Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can we add LIMITS to fighting the kracken?

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jan 23, 2009
I started a new wiz that had to complete that quests. And it took me all day!

One there always seem to be a bunch of kids who are farming it on EVERY realms and I quite litterally had to go from realm to realm to find one that had room.

The same kids would fight it and wait for someone to some and fight again. And no matter how long you wait they are there. They if by chance you get a spot you have play while they run around on the circle. I love to farm and I don't mind that. But if you put a daily limit on it at least for THAT task then new wizards who simply want to complete their task and move on can do it and go.

It seems to be the only one like that as it easy and part of the free member zone. So it is a free member hot spot. Not trying to wreck the party but come on. After three times a day you can move on to another boss to kill and make room.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I had that same trouble. So I fought it with the crowd but kept an eye on it at odd times of the day/night until I got a chance to fight it alone.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Sojourna wrote:
I started a new wiz that had to complete that quests. And it took me all day!

One there always seem to be a bunch of kids who are farming it on EVERY realms and I quite litterally had to go from realm to realm to find one that had room.

The same kids would fight it and wait for someone to some and fight again. And no matter how long you wait they are there. They if by chance you get a spot you have play while they run around on the circle. I love to farm and I don't mind that. But if you put a daily limit on it at least for THAT task then new wizards who simply want to complete their task and move on can do it and go.

It seems to be the only one like that as it easy and part of the free member zone. So it is a free member hot spot. Not trying to wreck the party but come on. After three times a day you can move on to another boss to kill and make room.

I couldn't agree with you more!

I posted something similar about this topic weeks ago. You can read that post here:

https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/5996.ftl#29435

No one from KI responded though, so good luck

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
This seems to be an ongoing problem area in the game. I know that my son and his friend (who doesn't have a subscription) like to fight the Krakken themselves just to hang out in the game together. I made it very clear to them why they needed to find a different area to battle in since I have experienced the same problem with one of my alternative wizards and had to deal with some really rude behavior when I asked them to please let someone who needed to do the quest have a chance to battle. Personally, I like the idea of making them have to leave the area via the teleporter pad and come back before they can battle again and if they could find a way to make that area a first come first served, that would be amazing, but prolly too hard for them to do in this game.

Defender
Apr 25, 2009
The Kraken is the last boss before you have to pay for the game, and also is easily accessible. The fact that there's other players that farm it adds to its popularity, since that means that three other people will almost always be there to help you. Hence the crowd.

Just go to a different realm or area (I've had more luck changing areas), I've done my share of farming the Kraken, it's not that hard to get a spot.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
I think a screen could pop up and say two different things

farming

mission

there would be different
rooms so just enough people could come in then the farming people are out of the way of the mission people.

Defender
Nov 05, 2008
Blazian wrote:
The Kraken is the last boss before you have to pay for the game, and also is easily accessible. The fact that there's other players that farm it adds to its popularity, since that means that three other people will almost always be there to help you. Hence the crowd.

Just go to a different realm or area (I've had more luck changing areas), I've done my share of farming the Kraken, it's not that hard to get a spot.

did you read the first post they did switch realms and could not find free space. i admit it i like to farmthere to but i beleave in a limit may be not three times for the day, but three times every two hours so as to give others a chance.

Defender
Aug 01, 2008
I just finished that quest with a new character I created and yes, it is worse than I remember. Packs of people camped out there, battle after battle. As someone mentioned, it being the last free battle before getting a subscription and it being so public seem to be the two big drawing factors.

Although I'm sure they won't do it, but it KI could simply add another public arena not tied to any quest but just for public showing off, that might help. Especially if the boss in that arena were changed periodically.

Defender
May 06, 2009
Actually, I like the idea:

If there are four people down on the island already, open a new instance (one that won't be visible from the street level). Once you kill the kraken in your instance, that's it. You have to port out and back.

I think that it's cool that it's visible for all to see -- and there is an area in the Krokosphinx that has this same issue but by then everyone is paying, so there is probably a degree of politeness that is missing with the kraken. Likely KI realized this was an issue and has taken steps, both to put bosses deep inside of towers but also to make it so some towers can't be ported to (DragonSpyre, I'm looking at you!)

What would be neat is to have some sort of arena NOT part of a quest that people could do just what they are doing now. Maybe someplace with random spawns from all over wizard city?

Defender
May 15, 2009
Modify the "start fight" routine make the players on the object quest (Kraken) have priority over those who do not; this way, farmers will never trump questers.

(I had to do it at 3 a.m. on a "school night" for a minimal wait.)

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Getting in to fight the Kraken CAN be really annoying. Been there done that. :)

What I did (and it worked most of the time), was go stand in the middle of the battle area, about halfway between the Kraken and the players (actually, stand a little closer to the players, not exactly in the middle). When the Kraken is defeated, start spinning in circles. When the Kraken is again activated, it should pull you right in to the battle. Yes, people complain that having others in the middle during a battle is annoying. However, in this case you have to do what you have to do to get in the fight and complete your quest. Most of the people in there are just farming anyway, so they can get over it. :)

Just something to try until a solution is found.

Cat

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Yes, I had the same problem when I needed to kill the Kraken for advancement, it took me almost 45 minutes to make it into a battle. I have two suggestions that may help.

1. Put the Kraken in a instance, That way anyone that wanted it (and earned access) could farm it all day long without interrupting anyone's progression.

2. Make all of Wizard City free play, this way there will be dozens of bosses available to fight, many of whom are in instances.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
i feel the kraken should have an entrance like a dungeon where only four at a time can enter

that way people can farm all they want and nobody is in the way

Survivor
May 28, 2009
Is there nothing that can be done? Any time my daughter or one of her friends that plays makes a new character, they get to this quest and the battle to get into the battle begins -- this is very painful!

We're paid subscribers, I could just tell them to move on, but they like to do ALL the quests, and they should be able to!

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
There is one spot in mooshu the same thing happens, kids have to farm and if you need to kill the guy your farming you get cussed at told to get lost or worse. I have complained till I'm tired of saying anything, all the reports of them saying what they do while farming doesn't seem to do anything.

My best suggestion is keep trying. I know it's not easy but not everyone will be nice enough to let you work on your quest without a hassle. I have been known to stay till they leave, took everything I had not to lower myself to their behavior but I'm an adult and they are teens. The parents of those teens should be made to sit through their behavior for a couple of hours, oh god take them away from their soaps and sports on the tube! This game is NOT a baby sitter, even some teens still need one of those, but today's parents don't care to take the time to spend time with them, much easier to let the world do their job.

Defender
Jul 01, 2008
Whenever someone uses the teleporter or is a new person comes in (after a Kraken battle) usually the battle restarts. This is how I see it.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
I too was on an alt wizzard and ran into the problem of farming. The same group of people were on it for 30 minutes in a group so it was impossible for anyone but them to get into it since when in group it reserves the other spots for a short time for the others in the group.

I asked them if they wouldn't mind letting some others in for one round so those who needed to complete the quest could and I was given some very rude responses. It took me 7 different realm changes before I found an area that my kids and I could get the quest finished.

Why not make this quest just like all the other bosses in WC and put that one in an instance so that doesn't happen?

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
CorrellonBloodstorm wrote:
Yes, I had the same problem when I needed to kill the Kraken for advancement, it took me almost 45 minutes to make it into a battle. I have two suggestions that may help.

1. Put the Kraken in a instance, That way anyone that wanted it (and earned access) could farm it all day long without interrupting anyone's progression.

2. Make all of Wizard City free play, this way there will be dozens of bosses available to fight, many of whom are in instances.

if they make WC a free world KI would make a lot less money and that pays for stuff in the game

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
Wizard City is a small part of the game compared to the other worlds. Even as a subscriber, I'd prefer if Wizard City was a free world.

Also, last I checked, the Kraken isn't actually the last boss in Triton Avenue. There's an instance tower up the street from the mill with a boss in it. But whenever I or anyone suggest going to farm THAT one, we get yelled at that Kraken is easier, so there you go.