Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disapearring Wands.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
Why does my wand keep disappearing out of my hand and not come back unless I load into another street of realm.

Defender
Oct 19, 2008
i think it is just a glitch, mine didn't show up a lot of the time too, i would just get a wand, they never leave your hand.

Explorer
Nov 04, 2008
yeah i have this problem too with all my wands swords staffs they dissapear then reappear after i talk to someone

Administrator
Your wand, sword or staff is meant to disappear when you talk or do emotes.

When you talk you emote with your hands and we can't have Wizards flailing around sharp pointy things around in a crowd.

The others are referring to your wand, sword or staff not showing up in combat, yet you still have the cards, you just look like you're not holding anything.

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Defender
Dec 31, 2008
The problem is not only during combat, but also while standing around doing nothing. The staff or wand is supposed to reappear immediately after your speech or gesture is done. In the case of staffs, about half the times when it should reappear it fails to do so. In these cases you are left indefinitely holding thin air, until you take an *additional* action that would normally make the staff disappear and reappear. The staff is getting all of the messages to disappear, and only about half of the messages to reappear.

The easiest way to make your staff reappear while standing around is to hit space bar to jump. Prior to dragonspyre launch, I would pass time while waiting by hitting space repeatedly, turning my staff on and off like a light switch. The staffs have been better at reappearing since the launch, so you can turn them "on" but not "off" by jumping. Think of it as a minor conjuring trick, like flipping a coin into the air and catching it.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Gamma wrote:
Your wand, sword or staff is meant to disappear when you talk or do emotes.

When you talk you emote with your hands and we can't have Wizards flailing around sharp pointy things around in a crowd.

The others are referring to your wand, sword or staff not showing up in combat, yet you still have the cards, you just look like you're not holding anything.

Actually, no. That's not quite what we're talking about.

What you're saying does happen, true; but if the OP were talking about that, he wouldn't have mentioned having to change realms or rooms in order to put the wand back in his hand. You can't do either of that, after all, in the middle of combat!

No, what we're talking about is why the wand/staff/sword consistently disappears at any time, and leaves you wandering around with nothing at all in your right hand but a lot of air!

I'm sure it's related to the chat system. My wand never disappears unless i start chatting with another wizard - and yes, I know it's supposed to do that; but like you said, it's also supposed to come back!

It never happens to me when the chat window is closed; and, as a corollary, it always will happen at some point when i am chatting. Pretty much usually right away, in fact.

The good news is that you can always bring it back into your hand by hitting the space bar key - either with the chat window open (which usually, but not always, works) or by closing it first and then hitting the space bar (which always works). The bad news is that hitting the space bar also makes your wizard hop and skip like she's in the middle of some bizarre, never ending game of hopscotch. If you're ever chatting with a wizard, and he or she is sporadically jumping around while doing it, chances are that's what they're doing.

And, frankly, it does get tiresome. I have to hit the space bar key (quite literally) a hundred times or more per game session if I want to see my wand/staff/sword in my hand. I mean, yes, I can always bring it back; but why should I have to ever do it in the first place?

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
This also happens to me, i hope to see it fixed in the future. But you guys are all saying Wands/Staffs/Swords are disappearing? But the wands and staff you see, where do you find your sword on your character, i have never seen mine, i just thought it gave you an extra boost of power?

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
This always happens to me and usually doesn't come back unless I un-equip the wand and then equip it again.
It always poof's when I'm fighting and my fist is drawing the death/fire thing. xD

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Myutlonghorns wrote:
This also happens to me, i hope to see it fixed in the future. But you guys are all saying Wands/Staffs/Swords are disappearing? But the wands and staff you see, where do you find your sword on your character, i have never seen mine, i just thought it gave you an extra boost of power?

You're thinking of the knives/athames. At the higher level worlds (Mooshu and Dragonspyre), swords are available as wands. They take the place of wands or staffs in you hand, and have the added bonus of giving you an extra power pip at the start of every fight!

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
Happens to me and my friends all the time. I had no idea that you could fix it by jumping though! Thanks for the tip.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
I think I know why it disappears when you start chatting.

If you can type really fast, and, for example, you say "lol", then press enter, then say "xD" then press enter, and you do that before your wizard has stopped doing the chat emote, the wand/staff/sword will disappear.

I hope this helps you ;)!!