Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No option for Open Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
Hey, I've been playing this game off and on for a very long time. I'm well over the age of 13 but don't have an option to enable or disable Open Chat. It's kind of frustrating since majority of the people at my level have open chat and I have a really hard time communicating with them. I've done my research and I realize that if your account was made before open chat, then you don't get the option unless you make a new account. I've invested enough time and money into this one to where I REALLY don't want to do that. So if KI could fix this extremely awful issue, that'd be great.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2010
I have the exact same situation, I made my account when I was 10 and am 18 now but I just found out recently that they don't store your age if you made your account when you are under 13 so I am permanently ineligible for open chat forever, my account wasn't growing with me the entire time lol. Ahhh it sucks that your punished for putting your real age when you were younger.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Unfortunately KI have no control over it. The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1998 (COPPA) is a federal law that prevents companies from storing the personal information of children under the age of 13. 'Failure to comply with the requirements of COPPA' carries a penalty of $40,000 per violation so companies can't afford to even slightly bend the rules, much less make exceptions, otherwise they could end up with serious fines.

It's a controversial piece of legislation that has put companies with young users under extreme pressure. Many companies decided the costs of complying with it coupled with the risk of fines if they made a mistake to be so extreme they simply banned under 13's from using their site/services.

I could rant all day about the failures of this piece of legislation and the many ways it has backfired against the very people it aims to protect and reputable companies, but the simple response is that KI can not do anything about it and the result is some accounts will never be able to get open chat. It's rubbish, it's unfair but it's not KI's fault or choice.

Survivor
May 04, 2010
DoctorWizard on May 29, 2018 wrote:
Hey, I've been playing this game off and on for a very long time. I'm well over the age of 13 but don't have an option to enable or disable Open Chat. It's kind of frustrating since majority of the people at my level have open chat and I have a really hard time communicating with them. I've done my research and I realize that if your account was made before open chat, then you don't get the option unless you make a new account. I've invested enough time and money into this one to where I REALLY don't want to do that. So if KI could fix this extremely awful issue, that'd be great.
This should Definitely be fixed.