Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Getting dragged into battle. ALOT!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 26, 2008
This happens way too much mostly in instanced areas. i will be really far away from and enemy or even on a sideway and i will get dragged really far into a battle. There is even a spot on the dark/storm street in WC that drags you through a building into a battle 2 blocks away. This gets REALLY annoying.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Certain mobs have a much greater than normal aggro radius to ensure that you can't sneak past them.

Battles can only take place in certain places, so if you happen to run into a mob rather far from such a place, it will take you to the nearest one.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Oh I know how you feel!

This happened to me a few weeks ago. It got so bad my wizard would get pulled back FIVE rooftops into battle. I knew I had really bad lag...and I was getting kicked off ALOT.

It was right after a major update so I just assumed it was KI.

Well....seems there was a problem with my internet. When things got so slow it took forever to just have a page come up we called the cable company. Seems there was a problem with the internet and after they fixed that...I am faster than ever. No more lag and no more being dragged into endless battles.

Worth looking into.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
Sometimes it can just be computer connections. It's happened to me plenty of times, and it's just the exact way my computer would have acted. Occasionally, when a computer is behind in time, it shows a screen that is outdated while it calculates and loads what is actually happening. When it loads that, you then see the outcomes of it. It can be a bit of a trouble when you're walking along someplace that seems perfectly safe but is not, but there's nothing much you can do about it except take a look at your computer.

On the other hand, there are places with monsters that have large detection radii, such as Sunken City. If you're in a place like that, just be a bit careful.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Ah, yeah, lag can do weird things.

Most games have your "real" location stored server-side, while the game displays a client-side approximation on your screen. Making the real data be what the server thinks it is is necessary in order to keep people from hacking the client and using it to create some really severe cheats. (e.g., warping to arbitrary points on the map, killing everything in one shot, magically getting whatever loot you want) With a good connection, there won't be much difference between the two locations, but if you're lagging, the client will show you moving, while the server says you're not. The server may then say a mob walks into you when it looks on the client like you're far away.