Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lying about age for open chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Are we supposed to report people who blatantly admit to not being 18, but lying about their age for the open chat feature?
I reported one person a week ago that said he had open chat & then admitted to being a kid.
Then last night, I was in PVP & someone mentioned they liked my Orthrus card & I said "Yeah, I love that card".
I then get a "WT? you have open chat!".. I then told him that yes, since I am an adult, I do have open chat.
He told me he was 14, so I reported him.
He turned around & reported me & informed that my report on him was false & that I would "lose my account" (I laughed to myself).
I told him that I hoped they would revoke his open chat & he said he didn't care & that he'd just change it back.. Told him he's just digging himself deeper as once a report is filed, they check chat logs.
He even said they wouldn't do anything to him because he was the "master" of his account.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
410
Honestly, I am an adult and a parent. I think you are doing too much and your reports, while technically true, are false reports.

You can only have open chat if the person who has the credit card chooses this option. This game requires one adult or paying customer, if the parent allows their kid to have it (while I dont think its a great idea) it is up to them. Who are you to report them?

Besides, niether of the kids you mentioned in this post did anything (according to you) that was offensive or worthy or being deemed as reportable.

You over-reacted. Open Chat isn't a license to be offensive, I beleive the same rules apply. So why go there unless they crossed a line? If anything you crossed the line and possibly cost an innocent kid to lose thier account because they had the ability you think only adults should have.

While I may agree with you that open chat isn't a good idea for all kids I don't agree with your methods. I believe if we should trust parents to KNOW their kids. If the kids cross the line then reporting them is fine but simply having open chat and them letting you know they were not 18 isn't bad behavior.

Speaking of bad behavior it would be nice if KI allowed us to write a few sentences to report people rather than the one liner we have to sum up the incidents in now. It may mean more reading on their part but would in the end mean we are able to safely get our point across and less investigation on KI's part. Assuming that any investigation is done.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
319
don't you just hate kids lieing about there age so they would get adult features? i say good job, and keep on reporting those liars.

don't worry about him reporting you, its a false report and kings isle deosn't tollerate them.

Explorer
Apr 02, 2009
52
They shouldn't lie. But you are not their mother or father and have no right to say if they should or shouldnt have open chat. You where wrong in reporting them. More than likely you will get in trouble for making a false report. If their parents want them to have open chat than that is THEIR decision not YOURS.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Sojourna wrote:
Honestly, I am an adult and a parent. I think you are doing too much and your reports, while technically true, are false reports.

You can only have open chat if the person who has the credit card chooses this option. This game requires one adult or paying customer, if the parent allows their kid to have it (while I dont think its a great idea) it is up to them. Who are you to report them?

Besides, niether of the kids you mentioned in this post did anything (according to you) that was offensive or worthy or being deemed as reportable.

You over-reacted. Open Chat isn't a license to be offensive, I beleive the same rules apply. So why go there unless they crossed a line? If anything you crossed the line and possibly cost an innocent kid to lose thier account because they had the ability you think only adults should have.

While I may agree with you that open chat isn't a good idea for all kids I don't agree with your methods. I believe if we should trust parents to KNOW their kids. If the kids cross the line then reporting them is fine but simply having open chat and them letting you know they were not 18 isn't bad behavior.

Speaking of bad behavior it would be nice if KI allowed us to write a few sentences to report people rather than the one liner we have to sum up the incidents in now. It may mean more reading on their part but would in the end mean we are able to safely get our point across and less investigation on KI's part. Assuming that any investigation is done.


It is set for 18+ for a reason.
If KI wanted the under 18s to have open chat, they wouldn't have made age specific chats, so all in all, it's considered "cheating" in my book.
And, as I did say, the kid DID do something wrong.
He worked around the filters in order to try & curse.
He said "WT?", which the majority of people that use the internet, KNOW what that "?" stands for.
Also, you can't deem my report as a "false report" because no one from KI has stated anything of the sort.. I asked my question in hopes that KI could inform us on what to do.
I'm an adult.. Last thing I need is to see a bunch of kids lying for the open chat feature just to cause trouble.

Also, you do NOT need an adult/parent to pay for a subscription or anything.
If a kid gets an allowance, he/she can easily go to WalMart & get a prepaid credit card.. Or go to 7-11/CVS & get one of the Gift Cards.

But, if the kids are going to continue lying about their age & blatantly admitting to it, then what's the point in having an 18+ chat?

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
104
I must agree with you Sojourna, in this case you over reacted MissNat. As KI stated in the email that I posted, lying and bad manners is not a reportable offense. The "WT?" may have been but that is even questionable now.

Because false reporting can be
construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to
take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the
category of a reportable offense:



“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2
wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of
the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the
ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to
choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving
team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange
for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own
risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related
to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound
statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

Again, we do appreciate you wanting to make Wizard City the best it
can be, however, we need the reporting feature to function as a
mechanism to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative
profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of
usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such
actions as outlined in the Terms of Use.


I am still waiting for someone at KI to respond to our posts as well Sojourna, as it stands now however, I seriously doubt if they ever will do so. Seems its a case of, leave it alone and it will go away. Not this time KI. Too many have voiced concerns and someone needs to be responsible at KI for "dropping the ball" on this one. Question is, who at KI is willing to take responsibility for their actions?

James DreamRider
lvl 45 Master
Balance School
No Retreat, No Surrender and
No One gets left Behind
USArmy Retired

Survivor
May 24, 2009
20
Defender
Mar 09, 2009
148
If he was 14 that's okay. You have to be at least 13 for open chat.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
35
I agree w/you Sojourna.

What give you the right to report some one just because that person has open chat??? :x
You need to be trained in reporting ( i'm sure that you did get trained, being that you just reported someone just for lieing about their age) and if you did NOT then that means KI is not doing their job of investigating false reports because what you did is a FALSE report. :x
If, i for one, find out that my child got banned from the game because of someone like you, reported her just for having open chat, KI will get to know me personally I pay for our accounts and it's my CHOICE for my child to have open chat and true friend, so that we can communicate better (my two younger boys have safe chat) You need to report someone for bad behavior and that is ALL not because they have open chat :x Right now you seem to be acting childish. :-(
So unless that kid is being disrespectful you have NO right to report them.

be safe; and enjoy the game :-)

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
If you're allowing your kids to lie, then you seriously need your parenting skills checked.

There is MENU chat for those UNDER 13.
There is TEXT chat for those 13-18.
There is OPEN chat for those OVER 18.

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/7790.ftl

As stated by Professor Greyrose, accounts MUST BE 18+ AND be an active subscriber for the OPEN CHAT OVER 18.

Would you allow your child to lie about their age to join an adult site?
The open chat is for adults to be able to chat more freely.
How would you feel if your little 14 year old was conversing with someone in their 40s & gave them their phone number or something?
Since you can now type numbers in open chat, it would be possible.. Also, as far as that person in their 40s knows, that person would be an adult.
Parents cannot watch a childs every move online and must not condone them lying about their age, especially online!
Telling your child they can lie to play a game, you're telling them they can lie to do other things.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
410
MissNat wrote:
It is set for 18+ for a reason.
If KI wanted the under 18s to have open chat, they wouldn't have made age specific chats, so all in all, it's considered "cheating" in my book.
And, as I did say, the kid DID do something wrong.
He worked around the filters in order to try & curse.
He said "WT?", which the majority of people that use the internet, KNOW what that "?" stands for.
Also, you can't deem my report as a "false report" because no one from KI has stated anything of the sort.. I asked my question in hopes that KI could inform us on what to do.
I'm an adult.. Last thing I need is to see a bunch of kids lying for the open chat feature just to cause trouble.

Also, you do NOT need an adult/parent to pay for a subscription or anything.
If a kid gets an allowance, he/she can easily go to WalMart & get a prepaid credit card.. Or go to 7-11/CVS & get one of the Gift Cards.

But, if the kids are going to continue lying about their age & blatantly admitting to it, then what's the point in having an 18+ chat?


My point is you are taking this personally. You seem to be making the point that this feature is for adults only and you are willing to have someone lose there account just to prove it.

All I am saying, and I say this both as an adult and parent, is that many of the kids who have accounts share ONE with their parents. I share one with my oldest and my youngest has his own because it is no chat. My youngest gets the benefits of open chat because I do. That is mostly in part to the fact that he is too big to have chat taken from him like my baby and I trust his judgement. It is my decision as a paying customer and I accept responsibilty. Quite frankly I don't think he is being exposed to any more than before the chat was changed.

Now as far as the WT? comment, didn't you say you were in pvp? In that case the audience was basically you and him and he was not "exposing" anyone else to the letter but you. You have every right to be offended and could have told him as much instead of trying to get him banned. Not to mention in your earlier post you seemed almost HAPPY to report him. You stated you giggled or something like that and you were more than happy with it because "he lied." Yet you have no proof he lied. He could very well be same stituation as my son. But even if this is an unacceptable situation in you mind you could have done a number of things to distance yourself.

Instead you chose to endanger his account to teach him a lesson. If this was his allowance and he saved up to buy a card and subscribe you were making sure that this lesson was a costly one.

I agree with the poster who said that your behavior is childish and I will add unfair. If someone ANYONE misuses the open chat feature you are well in your rights to report them, and I support you. However, the chat 18+ (which should be limited to credit card accounts) is not your personal excuse to go after kids and this seems to be the main point of all your earlier posts.

If you want a game that is adult only than this one isn't it. And while the open chat feature is an adult priviledge it is NOT your mission to "clean the system" and enforce this.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
35
MissNat wrote:
If you're allowing your kids to lie, then you seriously need your parenting skills checked.

There is MENU chat for those UNDER 13.
There is TEXT chat for those 13-18.
There is OPEN chat for those OVER 18.

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/7790.ftl

As stated by Professor Greyrose, accounts MUST BE 18+ AND be an active subscriber for the OPEN CHAT OVER 18.

Would you allow your child to lie about their age to join an adult site?
The open chat is for adults to be able to chat more freely.
How would you feel if your little 14 year old was conversing with someone in their 40s & gave them their phone number or something?
Since you can now type numbers in open chat, it would be possible.. Also, as far as that person in their 40s knows, that person would be an adult.
Parents cannot watch a childs every move online and must not condone them lying about their age, especially online!
Telling your child they can lie to play a game, you're telling them they can lie to do other things.


Are you the parent of the decade????? award winning?? Expert?? your child came into this world with a hand book???

NO right??

In my case, my parent skill are very well in ckeck. YOU nor anyone has the right to judge any parent on their parenting skills.

1st: My child does not lie about her age. I have control of all her accounts (in this game and any other)and I decide what is acceptable or not. So, i ALLOWE her to have open chat, my choice, NOT hers.
2nd: I do not worry about my child talking to a 40 yr old person(like you say)that i do not know, the reason for that is because she and her little brothers are NOT allowed to play with out me or her aunts (that are adults). She is very well instructed on what to do or not to do in the game.
3rd: I trust the way i raise MY chilldren, there are many things i do not condole and they are very well aware of it.
4th: this world is not perfect, so as a parent you have to make the best of it for you children. There are dangers in the game and out. so, if you have full trust and faith that you are raising your child to be great then, you have nothing to worry about.

So, plz, mind YOUR own bussiness and stop telling parents on how to raise their children. Go ahead and report away children that are misbehaving in the game
and stop crying like someone took away your toy. Not even MY children act this way.
What you did was a "false report" and if KI has not warn you about it, then it's VERY DISAPPOINTING to know they are not doing their job on investigating. :(

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Sojourna wrote:
MissNat wrote:
It is set for 18+ for a reason.
If KI wanted the under 18s to have open chat, they wouldn't have made age specific chats, so all in all, it's considered "cheating" in my book.
And, as I did say, the kid DID do something wrong.
He worked around the filters in order to try & curse.
He said "WT?", which the majority of people that use the internet, KNOW what that "?" stands for.
Also, you can't deem my report as a "false report" because no one from KI has stated anything of the sort.. I asked my question in hopes that KI could inform us on what to do.
I'm an adult.. Last thing I need is to see a bunch of kids lying for the open chat feature just to cause trouble.

Also, you do NOT need an adult/parent to pay for a subscription or anything.
If a kid gets an allowance, he/she can easily go to WalMart & get a prepaid credit card.. Or go to 7-11/CVS & get one of the Gift Cards.

But, if the kids are going to continue lying about their age & blatantly admitting to it, then what's the point in having an 18+ chat?


My point is you are taking this personally. You seem to be making the point that this feature is for adults only and you are willing to have someone lose there account just to prove it.

All I am saying, and I say this both as an adult and parent, is that many of the kids who have accounts share ONE with their parents. I share one with my oldest and my youngest has his own because it is no chat. My youngest gets the benefits of open chat because I do. That is mostly in part to the fact that he is too big to have chat taken from him like my baby and I trust his judgement. It is my decision as a paying customer and I accept responsibilty. Quite frankly I don't think he is being exposed to any more than before the chat was changed.

Now as far as the WT? comment, didn't you say you were in pvp? In that case the audience was basically you and him and he was not "exposing" anyone else to the letter but you. You have every right to be offended and could have told him as much instead of trying to get him banned. Not to mention in your earlier post you seemed almost HAPPY to report him. You stated you giggled or something like that and you were more than happy with it because "he lied." Yet you have no proof he lied. He could very well be same stituation as my son. But even if this is an unacceptable situation in you mind you could have done a number of things to distance yourself.

Instead you chose to endanger his account to teach him a lesson. If this was his allowance and he saved up to buy a card and subscribe you were making sure that this lesson was a costly one.

I agree with the poster who said that your behavior is childish and I will add unfair. If someone ANYONE misuses the open chat feature you are well in your rights to report them, and I support you. However, the chat 18+ (which should be limited to credit card accounts) is not your personal excuse to go after kids and this seems to be the main point of all your earlier posts.

If you want a game that is adult only than this one isn't it. And while the open chat feature is an adult priviledge it is NOT your mission to "clean the system" and enforce this.


Concerning my "giggling", it was over him telling me that *I* would lose my account.
Also, it was 2v2 PVP, so there were 2 other people in there.
As I told him, they would more an likely just revoke his chat feature & just put him back as text chat instead.
Also, if your kids are playing, shouldn't they also have accounts?
You as the Master account owner would be able to make his chat Text chat rather than Open chat.
But again, as I said, he said he was the "Master" of his account, so nothing would be done to him.
Children are naive and vulnerable.
They can be easily taken advantage of, especially without the filters that Text chat has.
As I said, a child is now able to easily hand out a phone number or something else of that sort.
I can guarantee this site would be great for certain types of adults that like to take advantage of kids.
A 40yr old could see this site advertised, come here & realize that kids play.. Now that there's Open chat, they could be hoping and waiting that a child has lied about their age, then take things from there.

I'm not taking this "personally" or "going after him".
Lying about your age to make yourself SEEM like an adult is basically a security issue & I bet this site complies with COPPA.
If I was one of the owners of this site, I would take lying about ones age a big problem.

I never lied about my age to access anything, ever.. I was TAUGHT better than that.

Defender
May 28, 2009
176
I agree with Sojourna on this topic as well. I have a 12 year old son who I have allowed to have filtered chat. He is very responsible and we went over the rules very thoroughly before I allowed it. KI made a good choice by giving parents the ability to setup accounts how we choose. If a child is trustworthy then giving them a higher level chat can serve as a reward.
MissNat wrote:

How would you feel if your little 14 year old was conversing with someone in their 40s & gave them their phone number or something?

This would be catastrophically bad wouldn't it be? But it is also an extreme example. In most cases parents are not going to allow their children to have higher level chat unless they feel that the child in question is responsible enough not to do something like that. I would also say that most cases of children having higher level chat than they would normally be allowed are for children who are close to "Age Appropriate" anyway. I don't believe there are many (caring, involved, and W101 player) parents out there that would allow their 14 year old to have Open Chat.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
410
Let me be clear. I understand what you are saying. I even understand the actions you took and now that you posted it I took the time to read COPPA.

However that said and even after reading the site on COPPA. I think you still over-reacted. We are not talking about kids talking to 40 year olds nor being offensive. That is not the conversation here, you may want to introduce that to blur the issue but its not the topice.

Before open chat there were adults online here there a great number of us on this game, and not all of the adults here are good people like you are I. Oh and I do think you are a good person with great intentions. However, those people the adults you worry about are the ones who teach kids how to get around the filters. So I will say to you as I have said in other post the responsibilty of your children are all YOURS. You need to watch them, that is a fact.

However, what you did even it was out of concern went beyond what was necessary. You simply laughed at his response that you filed a false report (and that is what I meant about "giggling") and I think he was right.

You reported him for not being old enough and you had no idea how or why he had open chat. And you STILL DON'T you didnt even bother to ask.

While the "WT?" may have been a bit much, in truth he didn't actually cuss - even if that what it meant. My mother didn't allow us to say heck when i was young yet they said it on tv all the time. I asked why she said it was too much like bell with an H. I respected that because she was my mother. But in truth out of ear shot my i said it all the time and no one thought twice about it. Why? Because it wasn't a cuss word no matter what it eluded to it was still not a cuss.

This is similar to your experience except you were NOT this child's mother therefore your standards of how he should behave is not really important. What is important is that HE did NOT break any rules written or implied by KI. Sorry that you feel he has no business using the open chat but that is YOUR oppinion and i would be extremely dissappointed with KI if they found the report in your favor.

Its people like you that make it hard to have a happy medium because you want the internet to watch and babysit the world to suit your sensibilities. KI does a great job of this in my oppinion but to push this to the extreme is a mistake. This is one of the reason why I disagreed with a post awhile ago where the members offered to be monitors. Because there will always be someone like you who feels dispite this being a paid service no one should do more than you allow them to or think they should.

Its a hall monitor way of thinking, and if I am not mistaken, while the kid you are talking about isn't out of school you ARE and should be well beyond this narrow minded way of thinking by now.

I am hope I am not being too offensive, I am not really trying to call you a bad person. I am simply pointing out that your behavior was too over the top and the fact that you posted it as if waiting for a high five means you aren't aware of how much you over reacted to this.

This about it. That said I think I am done with this topic.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
148
MissNat wrote:
If you're allowing your kids to lie, then you seriously need your parenting skills checked.

There is MENU chat for those UNDER 13.
There is TEXT chat for those 13-18.
There is OPEN chat for those OVER 18.

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/7790.ftl

As stated by Professor Greyrose, accounts MUST BE 18+ AND be an active subscriber for the OPEN CHAT OVER 18.

Would you allow your child to lie about their age to join an adult site?
The open chat is for adults to be able to chat more freely.
How would you feel if your little 14 year old was conversing with someone in their 40s & gave them their phone number or something?
Since you can now type numbers in open chat, it would be possible.. Also, as far as that person in their 40s knows, that person would be an adult.
Parents cannot watch a childs every move online and must not condone them lying about their age, especially online!
Telling your child they can lie to play a game, you're telling them they can lie to do other things.


I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Kids have friends.
Whose to say they don't just jump on their friends computer?

As for everyone ASSUMING (you know what they say about those that ASSUME) that it was a "false report", KI has not mailed me nor have they clarified this.

As I already said, Professor Greyrose said that 18+ chat is for just that, 18+.
Why do you feel the need for your CHILD to have OPEN chat?
Text chat is just fine for them to manage around the game.. Why should they have the ability to type out numbers? Or say certain words?

None of you are explaining WHY your CHILD *must* have an open chat with other ADULTS.
People would throw a fit if a 14 year old was talking to several adults if it were anywhere else, so why is here any different?
If my 14 year old was lying about their age just so they can chat with adults or whatever their reason may be, I'd be taking my kids internet privileges away.

Until KI confirms that this is allowed or not, there's no need for you to say I'm supposedly "wrong" for doing what I did.
You're not one of the owners, mods, staff, whatever on here.. So, you don't know the true answer.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
36
Otys wrote:
don't you just hate kids lieing about there age so they would get adult features? i say good job, and keep on reporting those liars.

don't worry about him reporting you, its a false report and kings isle deosn't tollerate them.
so king isle actually investigates false reports? or do you need a special something. cause i was reported for foul language, which was untrue, while trying to stop the treasure card for code business and got my account muted and a warning saying something about anymore reports and my account goes bye bye. what is the problem here? oh, and i am 18 years exact and the open chat thing hasnt shown up in my account management. some one lend assistance please

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
36
MissNat wrote:
If you're allowing your kids to lie, then you seriously need your parenting skills checked.

There is MENU chat for those UNDER 13.
There is TEXT chat for those 13-18.
There is OPEN chat for those OVER 18.

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/7790.ftl

As stated by Professor Greyrose, accounts MUST BE 18+ AND be an active subscriber for the OPEN CHAT OVER 18.

Would you allow your child to lie about their age to join an adult site?
The open chat is for adults to be able to chat more freely.
How would you feel if your little 14 year old was conversing with someone in their 40s & gave them their phone number or something?
Since you can now type numbers in open chat, it would be possible.. Also, as far as that person in their 40s knows, that person would be an adult.
Parents cannot watch a childs every move online and must not condone them lying about their age, especially online!
Telling your child they can lie to play a game, you're telling them they can lie to do other things.
i dont think there is a need for questioning ones parenting skills especially if you dont know the person. also, a parent's method is right to them( unless illegal) how ever wrong it may be to others. everyone has their methods. Since this was intended to be a children's game, we adults should try to accept the behaviour of CHILDREN and TEENAGERS since these are the main age groups in the game. open chat was introduced to give adults more freedom. I doubt kids asked for all these updates and improvements, so in a sense, we are 'intruders' of some sort. we cant go reporting kids for being obnoxious in a KIDS game. Had this been something like WOW where you can type anything (ANYTHING), there wouldnt be a problem, because it is accepted. If we adults had been happy with being restricted in a childrens game, as children should be with their language, this discussion would not have happened. We took a game for kids, asked for more mature features, and report kids for wanting the freedom that we asked for. The chat was fine the way it was, if we had problems with the chat, we shouldnt have asked for WOW type freedom in a game for the children. We ruined it for them.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
20
OH MY GOSH!!! Are you really going to over react about somthing like this!It's not "cheating" around the filters. It's the parent's chose to let ther kid's have open chat not your's!I am 18 but i have a sister that is only 10 and my parents alowe her to have open chat.So realy you are false reporting.i say that becase of three resons...

1: your not there parent.

2:the parents chose what ther kid's do.

3:If they have open chat and it's not your account dont bother with it!GESH!

So plz take this to considerashon MissNat,If its not your account dont worry about it.And one more thing gest becas there parents alowe theme to have it dosnt mean you have to agre with it.




Amanda OwlRider Level32 Life/Balance Wizard

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Well, you lying about your child's age so they can have open chat can get this site in trouble with COPPA.
One VP site I was on got shut down for awhile until they got into compliance with COPPA.
Kids were lying about their age & was getting trouble.. So, now if someone lies about their age, they lose chat privileges or their account all together.
It's not the matter of what *I* think is right you what *you* feel is right.. It's whether or not it's in compliance with COPPA.
Are you really fine with risking thing site getting into legal problems just because YOU thought your child "needed" open chat?
I know several parents that play on here and all of them have agreed that is it NOT necessary for their child to have open chat & they have all said they would contact COPPA if something isn't done.

What is the point in having an OPEN chat for those that are **OVER** 18, when people are still allowing kids to join in? Or the kids lying to join in?

No one on here has once stated WHY their child NEEDS "open" chat.
This site has had menu & text chat for quite some time.
I'm an adult & I did perfectly fine with the text chat, why can't your child?
Why does your child NEED to be able to type random number, or say certain words?
If your child is just there to play, then text chat is just fine for them.

Also, once again.. NO ONE knows whether what I did was considered a "false report" or not & I've never gotten a mail saying it was, despite my first report was sent now almost 2wks ago.

I have also mailed KI about all this, and have even mentioned COPPA.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
35
KI, we are all waiting for your responce.

Right now it seems that you are not doing your job on investigating "reports". So, when a wizard is reported for NO reason this means that that wizard will be sanctioned???

If this is the case..then we are ALL at risk of being dismissed from the game NO matter what. I have reported kids for bad behavior only(bad language) in turn they went a reported me too. If KI is NOT investigating does this mean that my account is in the hands of other wizards??
Just beacuse they feel to report anyone they feel like it.

I know the rules for reporting someone.
*misconduct
*foul language
*giving out personal information
*harrasing

Plz, let me and everyone else know, if LYING about your age for open chat privilages is a reson to report a young wizard??

Thank you.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
45
Have gotten a mail from KI.
Here is my MY message to them:

"I think this would fall under "not following rules".
I have come across 2 kids the past week that have blatantly admitted to lying about their age for the "open" chat feature which I've reported.
The 2nd kid said he'd just change his age back if you guys put him back to menu chat & he said you wouldn't do anything because he was the "master" of his account.
I know the one forum post from Professor Greyrose stated that the 18+ chat is for those that ARE 18+ AND have a valid subscription.. So wouldn't that technically be not following rules?
I bet you guys also follow COPPA, so a child lying about their age, or parent lying about their age would be a security issue and would be against COPPA.
I posted a board in Halston's Laboratory & have had a couple parents admit to giving their child the "open" chat feature.
Here's my forum:
https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/9502.ftl

I don't think anyone under 18 needs this feature, especially considering the fact we are now able to type out numbers."


And here is their reply back:

"Hello,

Thank you for making us aware of this situation. We will begin investigation immediately and take action as appropriate. If you have further troubles like this, please let us know right away!

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts"


So, I was in full rights of reporting those kids and I suggest you remove your child's open chat.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
9
18?At the end of the tutorial,Merle Ambrose said you have to be 13 or older to have open chat.Or ask your parent's permission.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2009
3
MissNat wrote:
Are we supposed to report people who blatantly admit to not being 18, but lying about their age for the open chat feature?
I reported one person a week ago that said he had open chat & then admitted to being a kid.
Then last night, I was in PVP & someone mentioned they liked my Orthrus card & I said "Yeah, I love that card".
I then get a "WT? you have open chat!".. I then told him that yes, since I am an adult, I do have open chat.
He told me he was 14, so I reported him.
He turned around & reported me & informed that my report on him was false & that I would "lose my account" (I laughed to myself).
I told him that I hoped they would revoke his open chat & he said he didn't care & that he'd just change it back.. Told him he's just digging himself deeper as once a report is filed, they check chat logs.
He even said they wouldn't do anything to him because he was the "master" of his account.
I think you're over reacting. Let the kid chat. Besides this is a kid friendly game! If they want to get in trouble they can.
You have to let your kids choose the path they want to take. bad, or good. Even if the aren't your kid let them go. Is being 14 a crime? Last time I checked it wasn't. Besides, on this you don't have to be 18 to free chat. you have to be 13. And even so you could be 10 years old and be really mature!
I rest my case. Let the children have freedom.