Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

DDOS attacks still going on?!

2
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 23, 2015
13
flowermote on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
This has been going on not just weeks, but we are now into the end of the second month with these attacks. Just when the problem seems to be taken care of, it all starts all over again. This comment is written Sept. 28, 2017. Check back on when this began and all the frustrations that are going on with this problem. I've been steadily paying my subscriptions, as have many people, and when we invest in a form of entertainment we expect to receive something in return. It's kind of you to consider that there are worse problems effecting our world, but when I hand over a payment for something, please hand over what I pay for. I would appreciate being brought up to date with exactly what is going on to correct all of this -- especially since it is taking so long. A special report on this matter sent out weekly would be enlightening. BTW, no one loves and appreciates KingsIsle, Wizard101, and Pirate101 more than I. I've been a big fan for a very long time. We just need to be kept better informed as to what is going on to give us back our game.
Ok this is being blatantly dishonest. It is not the 'end of the second month', they started at the very end of August. Also for 2-3 weeks the game was absolutely fine, and if you think its taking too long to fix why don't you fix it since you are so sure it can be done sooner.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1013
I did see KI posting some jobs for server people, so hopefully they learned their lesson and will do better in the future!

Sometimes when a company has big layoffs like they did they tend to get rid of the wrong people to save money!

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
Pouffy on Sep 6, 2017 wrote:
I thinnk we all need maybe a a free 1 month or like a trial for membership or something to make up for it or we all get a certain amount of crowns to get back what we missed after paying for the game. But I can also say that the hurricane disaster was very bad, but there was also a flooding in another country shortly after and nobody has ever mentioned that.
It isn't as much time as you think, I don't even think the amount of offline time totals to 24 hours.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
12
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
It isn't as much time as you think, I don't even think the amount of offline time totals to 24 hours.
It has been going on for a month. The servers are unplayable again tonight. It is much more time then YOU think.

Cheers!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
It isn't as much time as you think, I don't even think the amount of offline time totals to 24 hours.
Some of us couldn't get on for days.

That said, I think KI is doing what they can, and doesn't need added pressure from fans/players, so I won't give them any.

I'm sure as nervous as the DDOS makes players, it would make the owners feel worse. After all it's not just a pastime for them, but their livelihood.

To the person who asked: In layman's terms, a DDOS attack makes 'bots' try to log on to the server so often and fast that the server crashes. Then no one else can log on either. Since a bot isn't human it can do this 24 hours a day.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
73
Im sorry to rant but I myself are annoyed....by people that whine and rant and want things fixed Right Now!.....does one really think KI doesnt know and doesnt care?.....computer hacking is not a simple fix and it takes time....be glad we even HAVE a game to enjoy....in the meantime go read a book!...oh,oh, now I hear foot stomping. whaa.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
olddragonlady59 on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
I am having trouble with loading the game. it downloads then I get a message saying , That place is not ready for you right now, try again later.

Whats going on .PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
I might be able to help with the 'not ready yet' message: Did you delete your game installation when the DDOS first happened?

A lot of people thought their game file had corrupted so they deleted the game and all of its files.

If you deleted your game at some point, then, after your fresh installation, you will have to download each area all over again, the first time you go there.

That includes your houses, inside and out, and every single area in the game. Sorry. The good news is once you have done that again, you should be good to go afterward.
The DDOS is something separate. But people who are getting the 'not ready yet' message or 'please wait while we deliver' message -- that could be because the game thinks it's new if you completely deleted then reinstalled it.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
1013
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2017 wrote:
It isn't as much time as you think, I don't even think the amount of offline time totals to 24 hours.
Depending on where you lived, I could not get online for over 5 days during the height of the attacks.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
Koramik on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
It has been going on for a month. The servers are unplayable again tonight. It is much more time then YOU think.

Cheers!
First of all it has not been going on for months and second of all the servers are never fully playable. KI goes offline almost dayly. So it's less than YOU think.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
Koramik on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
It has been going on for a month. The servers are unplayable again tonight. It is much more time then YOU think.

Cheers!
Although it's been going on for a month, it's done little to affect people. At the beginning, people went offline, some people didn't but it never lasted for long. It definitely does not add up to enough time to allow someone to get a free month of play.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
frostednutella on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
Although it's been going on for a month, it's done little to affect people. At the beginning, people went offline, some people didn't but it never lasted for long. It definitely does not add up to enough time to allow someone to get a free month of play.
It must be a matter of opinion. A lot of people were affected by the DDOS. They were not able to play for days or even in some cases for weeks. Just check out the twitter account for this game.

The "free month" stuff is another topic, but, I think one person shouldn't claim that this only had "little effect" on other players. Judging from what most people online are saying, they'd be of a different opinion on that.

It seemed to differ somewhat based on time zone and where you live. So maybe you were not that affected. Doesn't mean everyone had the same experience.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
1. THERE has been ONE ddos attack under Sep from what i know, i play daily (lol 2much .-.-), rest of the time there's either maintenance or just server problem.

2. For the person who said "it's a bot trying to login blabla".
Just no man, no, dont give false facts based on nothing. There's different type of ddos attacks, most attacks are Layer4 these days but also Layer7 + you can't really call it a bot, since it's more like an zombie over loading the IP/Server/Website (Website = Dos Attack (Layer7), while DDos = is on IPs (Layer4) with a big amount of packets.
Until the server doesn't respond. These (D)Dos attacks are based on botnets (Probably why you thought on Bot's)

AND FOR A FACT - If there would have been a ddos or just we can't play because of server PROBLEMS, i think we should get some kind of compensation, since either waste of day(s) on our subscriptions or just waste of the money and time, "Crowners" have spent (Well can't call it a waste, but y'all understand -.-)

The compensation can be anything, t.ex. the time we lost on our subscriptions goes back, or 100Crowns. You wouldn't lose anything on doing this.

Sorry for my bad "England" :D

PS: Would have been so much easier to write in Swedish, to bad you wouldn't understand :/
PS2: I'm a kid developer, so sorry for bad "points" in this bad comment. Love you W101 team and players woop.
PS3: I wrote this fast, sorry if i got bad grammar etc...

Regards
Arti

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
SparkleTude on Sep 30, 2017 wrote:
It must be a matter of opinion. A lot of people were affected by the DDOS. They were not able to play for days or even in some cases for weeks. Just check out the twitter account for this game.

The "free month" stuff is another topic, but, I think one person shouldn't claim that this only had "little effect" on other players. Judging from what most people online are saying, they'd be of a different opinion on that.

It seemed to differ somewhat based on time zone and where you live. So maybe you were not that affected. Doesn't mean everyone had the same experience.
It must be a matter of opinion. A lot of people were affected by the DDOS. They were not able to play for days or even in some cases for weeks. Just check out the twitter account for this game.

Okay so, i dont what you're talking about, everyone will be ablbe to play on the same time if the server get's ddos:ed. So what are you talking about?

Let's say, the server gets "ddos:ed" for one day and some people can play after 2 days.
THAT means that EVERYONE will be able to play after 2 days, though i think all the worlds/realms are different servers -> some realms can work and some can't. STILL it wont affect the game if 3 servers are gone -> People wont be able to join those realms/servers. That's all, a ddos attack wont make some people not able to play in 1 week, that would more likely mean you're blacklisted from the server or you yourself got ddosed attacked.

It seemed to differ somewhat based on time zone and where you live. So maybe you were not that affected. Doesn't mean everyone had the same experience.

Okay so, this can be another thing, i live in Sweden and most people here lives in USA/Australia. So if the servers got ddos:ed while people in USA sleeps, that means i would lose around 2 days (from my perspective, well it's only a 6hrs difference hoho, but think about the people in Australia ;) )

Regards
Arti

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
Articuz I'm not sure why you are taking such exception to my posts or opinions.

Read the official explanation about the DDOS. I'm not sure why you are stating there's no such thing as a bot attack. That's the widely accepted explanation of what has happened in this case.

Could you put quotes around the parts of my post you have quoted, if you're going to include it in the body of your reply? It can be very confusing to others, who said what. I only recognized which parts (within your reply) that I wrote because I remember writing those parts.

I am not here to argue with anyone, but your posts seemed fairly confrontational in tone. Maybe it's the language difference.

Not sure what you meant by saying everyone would be affected the same since it's the same server (do we know for a fact everyone signs on to the same server? because I don't think that is the case), and then in the same post, you stated that different people would be affected differently because of when they wake up. Well, even in different time zones, some people are awake nights and some are awake days, in their time zones.

It's a simple fact that people who were on the east coast in the USA (which is only a few hours different from the west coast in the USA) were able to play many times when the west coast could not. This was during exactly the same point in time, and people were reporting this 'live' so to speak. So it's simply not true that it was the same for everyone.

Can't people accept or believe when others say how it was for them? Even if it wasn't the same for you? There were many people who couldn't play for days on end. I recall barely being able to get into the game for one battle, for a couple of weeks. Other times the game would load but that's all. Or the wizard (as in the most recent attack) could get into the game but not leave the zone it was in. If you were not somewhere with enemies, you couldn't do any battles.

I'm trying not to be offended but I find it hard being disbelieved.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
Articuz on Oct 2, 2017 wrote:
1. THERE has been ONE ddos attack under Sep from what i know, i play daily (lol 2much .-.-), rest of the time there's either maintenance or just server problem.

2. For the person who said "it's a bot trying to login blabla".
Just no man, no, dont give false facts based on nothing. There's different type of ddos attacks, most attacks are Layer4 these days but also Layer7 + you can't really call it a bot, since it's more like an zombie over loading the IP/Server/Website (Website = Dos Attack (Layer7), while DDos = is on IPs (Layer4) with a big amount of packets.
Until the server doesn't respond. These (D)Dos attacks are based on botnets (Probably why you thought on Bot's)

AND FOR A FACT - If there would have been a ddos or just we can't play because of server PROBLEMS, i think we should get some kind of compensation, since either waste of day(s) on our subscriptions or just waste of the money and time, "Crowners" have spent (Well can't call it a waste, but y'all understand -.-)

The compensation can be anything, t.ex. the time we lost on our subscriptions goes back, or 100Crowns. You wouldn't lose anything on doing this.

Sorry for my bad "England" :D

PS: Would have been so much easier to write in Swedish, to bad you wouldn't understand :/
PS2: I'm a kid developer, so sorry for bad "points" in this bad comment. Love you W101 team and players woop.
PS3: I wrote this fast, sorry if i got bad grammar etc...

Regards
Arti
Yeah thanks for making fun of my post but that was in layman's terms. Bots can crash a server. Put it in your "Developer" terms then since you are a "Kid developer" In your words.

Just because you only had trouble one day does not mean there was one DDOS attack. Again, look at the twitter feed, look at the you tube comments, look at the posts and official statement on this website. It was not only one time, one day. In fact it was a few days of inability to access the game before there was an official statement.

The attacks began in late August from what I recall and were sporadic throughout September. Anyway, can people accept that the hardest hit seemed to be USA in central and western time zones, and sometimes the east coast too. We didn't hear about other places until toward end of September (again, if memory serves), when we heard part of England and such were also hit.

Maybe someone can confirm or deny Articuz' claim that there is only one server for the entire world, for this game?! It doesn't sound accurate to me. Also anyone can claim to be anything online, no offense, but many have already weighed in on all of this. I didn't make up what I said. Many who used much more technical language said it before me, again, look online more than here, and take the words of those who experienced differently than yourself, maybe. Thank you.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
This really does not make any sense to me:

"Let's say, the server gets "ddos:ed" for one day and some people can play after 2 days.
THAT means that EVERYONE will be able to play after 2 days,"

No, because I saw differently, repeatedly, in 'live real time,' that some could join the game and others could not. I'm not sure what you mean by "after two days."


"though i think all the worlds/realms are different servers -> some realms can work and some can't."

Yes, I think there are different servers for different time zones and parts of the world, and not all servers were attacked at once. Isn't that what I've been saying?

"STILL it wont affect the game if 3 servers are gone -> People wont be able to join those realms/servers."

Again that's what I and some others have been saying: That although some players may have been able to play as normal, many could not get in at all. Also that for some the denial of service i.e. not being able to get into the game and/or play as normal (leave the zone they were in for instance, Marleybone town square, or the Wizard City Commons, whatever), was much more frequent than for others.

So how did that not "affect the game" for those players?! At first -- again if you look at the twitter feed during those times -- it seemed pretty uniform and complete, and widespread.

"That's all, a ddos attack wont make some people not able to play in 1 week,"

Yes it can and did. Obviously people cannot sit trying to get into their game 24/7 for a whole week, but, if every time they try, it's a complete denial of entry, that's "unable to play for one week." It wasn't just normal server updates. We know the difference and it's fairly insulting of those who continue to insist we don't. Those are told us and are typically between 3 and 5 AM or something like that. This was completely different.

"that would more likely mean you're blacklisted from the server or you yourself got ddosed attacked."

I'm not banned. Thousands of people?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
Articuz on Oct 2, 2017 wrote:
1. THERE has been ONE ddos attack under Sep from what i know, i play daily (lol 2much .-.-), rest of the time there's either maintenance or just server problem.

2. For the person who said "it's a bot trying to login blabla".
Just no man, no, dont give false facts based on nothing. There's different type of ddos attacks, most attacks are Layer4 these days but also Layer7 + you can't really call it a bot, since it's more like an zombie over loading the IP/Server/Website (Website = Dos Attack (Layer7), while DDos = is on IPs (Layer4) with a big amount of packets.
Until the server doesn't respond. These (D)Dos attacks are based on botnets (Probably why you thought on Bot's)

AND FOR A FACT - If there would have been a ddos or just we can't play because of server PROBLEMS, i think we should get some kind of compensation, since either waste of day(s) on our subscriptions or just waste of the money and time, "Crowners" have spent (Well can't call it a waste, but y'all understand -.-)

The compensation can be anything, t.ex. the time we lost on our subscriptions goes back, or 100Crowns. You wouldn't lose anything on doing this.

Sorry for my bad "England" :D

PS: Would have been so much easier to write in Swedish, to bad you wouldn't understand :/
PS2: I'm a kid developer, so sorry for bad "points" in this bad comment. Love you W101 team and players woop.
PS3: I wrote this fast, sorry if i got bad grammar etc...

Regards
Arti
Hi Arti,

I appreciate that you're trying to write in a second language, and that you gave an accurate description of how DDOS attacks work. However, it seems you didn't experience the full brunt of the attacks in the same way that people in the United States did. Perhaps that is because the European servers were affected differently and at different times of the day than the USA ones.

The attacks began on 30 Aug and continued, intermittently, for two weeks.

With each attack, many people who were were playing were suddenly kicked off the servers and then unable to log back in at all. For hours. Others were kicked off, but could log back in after trying a couple of times. Unfortunately, they could only play for 10-15 minutes before getting kicked off again. Those of us who would get kicked off for long periods of time tended to be north and west of Texas, most especially on the West Coast of the US (Californian, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, etc.) People who could log back in fairly quickly were on the East Coast of the USA.

There's a very long thread of 750 posts on this very board, where you can hear from all of the various people who were unable to log in and how the DDOS attacks affected them.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/game-not-loading-8ad6a42b5e0e26ba015e35c7642f3707?page=1

The thread runs from 30 August through 4 Sep, when the attacks were at their worst. On 9 Sept another wave of attacks hit, and the thread continues through 12 Sep, when Dworgyn locked it. That's two weeks of attacks. For you to say in your first point that there was "only one attack" is inaccurate.

Alia Misthaven
PS: Your writing was mostly correct, with very minor mistakes here and there.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
SparkleTude on Oct 2, 2017 wrote:
This really does not make any sense to me:

"Let's say, the server gets "ddos:ed" for one day and some people can play after 2 days.
THAT means that EVERYONE will be able to play after 2 days,"

No, because I saw differently, repeatedly, in 'live real time,' that some could join the game and others could not. I'm not sure what you mean by "after two days."


"though i think all the worlds/realms are different servers -> some realms can work and some can't."

Yes, I think there are different servers for different time zones and parts of the world, and not all servers were attacked at once. Isn't that what I've been saying?

"STILL it wont affect the game if 3 servers are gone -> People wont be able to join those realms/servers."

Again that's what I and some others have been saying: That although some players may have been able to play as normal, many could not get in at all. Also that for some the denial of service i.e. not being able to get into the game and/or play as normal (leave the zone they were in for instance, Marleybone town square, or the Wizard City Commons, whatever), was much more frequent than for others.

So how did that not "affect the game" for those players?! At first -- again if you look at the twitter feed during those times -- it seemed pretty uniform and complete, and widespread.

"That's all, a ddos attack wont make some people not able to play in 1 week,"

Yes it can and did. Obviously people cannot sit trying to get into their game 24/7 for a whole week, but, if every time they try, it's a complete denial of entry, that's "unable to play for one week." It wasn't just normal server updates. We know the difference and it's fairly insulting of those who continue to insist we don't. Those are told us and are typically between 3 and 5 AM or something like that. This was completely different.

"that would more likely mean you're blacklisted from the server or you yourself got ddosed attacked."

I'm not banned. Thousands of people?
"That's all, a ddos attack wont make some people not able to play in 1 week,".

Yes it can and did. Obviously people cannot sit trying to get into their game 24/7 for a whole week, but, if every time they try, it's a complete denial of entry, that's "unable to play for one week."

Dang dude, search on what an ddos attack is, then pls search it up how it is made, i feel like an jerk right now, but lit, pls at least know what it is before you comment dummy stuff. Thank you!

Search on YT what it is, how it's done, what can you do to stop one and how long can one be.
Then after that search on, what happens to people when my server gets ddosed, will everyone have access on the same time or WILL only I?

Regards
Arti

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
Freshta on Oct 3, 2017 wrote:
Hi Arti,

I appreciate that you're trying to write in a second language, and that you gave an accurate description of how DDOS attacks work. However, it seems you didn't experience the full brunt of the attacks in the same way that people in the United States did. Perhaps that is because the European servers were affected differently and at different times of the day than the USA ones.

The attacks began on 30 Aug and continued, intermittently, for two weeks.

With each attack, many people who were were playing were suddenly kicked off the servers and then unable to log back in at all. For hours. Others were kicked off, but could log back in after trying a couple of times. Unfortunately, they could only play for 10-15 minutes before getting kicked off again. Those of us who would get kicked off for long periods of time tended to be north and west of Texas, most especially on the West Coast of the US (Californian, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, etc.) People who could log back in fairly quickly were on the East Coast of the USA.

There's a very long thread of 750 posts on this very board, where you can hear from all of the various people who were unable to log in and how the DDOS attacks affected them.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/game-not-loading-8ad6a42b5e0e26ba015e35c7642f3707?page=1

The thread runs from 30 August through 4 Sep, when the attacks were at their worst. On 9 Sept another wave of attacks hit, and the thread continues through 12 Sep, when Dworgyn locked it. That's two weeks of attacks. For you to say in your first point that there was "only one attack" is inaccurate.

Alia Misthaven
PS: Your writing was mostly correct, with very minor mistakes here and there.
Hi Alia/Freshta,

Just wanted to say thanks since you understood my post some how "Eks Dee".

And yea i tried to say it in a good way since i'm not very good at speaking English (neither write).
and yes, i know about the different servers but i didn't think more about it, though most people wouldn't even understand what i would be talking about, since most people here actually aren't into coding etc...they're players and they're enjoying this game.

I dont wanna start some dang drama just because i can't write everything in a good way + just wanna point this out, i came back to Wiz after 5 years, just in the beginning of Aug and then i quit after 2 weeks cuz i got my Storm maxed (This is a new account (since i forgot my old account information :D) so don't go and say "DUDE YOU'RE NEW TO THE GAME, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED 5 YEARS ROFL"...........brain pls.)

Now i'm back to Wiz the last week (2 weeks perhaps) of September, so i dont know anything more about the ddos attacks that you've gotten hit by.

Under the first week of September a friend asked my to login onto W101 to see if i had login problems like her, i didn't have it but she had it (she lives in Aus). So i thought there might have been some server problems, until i found it there was a ddos attack later on that day.

Dunno really about how many servers wiz have, but since there's a really good amount of players mostly at least around 100 servers to make it run this smoothly.

Woah dont know what to say anymore, i have no words and dont know what to write.
Sorry for the inconvenience, going back to my Linux project now!

Cya Folks

PS: Dont wanna correct the grammar or the text, just saying so dont blame me for being dead -.-

Regards
Arti

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
Articuz on Oct 3, 2017 wrote:
"That's all, a ddos attack wont make some people not able to play in 1 week,".

Yes it can and did. Obviously people cannot sit trying to get into their game 24/7 for a whole week, but, if every time they try, it's a complete denial of entry, that's "unable to play for one week."

Dang dude, search on what an ddos attack is, then pls search it up how it is made, i feel like an jerk right now, but lit, pls at least know what it is before you comment dummy stuff. Thank you!

Search on YT what it is, how it's done, what can you do to stop one and how long can one be.
Then after that search on, what happens to people when my server gets ddosed, will everyone have access on the same time or WILL only I?

Regards
Arti
Arti --

Maybe the language barrier is in effect here. I am trying very hard to be tactful despite your tone seeming very rude and mocking, to me.

The issue for me is that you refuse to believe my personal experience, based solely upon your own personal experience and your conjecture.

I may not have the technical language down (another language barrier actually, so we each have one -- yours because you are ESL and mine because I am illiterate on technical language) but it was a bot attack, bot net or whatever bot, it was not humans sitting there doing this manually each attack. They set up a DDOS can we agree upon that?

Please read Freshta/Alia's explanation, I have a feeling she says it in a way you will accept.

At times as she said people could get in very briefly but then they couldn't move or were kicked out again or whatever. No one wants to be fighting a dungeon or boss when that happens.

The experience of everyone I spoke with (more than once in real time, since I know some players in other zones and can speak to them outside of the game), or read online, said that even if they got in they could not go anywhere else than where they logged in to. Or after a few minutes their game crashed again.

Whether you believe in it or not, that was what happened. That was reality for many many players.

If you wish to explain technical things to someone, talking to them in a tone that is condescending rarely helps.

Hope you will enjoy your game.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
SparkleTude on Oct 4, 2017 wrote:
Arti --

Maybe the language barrier is in effect here. I am trying very hard to be tactful despite your tone seeming very rude and mocking, to me.

The issue for me is that you refuse to believe my personal experience, based solely upon your own personal experience and your conjecture.

I may not have the technical language down (another language barrier actually, so we each have one -- yours because you are ESL and mine because I am illiterate on technical language) but it was a bot attack, bot net or whatever bot, it was not humans sitting there doing this manually each attack. They set up a DDOS can we agree upon that?

Please read Freshta/Alia's explanation, I have a feeling she says it in a way you will accept.

At times as she said people could get in very briefly but then they couldn't move or were kicked out again or whatever. No one wants to be fighting a dungeon or boss when that happens.

The experience of everyone I spoke with (more than once in real time, since I know some players in other zones and can speak to them outside of the game), or read online, said that even if they got in they could not go anywhere else than where they logged in to. Or after a few minutes their game crashed again.

Whether you believe in it or not, that was what happened. That was reality for many many players.

If you wish to explain technical things to someone, talking to them in a tone that is condescending rarely helps.

Hope you will enjoy your game.
Sorry for being rude, already had bad day, needed to reinstall my os to get W101 work with Linux, got some graphical issues so yea, gott control myself :(

I know what a bot it is and there's a difference between a bot and botnet, if it was allowed to link botnets i would have given you a site so you could test it out on a personal server (educational purpose). You probably would understand how it works 1000% more then what you do atm.

Btw, i've already accepted both of your explanations :P.

Though in my opinion, to get all servers and ddos etch one of them is pretty impossible (well nothing is impossible), so we can say for sure, it's not one person but more then 6 persons at least who took down these servers (or at least a large group).

Why?
Because...

So let's say each of them can do 3 con attacks each with 50/gbps. That will say, around 150/gbps on these 3 attacks per person.
.
This means that they could at least take down 18 servers under 1hr if they had 6 ppl who attacked on the same time (all they need to take down a server for 1day).

Now here's the most impossible thing!
That they could run these attacks under one week everyday, why?

1.They would need the entire Liquid group.
2. They would need to code a checker (ez m8) that will check whenever the attack period is out and to make it auto attack everytime the attack has been stopped, pretty hard if they dont have API to the dox servers.

So my answer to this is, after the first ddos attack, the server(s) got problems (even after some restarts) that made people get kicked out, either because of the large amount of the attack, that made them not able to have the large amount of people online, it means they would be kicked whenever they tried to walk etc, OR because of the highly amount of players that tried to connenct to the servers at the same time -> FROM the launcher.

Aweee i suck hard :( forgot what i wre going to write so i just bs my through this :(

Regards
Arti

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
Articuz on Oct 5, 2017 wrote:
Sorry for being rude, already had bad day, needed to reinstall my os to get W101 work with Linux, got some graphical issues so yea, gott control myself :(

I know what a bot it is and there's a difference between a bot and botnet, if it was allowed to link botnets i would have given you a site so you could test it out on a personal server (educational purpose). You probably would understand how it works 1000% more then what you do atm.

Btw, i've already accepted both of your explanations :P.

Though in my opinion, to get all servers and ddos etch one of them is pretty impossible (well nothing is impossible), so we can say for sure, it's not one person but more then 6 persons at least who took down these servers (or at least a large group).

Why?
Because...

So let's say each of them can do 3 con attacks each with 50/gbps. That will say, around 150/gbps on these 3 attacks per person.
.
This means that they could at least take down 18 servers under 1hr if they had 6 ppl who attacked on the same time (all they need to take down a server for 1day).

Now here's the most impossible thing!
That they could run these attacks under one week everyday, why?

1.They would need the entire Liquid group.
2. They would need to code a checker (ez m8) that will check whenever the attack period is out and to make it auto attack everytime the attack has been stopped, pretty hard if they dont have API to the dox servers.

So my answer to this is, after the first ddos attack, the server(s) got problems (even after some restarts) that made people get kicked out, either because of the large amount of the attack, that made them not able to have the large amount of people online, it means they would be kicked whenever they tried to walk etc, OR because of the highly amount of players that tried to connenct to the servers at the same time -> FROM the launcher.

Aweee i suck hard :( forgot what i wre going to write so i just bs my through this :(

Regards
Arti
Hi Arti,

A tip about Americans: we tend to be a delicate bunch, all about "please" and "thank you" and making our words soft so we don't upset others. I know people in other cultures are much more straightforward, so from your point of view, it must seem that Americans get easily offended. Thank you for understanding.

Now, as to the attacks.

You may be correct that more than one person was involved. There was a group of people who claimed responsibility, so probably 2 or 3 people at minimum carried this off. Maybe more.

These waves came during a time when W101 was already experiencing heavy traffic (their birthday celebration, with many benefits such as pet training and gardening rewards); and it was a holiday weekend in the USA, leaving W101 with minimal staff at work when the attacks were going at their worst. So just 3 or 4 days of concentrated attacks were all these people needed to really wreck things for players.

Many businesses are unprepared for DDOS attacks and don't set up their networks to distribute traffic across broad areas. All it takes is one weak point or bottleneck to throttle everything. It sounds like the attackers had some insider information and used that. It's also possible they targeted their attacks upstream at servers providing ISP support.

One final thing to keep in mind is that the Internet of Things definitely plays a role in DDOS attacks these days. As you might imagine, that can increase the intensity of incoming traffic to a very overwhelming degree.

Since Sept, the staff at W101 has done what they can to make themselves more resistant to attack.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1442
It's OK Articuz, we speak two different languages, English and Swedish, and two different technical languages also: (you) technically proficient and (me) technically illiterate.

I was only trying to explain the attack in a way that other laypersons such as myself would understand it. My main purpose in that was to reassure people that it was not a human hacker doing this, as far as we know; so their personal info should be safe. What happened, as told by those online, was that some found out the game's IP (server IP, they said), and sent a bot attack on it.

So in other words, all us laypersons really wanted to know was that our personal info should be safe, it was a scripted attack set up to keep the server too busy to let us on it.

Enjoy your game and your day I hope, and let's shake hands on it.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2016
16
SparkleTude on Oct 5, 2017 wrote:
It's OK Articuz, we speak two different languages, English and Swedish, and two different technical languages also: (you) technically proficient and (me) technically illiterate.

I was only trying to explain the attack in a way that other laypersons such as myself would understand it. My main purpose in that was to reassure people that it was not a human hacker doing this, as far as we know; so their personal info should be safe. What happened, as told by those online, was that some found out the game's IP (server IP, they said), and sent a bot attack on it.

So in other words, all us laypersons really wanted to know was that our personal info should be safe, it was a scripted attack set up to keep the server too busy to let us on it.

Enjoy your game and your day I hope, and let's shake hands on it.
Aw, i do understand you got prob a little mad cuz of my attitude, #feelsbadman, #idounderstand and it's okay, i understand what you were trying to do and honestly my fault starting drama cuz i got a little triggered.

Love ya, and Freshta <3 :P

Regards
Arti

2