Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bugs x10!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 17, 2008
I have come across tons of bugs, and all in the same week.
As much as I hope that each time W101 goes offline for maintenance they are about to put Celestia online, now I'm really hoping they are trying to improve the general gameplay for all of us wizards in general.
I have looked through the known bugs and only one of the bugs I have encountered has been listed there, and it is the wooden table not being able to be placed in many houses, obviously including all three of mine.
But I will list the other bugs/glitches I've seen on here, as the two or so lines you are given to report a bug on the bottom of the known bugs page just isn't enough in my opinion. If any of you have also came across any of these, please post your experiences here, I'd love to know I'm not the only one.
Also please note that we have two pcs in our house and one mac that all run this game. My brother plays too and on all of these computers in addition to my brother's account we have both seen these bugs so its not just a bad computer or one account or a need to re-download the game.
And yes, I have tried re-downloading the game!
1. A glitch... 15th floor of Big Ben, if you step in a certain spot you are suddenly very high up in the air and everyone can see this because I heard several comments of "WOW!" from down below, and after a minute or two, several comments of the same thing from right next to me. Also know that if you move more than one step in any direction you are suddenly back on the ground.
2. Half of Ravenwood pitch black? Once you walk into the blackness its fine, but other parts then are submerged into the darkness. This doesn't happen all the time, but once it does, I must say its quite annoying when it does happen.
3. Flickering black slashes all over the crown shop. It is possible to see the items on the screen but when you are trying to hire a minion, and lets say you are fire and so is the very powerful creature you are fighting, you'll want a level 50 ice helper, lets say. But when the screen is flashing black and gray you can barely see who's who when you only have a few seconds before it will force you to pass.
This can be immensely frustrating! And well, I don't really know what to do lol.
4. I've also come across this weird yellow thing snake thing going up and out of sight in the commons right in the little circle that you land in when you press the commons button.
Um... Why do I feel like there is more and that is all I can think of right now? Well... lol.
So yeah... :) Feel free to comment whenever. :)

All of these are potential problems with your Video Drivers. Please see this post for information on how to update your Video Drivers:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/19115.ftl

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Defender
Aug 11, 2009
Sometime ago, I along with others reported the bug in Big Ben and supplied pics of it in the bug report. Sorry to hear that it is still with us, but it does not hurt the performance of the game or the battle. Some thought that it is funny and fun - taking pics of their wizards in the air. I did this too!

The reocurring dark areas in Ravenwood are the result of an update to the graphics engine at the time of introduction of the advance pets a few weeks ago. If the link below does not work, search for the following post "Black wall in Ravenwood" for more information. :)

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/21857.ftl

Computers with older graphic cards with updated video drivers will still have problems in Ravenwood and the Commons (with what some call the butterfly). I have found this problem only in those two areas. You are right, it changes each time that you enter those areas and at times it is not visible at all.

The only way to fix this problem is

1) for KI to adjust or modify the graphics engine to accommodate the older graphic cards ,

2) buy a new graphic card for your computer (tough to find for older computers and there may not be any improvement) :|,

3) buy a new computer (a big expense to play a game - especially when the computer works great with other games and other computer programs) , or

4) close your eyes and live with it. :-( :)

As KI expands the game in scope and complexity, the bugs involving older computers and their components will more than likely increase.

I play two wizards at the same time on the same machine. Prior to the update involving the advance pets, the only problem I had was with Hyde Park in Marleybone (where I had to play one wizard in a window and the other in full screen). Since that update, I have to switch to full screen from time-to-time to adjust the graphics because of "slow down". Even when I play just one wizard, there is a slow down with the graphics. This is very noticeable with dragon mounts. It takes a moment for the computer to deal with all of the data and then everything is fine. This is undoubtedly the price that I will have to pay and play as I continue to use my old computer.

And before Zeke repeats himself - yes my divers are up-to-date. Someday I will buy a new computer, but the basement was flooded, the car (which is older than the computer by many years) needs repairs, and food has to be on the table. Someday when the world is filled with dancing flowers, singing animals, rainbows and unicorns, I will buy a new computer. :D

Until then, I will continue to enjoy this game and look forward to the new challenges that it will present. :) :) :)

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
I have the same problems since the advanced pets came live never before. My laptop is around 7-8 years old. Tech help has been wonderful trying to help me troubleshoot the problems. :D

I hope KI will adjust properties on their end. In these tough times a new computer or even a new graphics card are just not in the cards for many people. With all the complaints on these issues it obviously affects many people. People are also being very specific about the problems occurring after the advanced pets came live. Having their game play well for the majority of people is to their benefit.

I have the most recent graphics update for my computer. So I am trying to ignore it. I have noticed it seems to happen most when the servers are very busy.

Megan Frostriver Grandmaster Theurgist
Megan Frostbringer Grandmaster Sorcerer

Explorer
Mar 11, 2010
I have to say that most of the gamers that buy the high end graphic cards and gaming rigs are not going to be playing Wizard101.

The best option, and one that other games have done successfully, is to retain and offer an older version of the game software for those with less than optimal specs.
This includes all the updates as well, but built with lesser specs in mind. Yes, it's labor intensive on the developers, but it certainly allows for far more gamers to buy memberships.
It all evens out there.
You can also offer more in the way of graphic options in the control panel, but there is only so much you can do with that.

It's not all about buying a better graphics card, as the higher you go, the more RAM it takes to operate them. So now we have the cost of the card and also the cost of added RAM.
Generally speaking, very few are going to go on a spending blitz for a fun little pastime like an online game.

That, and you play a game for content far more than you play for graphics.

Defender
Mar 13, 2010
For many of us who now play on laptops (I don't think I will ever again pay money for a desktop), upgrading a graphic card isn't possible.

So far, Wizard101 has been great even on my laptop, all through the upgrades the last few months.

I have upgraded my video driver.

I hope this continues as the game developers move on into new worlds.

I recall that EQ became impossible for many players to continue as they upgraded and expanded. That lost them a lot of customers.

Just letting KI know how grateful I am that I can play well on my laptop and take it with me when I travel.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Historian
Jun 14, 2009
My driver is up to date and I have uninstalled the game and the problem still exist.