Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Global accuracy on Waterworks gear?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Hey there KI. It is me again. I'm curious why you made the decision to go with global accuracy on the waterworks gear instead of school specific. It doesn't seem right to me, and here's why...

Life, Balance, and Death don't get any accuracy boost so without compensating, they cast every spell at its native accuracy. On the other hand, inaccurate schools now cast every school spell with a significant boost. Storm, for instance, can only fizzle on fire and storm spells. This didn't used to be that big of a deal, but with the new school mastery amulets it seems a bit out of whack to me.

I'm not saying its broken, I'm just curious as to the reasoning...

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Hey there KI. It is me again. I'm curious why you made the decision to go with global accuracy on the waterworks gear instead of school specific. It doesn't seem right to me, and here's why...

Life, Balance, and Death don't get any accuracy boost so without compensating, they cast every spell at its native accuracy. On the other hand, inaccurate schools now cast every school spell with a significant boost. Storm, for instance, can only fizzle on fire and storm spells. This didn't used to be that big of a deal, but with the new school mastery amulets it seems a bit out of whack to me.

I'm not saying its broken, I'm just curious as to the reasoning...

Because it's gear for legendary people.

and legendary people should be something more than everyone else.

They are legends (living legends at that) after all.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
Because it's gear for legendary people.

and legendary people should be something more than everyone else.

They are legends (living legends at that) after all.

Ok. So, if that's the case then what about balance, life, death, and ice? Shouldn't life, for instance, be able to cast storm spells at 100% accuracy if storm can cast life spells at 112% accuracy? Why should only storm, fire, and myth be able to cast any life, balance, or death spell at more than 100% accuracy? Does the power pip boost that life, death, and balance get somehow justify that? At the very least, shouldn't life be able to cast life spells at 100% accuracy if three other schools can?

I'm down with giving accuracy boosts, I just don't understand the decision to make it global instead of school specific.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:

Ok. So, if that's the case then what about balance, life, death, and ice? Shouldn't life, for instance, be able to cast storm spells at 100% accuracy if storm can cast life spells at 112% accuracy?

Life can cast precision and use the star spell accuracy boost and get more than 100% if they want to, to any spell they care to cast - life spell or not

gtarhannon wrote:
Why should only storm, fire, and myth be able to cast any life, balance, or death spell at more than 100% accuracy?

is there a reason to think the game sees anything over 100% as more than 100%?

Also, is there any reason why legendary mages of any school SHOULDN'T be able to cast other school spells with high accuracy? The enemies certainly seem to do so. Storm enemies casting life and death spells, death enimies casting kraken - none of them fizzling very often if at all. If they can have that kind of ability why can't legendary player mages regardless of which school is their primary?

gtarhannon wrote:
I'm down with giving accuracy boosts, I just don't understand the decision to make it global instead of school specific.

You want the technical reason? Because there's really only one hat, robe, pair of boots. And when you get one of them, the game loads the few modifiers to customize it for your primary school. That way, every school has the same basic set of clothes and everyone gets stuff for their primary school.

But I'm also pretty sure that anything over 100% is treated as 100% regardless.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, I am sure you have noticed, that Life, Balance, and Death get pretty much 100% power pips, with already descent accuracy! Their lowest accuracy is 85% compared to all the other schools. Get a pet with accuracy boost and they are easily at 91%.

Now, if you ask me, I personally think that this is going to move us right along to the next set of gear.

Global resistance to all, critical points to all, accuracy to all, 100% power pip chance to all schools. Yes, We are moving to the power stage of our wizards.

After all, some asked what school they think Ambrose is! All schools and he is a master at all of them!

That would be my guess!

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
It does seem a little out of wack because on my ice with water works gear has a higher percent rate of fizzling than a storm with water works gear, kind of weird. The thing i think was a little rash is the universal resistance its a great idea but they just did it way to fast before CL you know schools other than ice only had universal resistance if it was crowns one patch later storm supposedly the school with least defenses now has a standard of 26% universal resistance. And not only that the universal resistance of the waterworks robe for ice was actually worse than the trial of the spheres gear. Granted we now have more critical because it would seem you make sacrifices in one area to benefit another but, thats not the thing for other schools they just got the universal resistance, and universal accuracy, and now they have even more critical block and resistance so an ice with decent critical just isn't worth it anymore. This is what is rising so many tensions because I and a lot of my ice friends and even in the arena don't know how it happened. We dont have really decent spells that required nerfing us to that extent.. I'm very curious to why this happened

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Life can cast precision and use the star spell accuracy boost and get more than 100% if they want to, to any spell they care to cast - life spell or not

It seems to me that you are missing my point. Life can only get more than 100% on life spells... not storm spells. But lets put life aside for a minute since it was just an example. What about death or balance? More to the point, what about being storm justifies not being able to fizzle when casting a healing spell, or when using earthquake, or weakness, or anything else outside a storm or fire spell? I'm not trying to pick on storm. I think the precedent was set in Celestia for them to get high accuracy for storm spells, or even high accuracy for 2 schools using crafted gear... I just don't understand why the least accurate school (traditionally) is now able to cast the majority of spells in the game without chance of fizzle. Meanwhile, the supposedly most accurate school has to cast a spell just to make spells of their own class 100% accurate.

is there a reason to think the game sees anything over 100% as more than 100%?

Yes. Having more than 100% accuracy would go toward offsetting spells such as black mantle and smokescreen, which in my opinion makes it even more unfair... Let's say life wants to cast earthquake (no shock there)... with a black mantle on, it would cast it at 35%. Storm, on the other hand, would cast it at 57%. Ironically, storm and fire have better odds of cast earthquake than myth does.

Also, is there any reason why legendary mages of any school SHOULDN'T be able to cast other school spells with high accuracy?

In and of itself I don't have a problem with it. However, when a legendary storm can cast all my spells at much higher accuracy than my school's legendary can, I begin to take issue... particularly when the converse isn't true.

You want the technical reason? Because there's really only one hat, robe, pair of boots. And when you get one of them, the game loads the few modifiers to customize it for your primary school. That way, every school has the same basic set of clothes and everyone gets stuff for their primary school.

Then why doesn't everybody get both global accuracy and power pip chance in different portions? They all already get get global resist. Would you have a problem with the damage boost being global as well? LOL... that would be awesome, then storm could cast almost any spell without fizzle and with massive damage boost. No problem there right?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Well, I am sure you have noticed, that Life, Balance, and Death get pretty much 100% power pips, with already descent accuracy! Their lowest accuracy is 85% compared to all the other schools. Get a pet with accuracy boost and they are easily at 91%.

Now, if you ask me, I personally think that this is going to move us right along to the next set of gear.

Global resistance to all, critical points to all, accuracy to all, 100% power pip chance to all schools. Yes, We are moving to the power stage of our wizards.

After all, some asked what school they think Ambrose is! All schools and he is a master at all of them!

That would be my guess!

I understand that is how it has worked... And I thought it was fair... however, with the release of the mastery amulets, and even without, I don't see how it balances out for fire, for instance, to not be able to fizzle while healing and to also have a 99% chance of casting earthquake when myth is only at 97%. Its not like its dual discipline gear that has other drawbacks. They get all of the advantages they are used to, and new ones as well which end up being more helpful to certain classes than to others... I think the new "global" move is dangerous and here's why...

It isn't like there is 1 set of gear with specific global stats that anyone can obtain and use. This is school specific gear giving global stats and in amounts specific to the class its for. I don't like global resist, but I will concede that the need for it is at least debatable. However, global accuracy? With the school mastery amulets, this is a new and distinct advantage that hasn't previously existed without making sacrifices. I mean think about it... what's next, global damage?

As you and I both know, there is mathematics, and then there is tactical advantage. Right now, storm has a considerable tactical advantage over everyone else. With a myth mastery amulet, they can not fizzle (unless they have black mantle or the like on them, and even then... they have better odds than everyone else) when casting any life, ice, balance, death, or myth spell, and they are at 97% for any fire spell. I'm sorry, but I just don't see increased power pip chance as outbalancing this advantage, particularly when combine it with global resist and the reality that when power pip chance is above 70%, efficient pip management for utility spells such as elemental blade or feint still comes close to a guarantee that you can cast what you need when you need to cast it.

That is why I have started this thread. I'd like to know what KI was thinking, and more importantly if this is a dangerous trend toward something even more unhinged in the near future...

Armiger
May 10, 2010
That is exactly where I think the new trend is heading...

I believe that sooner or later, all schools will get Universal Damage, Universal Resistance, 100% power pip chance, etc...

I do think that Storm will have the lowest health, but most damage & accuracy boosts... Ice will have the Highest Heath, but least damage & accuracy boosts... Everyone else, will fall in between them...

I think that in the long run, they may even have a Grand Mastery Amulet that allows power pip usage on all school...

Now, this is just a hunch, but it is my opinion...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
That is exactly where I think the new trend is heading...

I believe that sooner or later, all schools will get Universal Damage, Universal Resistance, 100% power pip chance, etc...

I do think that Storm will have the lowest health, but most damage & accuracy boosts... Ice will have the Highest Heath, but least damage & accuracy boosts... Everyone else, will fall in between them...

I think that in the long run, they may even have a Grand Mastery Amulet that allows power pip usage on all school...

Now, this is just a hunch, but it is my opinion...

Wow... well, I can only speak for me... but if that is indeed the case, I'm out. I'm already agitated to know that storm, fire, and myth can all cast my spells with more accuracy than me (without so much as a pet), let alone everything merging into one big puddle where every school will be able to cast ice spells for more damage than an Ice wizard can. Not that they would, mind you... at that point, you'll only see storm spells flying around with the occasional second class utility spell. Well, you will anyway. If it hits that point I won't be around anymore.