Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jacques is being selfish

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
Today, I completed the Ironworks and got sent to defeat Jacques the scratcher. Upon completing this quest, I decided I would start farming him for a Grumpy snowman pet. But everytime I enter his tower, all I see are two O'leary brutes. No matter how many times I defeat them, they just come back! Where on earth is Jacques the Scratcher and why can't I defeat him again?

Thanks!

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
(KingsIsle please please please review this and make sure what I am typing is correct.)

Short answer is you need to wait 30 minutes.

I believe, but I am not sure, if you are defeated in a dungeon, the dungeon resets. If you win a battle in a dungeon, you can leave and come back within 30 minutes. The thirty minutes aspect is in the message before you enter a dungeon. The part about if you are defeated is how I 'recall' how it works.

So check this out - if you win a battle in a dungeon (say Sunken City), you can place a mark, port to commons, grab health and mana, and port back in. If you are with a buddy, and you win the battle, you can take turns getting restocked. And the best place to get restocked for health is in Nightside on the way to Sunken City. If you are lacking mana, port to your room, run out, run around the outer walls of Ravenwood area, then port back in (or walk in thru Nightside but you have may run into more monsters).

I even go to Nightside when on other worlds to get health restocked quickly. Works great as long as you have a friend to port back to.

Again, as far as I recall, if you all are defeated, the dungeon resets. If one wizard/witch among a group is defeated, and the rest live, and you are friends, the defeated wizard can port back to their friend and keep on going. Not sure about the individual steps of the quest though, you might have to hit the ones the other steps other wiz/witches have completed.

You have the REVERSE problem, you are beating it. Either wait 30 minutes, or, maybe just go in and let him defeat you, then come back in. I would have to try that out to verify.

Survivor
Mar 10, 2010
Jcques escapes the first tower you fight him in BUT do all the main quests in knight's court and you get to fight him again in the big tower in the center of knight's court! But beware young wizard he is far more powerful than before! lol after you kill him there you can farm him over and over. I hope this helps.

Zachary Soulwraith lvl 50 necromancer

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
If I recall correctly, Ironworks is a dungeon.

When you enter a dungeon, you get your own instance of the event. So when you kill the bosses, they stay dead. Any chests or craft items will stay there unless you or someone in your group picks them up.

If you exit and enter again, you will find your boss there again. Sometimes you can go straight to the boss you want to farm.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
Had you initially fought him with friends that ported to you and then went back in solo?
More mobs are added after the initial fight if players port in to help you.

If you fight the added enemies, the instance resets properly. Otherwise you'll have to wait it out until it naturally resets.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
There is another helpful thread on this:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/9907.ftl#50008

Or if that doesn't work, search "Jacques Scratcher"

BTW, I don't think Jacques is in Ironworks, the quest comes up after completing Ironworks.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Jacques the Scratcher is not in the Ironworks, he is in Knights Court. Don't go to the dungeon next to Lindo Milltop to farm him, you need to go to Knights Tower. Since it is a dungeon, you can immediately go back in and fight him again and again, but you need to exit the Tower thru the door ... not by porting out ... otherwise you need to wait the 30 minutes for the dungeon to reset.