Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Firevein immune to taunt?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 10, 2009
Hi I was fighting solo with my storm minion earlier today and noticed my minion was casting taunt but firevien would never hit him. Why did the boss ignore the taunt and still go after me? Doesnt taunt work on bosses? :?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Nope, taunt doesn't work too well on some bosses. They aren't immune but don't heed the taunt as much as we'd like.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
french123 wrote:
Hi I was fighting solo with my storm minion earlier today and noticed my minion was casting taunt but firevien would never hit him. Why did the boss ignore the taunt and still go after me? Doesnt taunt work on bosses? :?

Taunt works on bosses, but what were you doing while your minion was taunting? Were you:

1.) Attacking the boss

2.) Healing yourself

3.) Or extremely low on health?

Either of these three things will keep a enemy focused on you instead. You have to make sure you do not out "aggrovate" your minion.

A tip for using the water elemental. Only shield, trap and blade while your minion is out. Shielding with the same school that boss is dramatically decreases the hits you take while the boss is focused on you. Hopefully, your minion gets taunt within the first three rounds, then heal yourself while the enemy is focused on it. Dismiss the minion to received four pips and then blast away with all your saved up blades from previous rounds.

This works for me almost every single time.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
french123 wrote:

To understand taunt, you need to understand that the AI (Artificial Intelligence) programming routine that controls monster behavior is basically a big math program. I have observed some different behaviors on different monsters/bosses so I'm sure there is variance, however, it basically comes down to who is the biggest threat by the numbers. Taunt only affects those numbers by a set amount. So, for instance (and I'm not saying this is the exact number taunt affects by) when you cast taunt, it seems to the monster that you just hit him for 200 points. If someone else hits him for more, the other person is still going to be a bigger threat. Additionally, some bosses have to be hit for quite a bit before they change their focus... meaning, if he starts the match with his sights set on you, you might have to inflict something like 500 to 600 points of damage to get his attention to shift. Additionally, healing contributes to those figures as well, just no longer in the same amount as it used to. If your minion is taunting... you have to be shielding and preventing damage with only minimum heals until they begin to attack your minion.

I hope that helps...

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
french123 wrote:

Oh, I neglected to mention... If you're really trying to get them to focus on your minion, and you see your minion casting taunt, use soothe to lower your threat level at the same time your minion is raising his. You'll get the same result faster. ;)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
To understand taunt, you need to understand that the AI (Artificial Intelligence) programming routine that controls monster behavior is basically a big math program. I have observed some different behaviors on different monsters/bosses so I'm sure there is variance, however, it basically comes down to who is the biggest threat by the numbers. Taunt only affects those numbers by a set amount. So, for instance (and I'm not saying this is the exact number taunt affects by) when you cast taunt, it seems to the monster that you just hit him for 200 points. If someone else hits him for more, the other person is still going to be a bigger threat. Additionally, some bosses have to be hit for quite a bit before they change their focus... meaning, if he starts the match with his sights set on you, you might have to inflict something like 500 to 600 points of damage to get his attention to shift. Additionally, healing contributes to those figures as well, just no longer in the same amount as it used to. If your minion is taunting... you have to be shielding and preventing damage with only minimum heals until they begin to attack your minion.

I hope that helps...

Gtarhannon,

From previous posts, I assume you have an Ice wizard too? One of the things I struggle with as an ice wizard is not knowing what that magic number is you are referring to. If I knew what that number was, it would work wonders in aggro management. I wish KI would let us know somewhere. Or at least have the taunts and mega-taunts state a number of some sort. Same thing with the soothe line. How is a death wizard to know where to stop the "X" on Pacify?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Gtarhannon,

From previous posts, I assume you have an Ice wizard too? One of the things I struggle with as an ice wizard is not knowing what that magic number is you are referring to. If I knew what that number was, it would work wonders in aggro management. I wish KI would let us know somewhere. Or at least have the taunts and mega-taunts state a number of some sort. Same thing with the soothe line. How is a death wizard to know where to stop the "X" on Pacify?

I do indeed... he is my first and favorite. :D Yeah, it can be frustrating to not know that magic number... except, it might not be magic. Really, it depends on how KI implemented the AI routines but what I'm about to discuss is probably beyond the scope of the topic from the original poster. We can assume that (due to descriptions on threat modifying cards) KI has some sort of numeric "level indicator" so in all likelihood, it doesn't necessarily correspond directly to a numerical amount. That would make a lot of sense as that way it could have a generic effect on a variety of different AI behaviors. KI probably doesn't publish anything because it would be information per monster. For example, lets say they wanted to discourage healing against a boss... they could program that AI so that every 100 points of healing increases the threat level. Perhaps they wanted an enemy that hates ice attacks. They could do that same with it... etc, etc, etc... It could get very convoluted very quickly.

What's frustrating to an ice wizard is that taunt isn't specific and you either have to continually draw fire OR shield. What would make a lot more sense is to have a defensive spell, perhaps even ice armor, that would X level taunt at the same time it makes an absorb. HAHA... there it is... I just solved how to make that spell useful. I might occasionally use ice armor if it did that. Anyway... I hope this helps/makes sense.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Get a Legendary ice wizard to help you with bosses. Their Mega Taunt should infuriate them.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
What's frustrating to an ice wizard is that taunt isn't specific and you either have to continually draw fire OR shield. What would make a lot more sense is to have a defensive spell, perhaps even ice armor, that would X level taunt at the same time it makes an absorb. HAHA... there it is... I just solved how to make that spell useful. I might occasionally use ice armor if it did that. Anyway... I hope this helps/makes sense.

That idea is genius!!!!! You really should post this seperately in the dorms.

Also, good point on the individual aggro rate. While my points were generic taunt rules, Firevein may take exception to something particular in the duel.