Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Element shields and Damage over Time spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 04, 2010
I'm a new player in Wizard101 who chose to play a storm wizard (I wish I had chosen something with more health and accuracy, but I digress.) and I've noticed something really annoying about element shields that block a percentage of damage for the next spell cast on you.

If you have, for arguments sake, a fire shield up and get hit with a damage over time (DoT) spell like the fire elf card it only blocks the initial damage but does nothing for the DoT effects. They still do full damage. Also, while you have the DoT on you any fire shield you place on yourself is basically nulled out because it blocks the remaining DoT that is on your character, each time it triggers.

Does anyone else think that is ridiculous? The fire shield should not only block the intial damage but also the DoT afterwards. Also, the remaining DoT should NOT take off any other fire shields you put on yourself.

Am I alone with this thinking?

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Detrimental2 wrote:
I'm a new player in Wizard101 who chose to play a storm wizard (I wish I had chosen something with more health and accuracy, but I digress.) and I've noticed something really annoying about element shields that block a percentage of damage for the next spell cast on you. If you have, for arguments sake, a fire shield up and get hit with a damage over time (DoT) spell like the fire elf card it only blocks the initial damage but does nothing for the DoT effects. They still do full damage. Also, while you have the DoT on you any fire shield you place on yourself is basically nulled out because it blocks the remaining DoT that is on your character, each time it triggers.

Does anyone else think that is ridiculous? The fire shield should not only block the intial damage but also the DoT afterwards. Also, the remaining DoT should NOT take off any other fire shields you put on yourself.

You will be glad you picked storm if you reach 50. The health difference is negligable, the accuracy is made up on gear, and the spells are far and away the most efficient damaging and superior multi-target killing spells of any school, of course i may be biased

but i digress
The way DoTs work is actually a blessing, since it causes their traps to only work on one tick of the DoT as well. DoT spells are actually incredibly weak, even Heckhound is pretty pathetic, not utilizing traps and giving you ample time to heal back the damage.

In my opinion, elemental shields are all but completely worthless for PvE anyway. You would be far better off just stacking traps and blades while waiting for pips so you can one-shot each enemy in turn (or at the same time with tempest) and then healing yourself after, or even better, with wisps after the fight is over.

Thats just my 2c

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
The DoT spells removal of shields is one of the strengths of the Fire school.
Although it does sound unfair, there is also a drawback to the DoT. Traps and Prisms are also used for the initial attack only. For example: If I used a fire elf after using a prism the first attack would be converted to ice, but the other attacks would still be fire. Although annoying to the wizard, those DoT spells also have the same affect on the enemies--removing their shields. This is a great advantage at a higher level and in PvP.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
Detrimental2@ Damage. Over. Time spells are supposed to have that effect. D.O.Ts are aimed to take off many shields over a period of time and deal a substantial amount of damage while doing so. Many schools get D.O.Ts such as Death's Poison, Fire's elf, dragon, heckhound, scald, and link, Ice's frostbite, and the many transmutations of Fire elf for the elemental schools. The fact that the damage amount is not affected by the shield is one of the Fire schools strengths.
I hope this answered your post.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
Detrimental2 wrote:
Does anyone else think that is ridiculous? The fire shield should not only block the intial damage but also the DoT afterwards.

You may not be alone; I was surprised when I first figured out how it works. However it does not really disrupt the balance of the game. In fact, the fire school may be defined (and played off of the other schools) by the great number of Damage-over-Time spells.

These spells have tradeoffs. Instead of instantly inflicting the full damage, you have to wait 2 or even 3 rounds before all of the damage is done. By diluting the initial impact of the spell, this gives the opponent plenty of time to recover, or inflict severe damage upon you.

It does help the caster for the DoT spell to knock out shields on every strike. But it is nearly impossible to use traps/prisms/curses to really boost the damage you can inflict, thus limiting the total damage that can be done.

Hero
May 02, 2009
True, our DoT spells may not do full damage until after 3 rounds, but one of the good things about it is that that feature prevents opponents from using any kind of fire shield, and also tower shields as well. If they throw a spirit or ice armor, the DoT will just eat away at it.

So while DoT may seem to be weak at times, it actually can be a blessing/life savor, especially since our fire elemental minion likes to spam fire elves constantly.

Also, fire is the second most powerful school in the game. This, combined with our mass amount of DoT spells, it makes up for us having the second lowest health in the game. 8)

Seth ShadowCloud
Grandmaster Pyromancer/Diviner/Thaumaturge
A good friend

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
It's really funny when I have a fire shield on me, and then I put a Weakness on a monster, and he puts a damage trap on me. And then he casts a Fire Elf. All those charms are pretty much wasted, with little damage to me.