Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I download all the graphics?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
Hi All,

I am a new player. As I decide to "settle into" the game, I've begun the process of downloading and installing the game client on several systems. I've noticed that it's a bit of pain since you need to log into Wizards then play for some time to obtain all the graphics files. This can be problematic when you are using a cell pone or wifi connection that is wide enough to play the game but too narrow to rapidly download game data.

I found on my Win7 computer this location
C:\ProgramData\KingsIsle Entertainment\Wizard101\Data\GameData

Would copying that over to a new system get me a pre-seeded data and object cache? Are there registry location or other areas that contain data I should look too copying to new systems?

Ideally I would love an iso or large archive (7zip/ace/rar would be better then zip) I could download and copy and/or isntall and thus get all the game graphics in action.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
They download as you go through. Even when it looks like your done when you get to a new are it will have to download more.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Elseerradak wrote:
Hi All,

I am a new player. As I decide to "settle into" the game, I've begun the process of downloading and installing the game client on several systems. I've noticed that it's a bit of pain since you need to log into Wizards then play for some time to obtain all the graphics files. This can be problematic when you are using a cell pone or wifi connection that is wide enough to play the game but too narrow to rapidly download game data.

Would copying that over to a new system get me a pre-seeded data and object cache? Are there registry location or other areas that contain data I should look too copying to new systems?

Ideally I would love an iso or large archive (7zip/ace/rar would be better then zip) I could download and copy and/or isntall and thus get all the game graphics in action.

I've never had luck getting a response on this sort of thing. You could play around with it, but you may risk messing it up and having to start all over. When I put it on a new computer, I usually take my highest level character, go to the world gate, and try to go to each world. Let it download and go watch a movie. At least that way, you get a good baseline for it.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
This is a question that you need to send into Support.

My guess is that simply copying the directory from one computer to the next won't work, because it won't also copy whatever registry entries, if any, were made. However, this is something to ask Support, as they will know the answer.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Elseerradak wrote:
Hi All,

When I did a fresh install on my primary computer, I backed up certain files to save time in downloading and so that my wizards would have all of their items correctly displayed from the start – rather than the beginning clothes and boxes – and the NPCs would be correctly displayed. This also cuts down on lag in the game due to downloading.

Be careful if you do this – make sure that you put the items in the right folder.

I downloaded the game – basic material in the initial download. Then before I played the game, I copied from my backup files the .wad files from Data\GameData (folder) (more than 2GB) and the .xml files from Bin (folder). These files are the bulk of the downloading that takes place during the game. I left the rest of the files alone in the folders. I did not have any problems with the game.

If it does not work – the game is easy to fix – simply uninstall and start over.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
You do not have to install Wizard101 on your C: drive.

I installed it on a partition so that it is not part of the back up, my reasoning being, it scans itself for errors each time it loads anyways, and it is constantly being updated. Unlike many other programs, you can't "go back".

Adding a new partition to a Windows machine can be difficult. I use SystemRescueCD to do it, which is Linux based. Warning, its not for the faint of heart. Also have tried something like BartPE, but had more luck with SystemRescueCD, since I had some time with Unix machines.

You could also put in a second hard drive, but I think that's pretty hard for a laptop.

Wonder if you could install it on a USB key? Hey, that would be something, uh? Just move the key to where ever you wanted to play Wizard101. Wonder if it needs registry entries?