Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Friend requests while fishing.

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I'd like to suggest that KI add a function that would temporarily block any incoming friend requests while a wizard is engaged in fishing. I find it extremely annoying, not to mention potentially energy wasting to have a friend request pop up just as you're waiting for your lure to be dragged under. Perhaps a polite little message like: "Sorry, can't you see this wizard is busy trying to fish!?" I realize that more often than not the offenders are lower level, possibly new players who may not be aware of the effects of what they're doing. It happens most often in Wizard City, primarily in the Commons area hence my suspicion that they're new. I would not normally spend a lot of time there with my higher lever wizards but I do a lot of crafting that requires fish as a recipe component so in the case of Catfish, required for the Large Keeper Aquarium, there's little choice but to fish the Commons pond. The same can be said for Gullfish Groupers in the Triton Mill Pond, another area frequented by lower levels that are there to duel the Kraken. I know this may be minor inconvenience but when you're one fish short of your recipe requirement and down to your last 4 points of energy it can be frustrating when it happens.

Thanks,
Sarah Hex
Tiffany Thunder Thistle
Jeffrey

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree. When I forget I have my requests turned on, I am always annoyed when

Blaze BlazeBlaze Level 2 wants to add you as a friend
*no*
*no*
*NO*
Blaze BlazeBlaze has invited you to join a group
*NO*
*spellbook, block all*

And that annoyingness gets the volumed turned way way up when I'm trying to fish.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You already have the ability to turn them off yourself. There's no need to program the game to do it for you. Hit esc, click Privacy Options, Allow Friend Requests -- None. It's already there, no fix needed and this isn't a bug. Also, they can only request twice before being blocked.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
You already have the ability to turn them off yourself. There's no need to program the game to do it for you. Hit esc, click Privacy Options, Allow Friend Requests -- None. It's already there, no fix needed and this isn't a bug. Also, they can only request twice before being blocked.
I'm aware of the fact that the option is there to completely disable friend requests but what you're suggesting is that every time I want to fish I should:
1) hit escape
2) click privacy options
3) allow friend requests - - none
4) exit back to game screen
5) fish
6) when I'm done fishing, reverse all of the above steps to re-set friend requests to - - allow
7) continue on my merry way

I'm not suggesting this needs to be "fixed", I'm merely highlighting what I consider to be a minor fly in the ointment and a suggestion for possible implementation in the future. I find it hard to believe that the addition of a message to would-be friend requesters would be a huge programming nightmare. No more so than the "Your friend is busy" message when trying to port to friends in instances that are, for one reason or another, restricted.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
Once you do it once or twice, it's done fairly quickly

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
OldStormWizard on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
Once you do it once or twice, it's done fairly quickly
The point isn't how well you execute the options change, nor is it whether the control already exists.

The point is usability. In this case, it seems that we have basically three options: 1) put a block on interruptions from fishing, 2) make the friend request menu more accessible, such as docked on the friends window itself, or 3) continue using an interface that's clunky and inefficient while ignoring promising alternatives, ie the "head in the sand" approach.

Third option is cheapest, obviously, but being frugal and riskless is far from a perfect strategy.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Try accepting the first time they ask and then ignoring them.
Tara