Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Enhanced Boss Encounters and Stun Lock

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 29, 2009
KINGSISLE you fail. i honestly think if you wanted to make the game a little more challenging you could have easily added more health to the bosses or gave them stun attacks. THI ENHANCED battle just tanks. i thought it was over done just when ever class enemy was using weakness on you every other turn. people eventually adjusted to that. but putting weak characters such as my noob sorcerer in a situation where i can no longer fight by myself wasnt cool. We all complained in test about this unjustable cheating you allowed for the monsters. if you give them a leg up you should do the same for your own customers. One more thing if you are still not willing to listen to us atleast make one realm like it should be. A NON ENHANCED ONE. you should make more than one though or it will crash from too many people on that one realm. My little sisters dont play anymore they went back to toontown. and well after the patch i dont blame them.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
Ok I have a Death wizard and I solo everything before the patch I soloed everything except Great Spyre and Kensington needed help with Great spyre because you needed three people to do the crystals and to open the inner doors you need two people to kill the draconians around the same time and kensington because the mobs had more health than the bosses.

In the Test Realm I soloed everything but the final four Raven bosses. Yes I soloed Jotun too. He destroyed me the first fight and then I remembered King said something about his brothers. So I went and killed one of his brothers then to him and no more interruptions. Actually, he was easy after that just a long fight. Ravens took three of us all Grandmasters and we died, fled and come back multiple times. It wasn't due to interrupts but because they cast spells without pips. Several complaints were lodged.

Now to Live. Again did all of GH solo up to the Raven bosses again and now can't find anyone that wants to take them on. Not because of interrupt but again because of casting spells without the right number of pips. So we rolled up to Malistair not realizing he now was a solo guy with 100k hit points. Read patch notes of his new interrupt but that didn't bother us. Three of us Grandmasters (I was on my daughter's life toon) and we did maybe 12k damage on him. He started off with back to back meteors. Four pip skill with one pip. Let's just say that pretty much the whole fight is four pips spells with less than four pips plus he didn't use any pips when he cast. This is the same as the Raven bosses in GH casting spells without the right number of pips and not using pips when they did cast spells.

Now for changes. This is pretty much the same as what I suggested during the Test Realm. Keep interrupt I think that's a cool ability, keep the summoning of minions that makes sense. But Bosses should be restricted to pip count just as we are. Back to back meteors not a problem if he actually has four pips at least based on description of interrupt. But back to back Scarecrows followed by back to back Tempests or meteors in some cases with only one pip needs to end or Kings Isle will find this game dead in six months.
The Stun absorb ok I can see how that is a good thing but it should only last for two rounds max. I don't pvp but I do find that Stun absorb lasts way to long after being stunned. Also make Stun actually work even with the Interrupt if you hit the bosses with Stun then they shouldn't be able to attack even with interrupt.

Item Changes. All top end items should have their stats increased by 10 percent.
Spell Changes. Pretty much all the spells are good they way they are but Ice should have it's base damage increased by 10 percent.
Myth the Orthrus should be able to attack all targets like the other classes 7 pip attack spells.

Well that's my two cents. Other than that I don't see this patch pulling people in unless something is changed.

Defender
May 06, 2009
To add my own two cents, as a parent:

If you found some bosses were too easy to defeat, that's fine.

Make them harder within the scope of the game's rules? Allow them to heal if they have the pips to do so? Summon in minions, if they have the pips to do so? Great.

Make them harder only by breaking the established game rules, the rules that players HAVE to follow? Playing out of turn? Casting spells that aren't even available in the world, and not even needing to collect enough pips to cast it? Boss-level 'Minions' summoned in for free that can cast a spell immediately upon being summoned? Bad. Bad bad. LAME, in fact.

Show me one other kid-directed game that increases difficulty level by having the enemy cheat, I bet you won't find one. Grown-up games do this and I STILL think it is a lame copout when it is done. Even in kid TV shows, when the bad guy cheats, it is supposed to turn out to be his undoing. Do we want to teach our kids that a good way to be sure to win is to cheat? I really don't.

A boss fight should ideally be as close to PVP as possible. If you want to have some bosses cheat, make it only a few and only ONE predictable cheat method. That way one can at least prepare.

While you're at it, PLEASE: bump up the level 50 cap, because it's clear that if a group of seasoned grandmasters can't take down a boss, you're making it just too hard, because there is really nothing else that can be done to make those grandmasters stronger.

And for certain, if a boss is next to impossible to defeat now, it had better be worthwhile to do so. I can only imagine doing a super hard boss fight and be rewarded with a piece of furniture (as happened to me with Smogger, this last time)

Survivor
May 16, 2009
LucarioAura45 wrote:
Guys you are not going to believe this: I ported to my friend who was fighting Jade Oni, and MY friend ported, and then BAM. Death Oni and Plague Oni were summoned to the battlefield with 1000 health and 1100 health! Isn't that so weird?

I saw the same thing. I helped out a friend who was battling the Jade Oni and another wizard joined in. The Oni was a challenge for a wizard in Dragonspyre, a wizard on the quest to defeat him, and me having just gotten to Mooshu. He summoned first the War Oni with 1,000 health. After we defeated him the Jade Oni summoned the Plague Oni with 1,100 health. After he was defeated he summoned the Death Oni with 1,250 health. With all of these intrusions, an already long battle was made even longer.

The Jade Oni is a boss that is not supposed to have minions. Before the patch, he was fine for the level 35-45 range he was intended to fight. Back in June, he could have been soloed. Now if you want to fight these enhanced bosses, you must look for friends, but many like to solo. Well KI, now you have disappointed your audience of viewers by making the game nearly impossible. I mean come on, meteor strikes with one pip for Malistare! Taking away blades and shields! Summoning boss minions to aid other bosses! Healing without pips! That equals prolonged battles, and that is NOT what the majority of Wizard 101 players want. It also equals complete and total UNFAIRNESS for these duels, again not what your players want. The boss encounters were fine before this patch. I (and i am sure my fellow Wizard 101 players agree) suggest that KI take away this enhanced boss encounters part of the patch. The rest of it was fine. However, this one part will very likely be your doom for bankrupcy if it is not taken away. You have made your players very upset about this patch and it is likely that many will quit and you will drop back under 1,000,000 players if it is not taken away. Please take it away!

Level 36 Magus Life/Storm Wizard
Matthew AnvilBlossom

Delver
May 29, 2009
Runstorm1981 wrote:
Me and two other grandmasters fought Jotun in test. We did about 8 times. Because the games got interrupted 3 times each round. And each time they hit almost 1000 damage on us. I agree some of the boss fights need to be harder. Yea up their health and let them call in a minon. But to interrupt the game and cheat (hello its not their turn) then it becomes nearly impossible to beat them. I like to solo and play as a group if my friends are on. And I don't mind helping if the players near me are doing the same quest. But there are times that I just like to play on my own specially if my friends aren't online or they are busy and can't help.

I solo the game as well. I run to someone's aid when they yell help during a battle and I have made that same cry too. I have friends that I can play with but some are on different quests than me and I am trying to get my six characters built up to the same level.

Yesterday I worked on two different characters. My death/life and my storm/myth. Both were doing the book quest for Boris Tallstaff. I had no problems before when I fought these bosses singlely when I had lower health. However when I had to fight Nightshade he put up his dome and interrupted every turn he got.

So the battle went much like this: him, field guard, him again then me attacking. Him, field guard me healing and only getting 200 health instead of 400, him attacking, him attacking, the field guard, me trying to heal myself again. I never got to attack him but the first time as I spent most of my time trying to stay alive. Then not only that I just got half the health. I was defeated twice before I beat him.

These were adept characters with 1300+ life. Boy were they battle scarred.

I like a challenge don't get me wrong but when you do play solo this is like fighting three monsters at once. Besides I think that with the monster enhancement they should drop way better stuff. I don't want any more Summertime Cowls or whatever it's called that my characters can't wear anymore because it is only for Fire school. I can't even sell it at the bazaar for a good price because it is a No Trade No Auction item.

I paid for a year's subscription and I won't be cancelling my account anytime soon because I want to see how far I get. I just wish KI would take into consideration how their modifications affect ALL the players of the game. Whethere you are young or old, solo or group, or play for fun or for competition.

Defender
May 15, 2009
Typhonfire wrote:
Take away the "interrupt". I am a software developer, and things like this are what we call "bugs."

Its not a bug, but it is really contrary to the game's fundamentals.

I only figured out what the heck was happening because I'm a former M:tG player (which has interrupt spells). Had I wanted to play M:tG, I would play any of my three options to do so; W101 doesn't need to mimic it.

Donald Curtis, 7/97 Science of Mind Magazine, p. 53 wrote:

Never again will I make the simple into the complex. Something of true value does not become more valuable because it becomes complicated. Experience and conditions come and go; complications arise and fall away, but the simple action of God is eternal in the universe.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
I must agree completely with the OP on this one. These updates have added elements to the game that have totally taken the fun out of it. I find myself considering other MMO's as an alternative to this one now that its so much more difficult. My main character is a death wizard, and before the update going solo was relatively easy enough, with every so often needing a hand from a friend. Now, even with 4 grandmaster wizards there are bosses that are simply impossible to beat. These changes are to much, and I for one am not likely to renew subscription next month if this is the direction this game is going to take.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
[quote=nimbysep
the stuns? imo you should deal with it as it is now just as we dealt with it as you had it before, get over it there are more of us glad to see a stop to the chain stunning than the ones who want it back
now for the boss changes i have my account that i post with paid for 1 year, my nieces account paid for monthly, and the first time she cries because she can not do the game within the hour her mom allows her at a time will be canceled, my second account already cancelled as of the new update, my son's account gone he stopped the game, was going to come back for gh, but with the boss changes not happening. my nephews account, honestly on hold right now for behavior,(lost his allowence, so can't pay), says when he gets his allowence back he won't be back with the boss encounters this way. let see that is 3 accounts already gone one pending a melt down and then loss of game and 1 contacting for a refund for the 6 months left. gee think ki is losing customers with this update? 5 accounts 3 gone one on its way and one very close to gone, gee did i get that score card right?

You can add mine and my family's accounts as well, thats another 5 gone.

Survivor
May 24, 2009
About the solo player thing. I agree many player that do not have text chat have trouble finding help unless it finds them. So thy do it alone and that is fine. But now that can't even happen. And even for someone who does have text chat, maybe they don't like to talk with people. Not everyone has a select team of the best of the best. :?

Administrator
Regarding the Boss Encounters, thank you for all your feedback - please read Cyrus Drake's message located here for further information:

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/8018.ftl

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-