Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bought one month membership, don't have text chat.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
I just purchased the one month membership, I thought text chat would be available to members. Or do I literally have to become a year round member to talk to other players in game.

Defender
Apr 18, 2014
Text chat is automatically available to players 13+. If you are a menu chatter and you have made a credit card purchase, try going into your settings on the website. There should be an option to turn it on.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Have you checked your settings? They can be found when you log into the website. You'll need to use the master account if you have set one up. The chat settings available to the account will show.

Text chat is available to anyone over 13 or children under 13 at their parent's discretion (parents can change their chat from menu chat to text chat via the master settings). You do not need to make a purchase to access text chat features.

Open chat is available to anyone over 18, with an account showing as over 18, and have made a card payment directly to KI. Unfortunately due to COPPA legislation some accounts will never be able to access open chat. Gift certificates etc do not count as card verification as the transaction is not directly between the account holder and KI.

Purchasing one month membership is enough to access open chat as long as the above criteria is met; you do not need to purchase a full year. It doesn't matter what you buy as long as it is by debit/credit card directly to KI.

Go into your account on the website (log into the master if you have one) and see if the chat option is available. If it isn't showing it could be that your account is ineligible due to COPPA but you could still contact KI via support to check if that's the case or if it is a mistake.

Unfortunately if the account isn't eligible there is nothing KI can do to change this but hopefully you will find the option has been added when you look in settings.

Good luck!

Defender
May 30, 2010
Auenty on Jul 1, 2018 wrote:
I just purchased the one month membership, I thought text chat would be available to members. Or do I literally have to become a year round member to talk to other players in game.
Looked at your account setting you should be able to change through they unless it has a parent only access. If you wanted open chat which mean you can say numbers and some misspelled stuff, then there are a few requirements.
1. You had to make your account after you were 13 if you were younger you cannot get open chat.
2. Make a purchase through the website (membership or crowns)
If you were not 14 or older when you make the account sadly you only have able for menu chat and text chat (not allow type #)
The account setting is in my account or the first drop down menu option. then go to Parental controls.
If you want open chat (#) then sadly you might have restart your account if it was created before your 14 birthday. Text chat or Filtered Text does not equal open chat