Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

EXE. Crashes.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
Since the latest maintenance update, I have been randomly crashing back to the desktop.
This is some lag followed by freeze up and then blackscreening. It can either then crash to the desktop, or I'll be forced to use Task Manager to get out of the game. [ I play full screen. ]

After either of the above, the EXE. takes forever to close, and I get a Windows Error Report.

Prior to this, the game has run beautifully on full screen and all graphic options at max.

There have been no changes to my computer, so the only factor would be that maintenance update. I'm on Vista Home Basic if that helps.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Administrator
We have the tech support you need, but we need more information from you, young Wizard!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding game or account matters, please send an email to: support@wizard101.com. Please include your account username and a DxDiag.

A DxDiag is a utility designed to display the specifications of the user's hardware, as well as to test DirectX software, including sound and video. If you are asked for this information in an email, it helps the support group relate your gaming issue to your personal computer.

To create a dxdiag.txt just go to Start -> Run (or Search in Vista) and enter dxdiag and click OK. Once the program has run it's course, click "Save all Information" and it will output a txt file that you can attach to your email.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Dec 14, 2009

Hello Professor Greyrose,

Unfortunately, I do not have any detailed information to add. I haven't had any crashes like these. However, I too have noticed a higher incidence of "issues" in the past couple of weeks. The game seems much less stable than it had been in the past.

I am disabled and have limited mobility, so I play about 14-16 hours a day. Hence, I probably notice more than most people. But take that into account and the following are things I am noticing more often:

1. Disconnection. I'm assuming this is a Wizards only thing most of the time, as I do listen to the radio streaming through a web browser in the background most days, and that continues to play while Wizards loses it's connection.

Given my 14-16 hour per day habit, I notice disconnections 5-6 times a day.

Please note that some of my other friends have been having a problem with being disconnected a lot lately too. We all feel that there has been a distinct increase in these incidents lately.

Depending on how well the game handles situations where connectivity is lost, this could be the culprit for other issues that seem to be increasing lately.

2. Windows Parental Controls Crashing. I run Wizards on Windows Vista Home Premium. It is my Windows Media Center computer that runs all of the TV for the entire household. It is an extremely high end, custom built machine from S1Digital.

In the past two weeks, this has happened about 4 times. I have lost connectivity in the game, and everything else on the PC loses connectivity to the internet because the Parental Controls Service crashes and stops working.

I have no way of tying Wizards to this crash, however the timing of this behavior always seems to be very suspiciously correlated to some action that I have taken in the game, such as switching wizards, or porting

3. Loss of menu access. This has happened to me about 5 times in the past couple of weeks. Once it happened during battle. When it happened during battle, I was not shown cards to choose. Nothing there. When I finally hit the ESC button to quit out, I was not shown the menu. I can hear the mouse-over sound, when I move the mouse to spots where the buttons SHOULD be, but nothing is shown on the screen.

Independent of battle, the problem with losing access to the menu has happened on its own. Again, I could hear the mouse-overs, but no buttons and the book do not appear on the screen.

I will send you a DxDiag and reference my username here, just so you have the details of my system.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 12 (Initiate Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 11 (Initiate Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Sorcerer)

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Wh1rledPeas wrote:

3. Loss of menu access. This has happened to me about 5 times in the past couple of weeks. Once it happened during battle. When it happened during battle, I was not shown cards to choose. Nothing there. When I finally hit the ESC button to quit out, I was not shown the menu. I can hear the mouse-over sound, when I move the mouse to spots where the buttons SHOULD be, but nothing is shown on the screen.

Independent of battle, the problem with losing access to the menu has happened on its own. Again, I could hear the mouse-overs, but no buttons and the book do not appear on the screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Steven SkullHammer - Level 50 (Grandmaster Thaumaturge)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 25 (Adept Theurgist)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Pyromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 12 (Initiate Necromancer)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 11 (Initiate Diviner)
Steven SkullHammer - Level 10 (Initiate Sorcerer)

This has happened to me alot and it is not recent (at least not for me). First i get the yellow chain and then a loading screen. Afterwards, i have no access to menu. When in battle, I hit ESC, and 'feel' around on screen to find the quit button that will take me back to character selection. Even then the menu options will not show, but if you 'feel' around again, you can hit the play. This will take you directly back to where you were.

When not in battle, i simply hit HOME or END. That gets the menu back.

I am in no way saying this problem should not be fixed, only informing you and others what i do in this situation.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Survivor
Mar 10, 2010
I have also been experiencing a lot of crashes. I never had that problem before the last update. I will be in the middle of a battle and the exe crashes. When I come back I can finish the battle but then I can't move the character. If I use task manager to end the game I don't lose my place in the dungeon. This happens several times a day and I have other friends that have the same problem.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2009
For me the screen goes white and only some of the time the windows error reporting prompt displays. It has happened both during combat and when wandering around doing nothing near duel circles. I thought I'd had it cleared by lowering particles but that didn't help, even re-installed the game to no avail. I sent a dxdiag to support but ended up canceling the ticket as I thought it was fixed.

I've noticed some folks on another forum saying this has been happening before the pet update but for me it started then.

Survivor
May 04, 2010
Don't feel alone OP...

Ever since the pet update, both myself and my wife have been experiencing random crashes - especially when in battle. We often group together and sometimes even crash simultaneously.

Problems are kinda expected after a big update - but this is one that they really need to get fixed ASAP.

If it was just one of our computers doing it - I'd blame the computer. However, both at the same time??? This tells me programming error.

I have even experienced this issues on both my backup computer and my home theater one.

Each of these computers are high-end, custom jobs made and maintained by myself daily. There is no problem with any hardware or driver issues - It's my job in real life to find, diagnose and fix these kinds of problems.

My wife is also disabled and plays a HUGE amount of the time as it helps her keep her pain in the background - and lately with all the problems, if not corrected soon - we'll have to find her another "medication" to play.

Survivor
May 04, 2010
Just a quick update on my crashing problem... Today I think I may have found the answer

I am a nut about having security software, and one that I rely on almost religiously is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It sits in the background and blocks "bad" IP addresses, hack attempts - among other things. As an experiment, I reluctantly shut it down after about 5 crashes in an hour.

After shutting it off, I had zero crashes, freezes or glitches in about 10 hours of gameplay.

I NEVER recommend turning off security programs, but in this case, it worked for me (at least for today).

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Vroya wrote:
Just a quick update on my crashing problem... Today I think I may have found the answer

I am a nut about having security software, and one that I rely on almost religiously is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It sits in the background and blocks "bad" IP addresses, hack attempts - among other things. As an experiment, I reluctantly shut it down after about 5 crashes in an hour.

After shutting it off, I had zero crashes, freezes or glitches in about 10 hours of gameplay.

I NEVER recommend turning off security programs, but in this case, it worked for me (at least for today).

I tried that and paused my security software to reinstall the game but it didnt work, still cant play! And still waiting for KI to respond back. :(
Glad it worked for you though, ty for the tip.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I've also experienced the frozen player issue. There seem to be "dead" spots in the game. The fix is to log out and then log back in again, and then move QUICKLY. If you wait more than a second or two after your character appears in the game, you'll freeze again. Once you move a few steps, you should be fine.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2010
i having same problems atm with crahes, i cant enter pet derby or the whole game shuts down, lots of graphic problems with some attacks and i keep getting stuck randomly not being able to move

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
I have had crashes like this since I started Wizard. At first I believed it was my internet connection, but most of the time I'm running other programs that function normally as Wizard freezes up. The little broken chain of death pops up on the game and I have to log out. Mostly, it's just an inconvenience. But lately, especially in Dragonspyre, I get kicked back to the beginning of dungeons/multi-level instances. I tried to beat Edrik's Vault three times this morning. After being disconnected and reverting back to the beginning for the third time, I decided to begin a new online game because the fun factor is quickly leaving Wizard. Between the disconnections, the shut-downs almost nightly for maintainance, and the dungeon kick-backs when the game does crash - it's more frustrating than entertaining.
I have friends on this game, and it's disppointing to leave, but the money doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Survivor
Mar 18, 2009
"Independent of battle, the problem with losing access to the menu has happened on its own. Again, I could hear the mouse-overs, but no buttons and the book do not appear on the screen. "

For any that do not know, when this happens their are a few work-arounds.

Control+G twice will hide and unhide the menu. Best used in a fight.

HOME key will teleport you home and the menu should re-appear.

END key should teleport you to your world hug and menu should re-appear.

If you are somewhere hard to get just Control+G twice, mark, teleport elsewhere, then teleport back to your mark.

If it happens outside of a fight and you Control+G twice you probably won't be able to move your character but teleporting will fix that. (You have to teleport outside your current area. - Teleporting to a friend a few steps away won't work.)

None of this should be needed, but sometimes it is.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2008
The same thing has been happening to me. :( After a period of time, my game suddenly freezes loads and then all the sudden, i can't see any of the pictures your supposed to see! (how much mana,health,pet energy, spell cards,etc) After this happens i have to force shut my computer down. Can KI fix this problem? if so, when?