Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Paying for Dye, why?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I just need to ask, why? Why must we pay up to thousands of gold pieces, to die something as simple as SHOES? What does anyone gain by dying clothes, only their own look that they want, so in essence, we pay for our own creativity. Want to show your schools colors?, BAM, that seriously cuts into savings if your not in Balance. Want an all black, ninja look? BAM! Ten thousand gold, just for dying clothes. I simply think we shouldn't have to pay for dying clothes, the price in later worlds, just gets too high.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Delver
May 31, 2009
whether you are trying to hide your school, make your clothes match, or you like certain colors it cost. it is not like you are paying crowns to do this,you are simply changing things to how you want to look. if you buy clothing you change the color to buy it for less sometimes a lot less. And it is not that much unless you are a lower level that you will burn through so fast it is pointless. wait to change the colors until you are level 15 or higher
As for the pet you pay or have some wierd name on your pet, I like picking names for my pet.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
mpetersen68 wrote:
whether you are trying to hide your school, make your clothes match, or you like certain colors it cost. it is not like you are paying crowns to do this,you are simply changing things to how you want to look. if you buy clothing you change the color to buy it for less sometimes a lot less. And it is not that much unless you are a lower level that you will burn through so fast it is pointless. wait to change the colors until you are level 15 or higher
As for the pet you pay or have some wierd name on your pet, I like picking names for my pet.

But is it really fair that we have to pay coins to change our pet name from something horrid that was randomly picked by the game? Also, why must we pay to like our character's look and have our favorite color cost 10000 coins extra?

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Elessar wrote:
mpetersen68 wrote:

But is it really fair that we have to pay coins to change our pet name from something horrid that was randomly picked by the game? Also, why must we pay to like our character's look and have our favorite color cost 10000 coins extra?

Because changing the color or renaming a pet you recieved are luxuries, not necessities. 8)

Defender
May 24, 2009
I disagree with you guys! Why? Well you see if it was free to dye your clothing then everyone would have the same colors! Not really but KI wouldn't make any money for there hard working developers which try to make a living you know. :P And the reason for the high prices is because i believe its the popularity of the colors you chose or its just that they are not your school colors or something. But paying for dying gives your outfit a better price tag when you sell it :D ! Hope it helped :P

Delver
May 31, 2009
Elessar wrote:

everyone is different some leave things alone, like pet names. 500 goldis not that much at all. and the cost of changing colors on your clothing isnot that mush as you rise in levels.like i said earlier if you are level 15 or lower this is hardly worth doing as you will be changing garments often, but once above 15 you will most likely be buying your clothes to get the best bonuses possible. I have never found a combo that cost 10000 gold what color are you changing from and to? my stuff usaully tops out around 1100 each when i bother, i buy my stuff forthe most part and pick the cheapest combo of school colors.

In the end I don`t know why they charge you to dye stuff or pay to name your pet, maybe its to make you think about what you spend your money on or it could just be something "to" spend your gold on other than a house because lets face it there is not alot of things to spend your gold on besides equipment for you character. I have a level 35 character sitting on 60000+ gold and nothing to buy but another house.

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
Elessar wrote:
mpetersen68 wrote:

the worst part is that if you buy the outfit with the cheapest gold you can, then dye it, it cost the same as buying it by itself

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
Elessar wrote:
I just need to ask, why? Why must we pay up to thousands of gold pieces, to die something as simple as SHOES? What does anyone gain by dying clothes, only their own look that they want, so in essence, we pay for our own creativity. Want to show your schools colors?, BAM, that seriously cuts into savings if your not in Balance. Want an all black, ninja look? BAM! Ten thousand gold, just for dying clothes. I simply think we shouldn't have to pay for dying clothes, the price in later worlds, just gets too high.

well i spent a lot of time dying my cloths and some are crown items which cost me over 30000 counting what color i die it

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
diablo1008 wrote:
I disagree with you guys! Why? Well you see if it was free to dye your clothing then everyone would have the same colors! Not really but KI wouldn't make any money for there hard working developers which try to make a living you know. :P And the reason for the high prices is because i believe its the popularity of the colors you chose or its just that they are not your school colors or something. But paying for dying gives your outfit a better price tag when you sell it :D ! Hope it helped :P

Er... The developers don't earn anything from the in-game gold. And you still have to pay quite a bit for school colors if you're not balance.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
mpetersen68 wrote:
Elessar wrote:

everyone is different some leave things alone, like pet names. 500 goldis not that much at all. and the cost of changing colors on your clothing isnot that mush as you rise in levels.like i said earlier if you are level 15 or lower this is hardly worth doing as you will be changing garments often, but once above 15 you will most likely be buying your clothes to get the best bonuses possible. I have never found a combo that cost 10000 gold what color are you changing from and to? my stuff usaully tops out around 1100 each when i bother, i buy my stuff forthe most part and pick the cheapest combo of school colors.

In the end I don`t know why they charge you to dye stuff or pay to name your pet, maybe its to make you think about what you spend your money on or it could just be something "to" spend your gold on other than a house because lets face it there is not alot of things to spend your gold on besides equipment for you character. I have a level 35 character sitting on 60000+ gold and nothing to buy but another house.

Exacly, you pick the cheapest colors. Some of us want different colors, so we don't hate what our characters look like. Also, you're only level 35. In Dragonspyre, pretty much all clothing costs 10,000 if you're using the color black. Which nearly everone does.

Delver
May 31, 2009
Elessar wrote:
Exacly, you pick the cheapest colors. Some of us want different colors, so we don't hate what our characters look like. Also, you're only level 35. In Dragonspyre, pretty much all clothing costs 10,000 if you're using the color black. Which nearly everone does.

I was wrong I am sorry I took my top characters to the dye shop and even changing the shoes black cost 9000 gold. I still don`t understand your need to change colors, I understand girls want pink instead of red or orange. I understand guys like to wear black "period" or they don`t want yellow or light blue. But usally the only people who do run around in black are death, I still see more people in ds wearing school colors then not, I usally don`t see people hiding thier school colors until they step into the areana mostly storm and life. I am sorry your paying 35000+ to change your outfit black, but in the end thats your choice since only black will do for you and your characters.

There are 14 different colors to choose from and black is the most expensive, I did find it interesting that changing say my hat black cost over 11000 but if I just change the base or the trim its 4300. So do I do it one at a time and save 2000+? However if I do white its 2100+ for either the base or trim, but if I do both its 2700+, this is interesting math as I thought 1+1=2 but not in the dye shop it appears.

Agian I don`t know why they charge to dye our stuff other than the thought that its something to spend our gold on besides equipment and houses.

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
I completly agree with AlicornsPrayer. He makes a point. Like...

A deck is a neecesity for battles.

The color of your clothing in a battle is not a necessity.

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
FlipFredFredBurger wrote:

So you would enjoy having your character running around in a color clashing combo(Awesome alliteration) of say, Orange and Neon Pink?

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
If they make dyeing cheaper then I won't be able to buy equipment at a discount by picking my school colors. I am relatively certain that cheep dyeing would equal no discount for picking school colors. Picking school colors has often allowed me to buy equipment for a fraction of the regular cost.

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
diablo1008 wrote:

Just wanted to point out that dyeing and renaming your pet doesn't cost real life money...It costs in-game gold you earn battling creatures and finishing quests...

KI isn't 'making any money' off of dyeing or pet naming. 8)

Delver
Jul 30, 2009
Elessar wrote:

So you would enjoy having your character running around in a color clashing combo(Awesome alliteration) of say, Orange and Neon Pink?

Fred? I'm a 'she', not a 'he'.

And Elessar...I'm sorry, but I'm not 'vain' in regards to what my character is wearing. So if the outfits are 'clashing', from mixing and matching gear as I earn it for lower level characters? I'm not going to stress out over it...

Cause my goal isn't to make my characters 'look good' in their clothes, when they are busy leveling up in the first place, and their outfits aren't sticking around once they get their top gear...

They're working towards their 50th level gear...Which incidentally, the top gear for all the wizards 'match up' color-wise in the first place. And until you have all your gear at a particular level, it's pretty useless to go match up the colors of lower level gear, when you're not going to keep them in the first place...

My characters running around are more interested in beating up the next boss...Not fretting over whether their clothes are this/that color. As long as it has the desired effect in giving them extra pips, health, mana, and strength/defense boost? They could be polka-dotted with pinstripes, for all I care. 8)

Delver
May 31, 2009
Elessar wrote:

I have a balance charater that wears oranage and I use this character with my girlfriend who wears pink does that count? Color clashing at lower levels is to be expected since your character levels up quickly and changes clothes often. Most people keep their school colors in one form or another for example fire girls might choose pink instead of red or oranage, life players who don`t care for green often choose other combos, and yellow and orange or seldom the colors of choice for higher level characters.

You want nothing but black then wear black, by now everyone who isn`t a noob knows that brown is cheapest for men and gold cheapest for girls. Most ice players wear white and myth wear more yellow than blue, changing your colors is a personal thing and if you want to take the fun out of the game by crying over this issue you have only yourself to blame, sorry.

You will also notice, if you buy crown items, the price does not go up if you change the colors. I hope those who read this check out my ealrier post about the dye shop and its funny math it could save you alot of gold. Anyway this has been a great subject, lots of back and forth, and I hope KI steps up and explains the outrageous pricing in the dye shop. Or for that matter why they have this feature messing with the price of clothes at all!!