name. Since I know this could be possible I won't delete them.

Now as far as those that don't have open chat. I feel sorry for them this games' open chat is so restricted as is if you are a member you should have it. I am down to one person on my friends list that does not have open chat. For the simple reason that I can't tell them what to do and what not to do. Nothing like having someone port in and use my traps with a wand. Makes the fight last longer.

Back to the original porting in problem. If they make a habit of porting in then leaving or using your traps then leaving delete them. But try and be a little bit more understandable if you are good at your class you shouldn't have a problem if they port in then flee. If you do then odds are your deck wasn't set up properly to begin with. Sorry if that makes you mad but it's true.

Talon Deathweaver, Grandmaster Death Wizard

Survivor
May 24, 2009
Guys, you are ridiculous. If you don't want people to teleport, TURN OFF the teleport option. It is a game people. So what is a FRIEND teleports and attracts an extra monster! I mean it is not the end of the world. And the people who have these 'rules' about accepting people, pretty soon you wont have any friends at all. If you act tis way no one will like you and no one will help you when you truly need it! I understand it gets frustrating at times but if you are truly strong you can handle an extra monster ot two.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2008
That always happens to me to, I hate it. I say not only do they lose mana... but there health is dropped to 1. And they cant teleport to friends for 2 min. ?

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
I think the penalty for fleeing is a little bit to harsh. Sometimes when my friends and I are fighting a battle if i am defeated in battle our am out of mana i tell them first what i am going to do, flee, collect health/mana, and then teleport back to them and finish the battle. If there was a penalty for fleeing we wouldnt be able to continue doing this.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I usually play with a few friends who are familiar to me (at least on the game), so this isn't much of a problem for me, but I do find it annoying when some novice I randomly accepted the friend request from teleports to me and runs away. I don't die that often because of that, but when I finally beat the third guy or whatever, I am low on health and die in another battle before I can find a wisp. I think that the teleporting should be like friend requests, where it says, do you want insert name here to teleport to you? That would eliminate all the problems with rude people teleporting to you randomly. As for the people on the street who jump in unwanted... we are gonna have to deal with the rude ones. I, for one, ask if someone wants help, and if I enter a battle, I don't flee. I either help my friend win, or i die. I wouldn't want someone to run out on me, so I don't run out on others.

One last thing... if you are defeated and you flee, it shouldn't take away the rest of your mana. It might not already, but I'm just saying...

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I have had this happen to me on many occassions- in PvP even! I can think of two possible solutions, for PvE. First, there could be a prompt asking if you would allow another player to enter your battle, for people not already in your group. An alternative to this is that you can toggle "open" battles on or off. The second option is that we leave battles "open", but if the player flees, any mobs that they brought into the battle flee as well. Finally, as a rule, any new mobs brought to the fight should only target the new player. (It kinda works like this already, but not always.)

Some problems I see with option one are that it will limit getting quest mobs, and it will limit player interaction. In many locations only so many fights can take place, and there are only so many mobs. If it happens to be a busy day it may be difficult to get what you need. In my mind there aren't really any downs to option two, especially if you inact the "New mob rule", where new mobs to the fight only target the new player.