Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Failure

1
AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
What is the point of having critical gear with over 400 boost when it means 0 chance of getting one? For hours tonight have been farming Loremaster. I have 402 critical. It hits in maybe 10% of battles, not attacks. I mean 1 in 10 BATTLES. I could understand that possibly happening by bad luck IF 400 means 40% chance. But having it not show in barely any attacks for hours and days on end with 400 boost? Something has to wrong with that. It's never been a real issue in the past. But lately it's never hitting. Did they nerf it making it pointless to wear critical gear?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
I have a death with 462 critical rating, as well as a balance with around 430, and I frequently have battles where there I cannot achieve a critical hit. That really is a bit odd. Maybe just paranoia, but sometimes, I wonder if certain bosses and enemies have modifiers that change character stats without it being known to us.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
169
Critical has been pretty much useless in boss fights for the last 3 worlds. Just like you can't stun them either.
If you hit critical every time, we would be wiping out anything and everything in just about every round. IMO it is KI's way of keeping wizards from overpowering the bosses with just a single hit in every battle without the use of blades or traps. Evens out the playing field so to speak.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
114
Just bad luck. I have a storm with 91% accuracy and one night every other attack i fizzled. It went on for hours. I lost a ton of rank because of it.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2011
50
When I see I dont critical few times in a row, or sometimes days, I try to force it a bit using vengeance. Sometimes I even thought that when you change gear the stats needs to accommodate a bit or lets say 'to settle', or maybe no changing your gear very often.

At the end only thing i do is the aura thing, cause I change everyday with energy gear and can't complain of the times i hit critical and no blocked critical.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
OldStormWizard on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
Critical has been pretty much useless in boss fights for the last 3 worlds. Just like you can't stun them either.
If you hit critical every time, we would be wiping out anything and everything in just about every round. IMO it is KI's way of keeping wizards from overpowering the bosses with just a single hit in every battle without the use of blades or traps. Evens out the playing field so to speak.
But if we're supposed to have a level playing field, why even have gear that suggests you should be stronger than your enemies? Why not just make it so you're automatically as strong as the boss you're facing?

Note, we're not talking about getting past blocks. We're talking about just getting the critical animation. If you have a 90% chance of seeing that animation, and you don't see it happen for a few battles, you know something's wrong. If the critical chance is accurately portrayed in our stats, it shouldn't work out that way.

Similarly, if you see that there's 90% chance of rain in the forecast, obviously you expect rain and bring an umbrella. You'd be foolish not to 9 times out of 10. The same logic applies here. When we're talking about percentages of 90% and above, we tend to stop talking about the chance that something might not happen. It's pretty much going to happen.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Lucas Rain on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
I have a death with 462 critical rating, as well as a balance with around 430, and I frequently have battles where there I cannot achieve a critical hit. That really is a bit odd. Maybe just paranoia, but sometimes, I wonder if certain bosses and enemies have modifiers that change character stats without it being known to us.
That's my thought as well, this isn't a boss with any resist though. It's Loremaster. Every critical that hits always goes through. She never resists it. It just seems that fizzles and not getting critical are skewed in this instance sometimes. Fizzling every other round with 94% accuracy, wands and blades fizzling without charms, repeated hours of battle where critical never happens even with high stats.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
I totally agree with you. Both critical, and block critical, need to be fixed. They have become basically meaningless, useless parts of the game. The frequency of critical is odd, as you mention. Then even if you get a critical, the chances of it landing are again next to nil, since all the enemies seem to have insane block critical built in.

Used to be, critical was an exciting bonus to the game. Now, not so much.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
So uhm critical problems, My Storm has 508 critical rate, 93% chance to critical I think (thats without the razor in PvP and the divine amulet) and I critical around, 95% of the time, and when I do, Nothing stops me, I land on all bosses and minions, there is a occasional block, but only from Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus, no other boss has blocked me frequently, It's been either they don't block me at all, or they block me once. I say critical rates have to go a lot with the rank of the spell, and the school.

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
598
I'm glad people are starting to realize this. It is pretty much a waste to chase crit. The higher you level, the less good it does you. Forget about it. Go for resist, damage, and block.

Critical is "exciting" but ineffective against most bosses..

Survivor
Jun 15, 2013
37
guys this is how critical works.

it doesn't matter how high you got your critical rating to actually hit critical.
the rating is how many more times your hit will do. critical rating has nothing to do
with critical chances

talon shadowwraith lvl 63

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
master of death o on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
guys this is how critical works.

it doesn't matter how high you got your critical rating to actually hit critical.
the rating is how many more times your hit will do. critical rating has nothing to do
with critical chances

talon shadowwraith lvl 63
That's totally false. Critical damage is ALWAYS doubled, it has nothing to do with rating.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
Master of Death O, You could not be more wrong, Not only does critical rate increase the chance of causing a critical, it increases the chance of the enemy not blocking, and once again, saying that Critical is useless is wrong, as a Storm who solo'd Azteca I found it useful, VERY USEFUL. I did Storm Lord (7,000 damage at least) and then a Storm Owl a few rounds later, With just one Storm Blade, one Element Blade, Galvanic Field, and the Children of the Sea Medallion Hex, I did 21,000 because he didn't block. If you know how to set your gear correctly, you'll do very well in the game.

Defender
Oct 27, 2009
111
Even if critical hits are blocked, it is not useless. Critical HEAL! Vengeance does help too. Just from what I've experienced, when it happens, it is often on a heal, a wand spell, or on an attack which had not been buffed. I do have it happen on hits too, just wish they wouldn't block it so very often.
Side note to the one who said you can't stun in boss fights in the last 3 worlds, not so. True, many bosses are immune to stun, but not every boss. There are a number of them in Avalon and Azteca where a frost giant or mammoth, will stun the boss just fine. It is always a pleasant surprise to run across the ones it works on.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
Gemma Luna on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
I'm glad people are starting to realize this. It is pretty much a waste to chase crit. The higher you level, the less good it does you. Forget about it. Go for resist, damage, and block.

Critical is "exciting" but ineffective against most bosses..
^^^
this.

After level 50, you are much better off with high resist and block than critical. Let me tell you, I've seen stats on people in Khrysalis that make me wonder how they ever made it there: without resist and block, you won't last long enough to possibly get that elusive critical.

My storm wizard's critical rating is only 156. Very low odds. But she has 30% universal resist (which, for those who are unfamiliar with the school, is high for storm) and 175 block across the board, so chances are she will live much longer than someone with a high critical rating (unless that person is a life wizard and criticals on every heal).

-von
95 bal, 90 death,89 storm, 63 life, 40 myth/ice and 23 fire

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Dr Von on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
^^^
this.

After level 50, you are much better off with high resist and block than critical. Let me tell you, I've seen stats on people in Khrysalis that make me wonder how they ever made it there: without resist and block, you won't last long enough to possibly get that elusive critical.

My storm wizard's critical rating is only 156. Very low odds. But she has 30% universal resist (which, for those who are unfamiliar with the school, is high for storm) and 175 block across the board, so chances are she will live much longer than someone with a high critical rating (unless that person is a life wizard and criticals on every heal).

-von
95 bal, 90 death,89 storm, 63 life, 40 myth/ice and 23 fire
You can have both. My storm has 399 critical with 81 damage and 43 universal resist. Hades gear and a good pet.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
Dr Von on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
^^^
this.

After level 50, you are much better off with high resist and block than critical. Let me tell you, I've seen stats on people in Khrysalis that make me wonder how they ever made it there: without resist and block, you won't last long enough to possibly get that elusive critical.

My storm wizard's critical rating is only 156. Very low odds. But she has 30% universal resist (which, for those who are unfamiliar with the school, is high for storm) and 175 block across the board, so chances are she will live much longer than someone with a high critical rating (unless that person is a life wizard and criticals on every heal).

-von
95 bal, 90 death,89 storm, 63 life, 40 myth/ice and 23 fire
I guess there's different ways to play any school, As for my storm, I kill anything within 7,500 damage in 2 rounds, Blade+blade/galvanic=Win
With 500+ critical it's pretty easy :) And I also use a Small Deck, All I bring with me is 2 storm lords, a tempest, 2 blades, one sharpened blade, 2 galvanic fields

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
658
seethe42 on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
You can have both. My storm has 399 critical with 81 damage and 43 universal resist. Hades gear and a good pet.
That is actually less effective than no crit and more damage boost.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Prince of Shadows on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
That is actually less effective than no crit and more damage boost.
No it's not. Doing double damage about 80% of the time with +81 damage is far more effective than having no critical and over +100 damage. It's far more effective to do lots of damage all the time and mostly double than it is to do lots of damage and never double.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
MiguelThefirst on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
I guess there's different ways to play any school, As for my storm, I kill anything within 7,500 damage in 2 rounds, Blade+blade/galvanic=Win
With 500+ critical it's pretty easy :) And I also use a Small Deck, All I bring with me is 2 storm lords, a tempest, 2 blades, one sharpened blade, 2 galvanic fields
I like how everyone assumes my little storm wizard is level 90. Yes, I'm awesome, and I have 2 other prometheans... but that doesn't mean all of my wizards automatically bypass everyone and start at level 90.

My storm wizard has a combo of ww/Avalon crafted gear, since she's not level 90 and, therefore, can't do Tartarus yet. I've looked at the Azteca gear as well and, unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure it's just as much of a waste of time to craft as the Avalon set (apart from the boots) was.

I carry about 8 cards at any given time:

2 stormblade
2 sharpened
1 colossal
1 storm lord or tempest
1 reshuffle

This is my base setup for mobs. For bosses, I put in a colossal Levy or Storm Owl, some heals, shields, and stun blocks (if they're needed). I also have a pet blade and amulet blade in my sideboard, as well as a pet with MC Balanceblade).

There's more than one way to play a wizard. But I must say that I really don't care for critical, since everything upwards of CL has seemingly-infinite capacity for block... ergo, hoping for crit is really not something I care to waste time on. Besides, my damage boost is, like, 86... I don't *need* critical.



-von

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
Dr Von on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
I like how everyone assumes my little storm wizard is level 90. Yes, I'm awesome, and I have 2 other prometheans... but that doesn't mean all of my wizards automatically bypass everyone and start at level 90.

My storm wizard has a combo of ww/Avalon crafted gear, since she's not level 90 and, therefore, can't do Tartarus yet. I've looked at the Azteca gear as well and, unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure it's just as much of a waste of time to craft as the Avalon set (apart from the boots) was.

I carry about 8 cards at any given time:

2 stormblade
2 sharpened
1 colossal
1 storm lord or tempest
1 reshuffle

This is my base setup for mobs. For bosses, I put in a colossal Levy or Storm Owl, some heals, shields, and stun blocks (if they're needed). I also have a pet blade and amulet blade in my sideboard, as well as a pet with MC Balanceblade).

There's more than one way to play a wizard. But I must say that I really don't care for critical, since everything upwards of CL has seemingly-infinite capacity for block... ergo, hoping for crit is really not something I care to waste time on. Besides, my damage boost is, like, 86... I don't *need* critical.



-von
We both have different setups, I don't *need* Critical either, but mine just makes it so easy, even when I had crafted gear, I never used the crafted storm hat of Azteca, The Woodland Tribal Hood is better, The storm robe is next, Heavy Rain Boots, and WInged Deliverance was my previous combo, Good block, Good resist, Good all around, I had about 97 damage, with almost 25 resist to all schools, almost 90 block, and about 380 critical rate, they wouldn't stop me in Azteca, Then when I got Hades, it just went up from there :)

Historian
Aug 18, 2011
658
seethe42 on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
No it's not. Doing double damage about 80% of the time with +81 damage is far more effective than having no critical and over +100 damage. It's far more effective to do lots of damage all the time and mostly double than it is to do lots of damage and never double.
You don't double it most of the time unless you are fighting things with no block. Your double 81 is only a little more than "old school" low crit 124 to 134 damage, but that can't be blocked, and is fizz proof.

You started this thread as a complaint about fizzing, and critical failure - the topic title. My suggestion is to not rely on crit. I see a lot of high levels running around with massive crit numbers, but getting killed when they get blocked & come up short. Crit is fun, but it isn't the most reliable battle strategy. If you enjoy it, super, but if it isn't working well for you, try something else.

Best of luck.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4120
Prince of Shadows on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
You don't double it most of the time unless you are fighting things with no block. Your double 81 is only a little more than "old school" low crit 124 to 134 damage, but that can't be blocked, and is fizz proof.

You started this thread as a complaint about fizzing, and critical failure - the topic title. My suggestion is to not rely on crit. I see a lot of high levels running around with massive crit numbers, but getting killed when they get blocked & come up short. Crit is fun, but it isn't the most reliable battle strategy. If you enjoy it, super, but if it isn't working well for you, try something else.

Best of luck.
I started the thread because of it failing in certain instances. It actually doesn't fail much at all in PvP or in Khrysalis. It fails inordinately while doing certain things like Loremaster. How are you getting 124-134 damage, that's well above the average damage of most storm I've seen. What gear setup? I'd really like to see what setup you have that is fizz proof and gives 134 damage.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
MiguelThefirst on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
We both have different setups, I don't *need* Critical either, but mine just makes it so easy, even when I had crafted gear, I never used the crafted storm hat of Azteca, The Woodland Tribal Hood is better, The storm robe is next, Heavy Rain Boots, and WInged Deliverance was my previous combo, Good block, Good resist, Good all around, I had about 97 damage, with almost 25 resist to all schools, almost 90 block, and about 380 critical rate, they wouldn't stop me in Azteca, Then when I got Hades, it just went up from there :)
Right now, my stats aren't too different from yours.

3015 health
455 mana

86% damage
30% universal resist (or 26, depending on pet)
24% accuracy boost (or 31, depending on pet)
156 critical
171 universal block
12% incoming heal

gear

skyscream hood/cape
eloquent sandals (avalon crafted)
greenwarden's peaceful staff (level 80+ version, found it kicking around in my bank)
bear's claw of storm
storm owl's terror ring
shango's stormblade amulet
storm sun gallery

pets

therizinosaurus with storm sniper, pain giver, and fairy
damp demon with defy, pain giver, and may cast balanceblade, gives one balanceblade item card.

if i ever get my hades set (and that's a big if, since my first wizard has run tartarus about 40 times and only gotten her boots), that would be pretty sweet. but i'd like to get the gear for my other 2 prometheans first.

-v.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
191
Prince of Shadows on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
You don't double it most of the time unless you are fighting things with no block. Your double 81 is only a little more than "old school" low crit 124 to 134 damage, but that can't be blocked, and is fizz proof.

You started this thread as a complaint about fizzing, and critical failure - the topic title. My suggestion is to not rely on crit. I see a lot of high levels running around with massive crit numbers, but getting killed when they get blocked & come up short. Crit is fun, but it isn't the most reliable battle strategy. If you enjoy it, super, but if it isn't working well for you, try something else.

Best of luck.
Your forgetting to mention the schools that are actually meant to have massive critical (Storm) My storm is not blocked by Hades, Zeus, or Poseidon, For some reason the Death Minotaur does block him about 40% of the time, but my storms 96% damage still does about 25,000 by the 4th or 5th round (3rd round if my team is good) I have a pet I haven't trained because I stopped to train another, But on Test Realm he got damage, and my damage will hit 102% So not only is my damage naturally doubled when 100% (which I can reach with the sacrifice of 60 critical which isn't worth it) The critical doubles it over again, People seeing how Storm can pull off all these massive damages with their critical are trying to immatate that, but if you can't make your critical above 500 and you are NOT storm, Don't bother trying, Especially if you are Death, Every school for some reason seems to block my death even when he has 540 rate, So now I run my Death with 170 death critical rate, (105 Universal) 187 universal block, with 250 on Myth and 254 on Life, The reason the critical is low is because his healing boost is 29% In, 75% Out, The reason I can keep my healing boost and not worry about my blades is because I have a Exalted Balance amulet, so I use Availing hands which do at least 500 every round, and a pet with Pixie and Spritely, But I change my gear accordingly to what I am fighting, that is my gear for Hades fight because I get 50 Storm Resist, 37 Death, and 18 Universal (I could add 10 to all of those but my pet wont have Pixie) When In combat gear I have 322 Crit, 202 Block, and this set up works on a lot of mobs, even bosses, But I know for certain my Storm CAN (Doesn't mean he always does) land critical, but I don't try on my Death because it just doesn't seem or feel right to do so, I think it's more set up for Storm, Myth, Fire and Ice to critical on enemies/bosses then other schools.

1