Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bolts, healing current and pip costs!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 11, 2016
Hello all Wizards and KI admins! Thank you for checking this out. I am a long time player of Wizard101, (since 2010) and I have had a couple different accounts throughout the history of the game, having seen the progression of the updates, the functionality of the game, playing as different schools and so on, I felt it just to chime in on some issues that I see are not brought up so much these days.

The (main) issue is, the Wild Bolt spell for the storm school.

I understand this spell has a wild history of criticism and praise alike, to say the least.
Now, having the spell possibly do a mere 10 damage is a bit unfair and ineffective, relative to the pip cost and the drawback of losing buffs; I'll elaborate.

Even when considering the fact that it is a spell meant to be used as a last resort, this tends to do terribly in a game where the common flow of PvE and even PvP is strategy and pattern. It simply is not a practical spell when considering the scope of the entire game. A side note, but nevertheless important one, it is simply annoying to anyone who hits only 10 on a bolt after having blades and traps up.

A way to fix this issue, is to regulate it in a useful, practical, yet fair way.
I have some qualms about healing current as well, but I will get to this later.
Most importantly, the suggestion for fixing the issues aforementioned with wild bolt, is the following -

The spell should have casting chance of 50%, while retaining the pip cost, however, the damages should be,
250, 500, or 1,000.

Essentially, boosting the damage of the first two possible damage outputs to practical amounts and compensating for this by reducing the accuracy of the spell by 20%. The end result is a spell that works half of the time and is at least useful 66.6% of the time that it works, while only being deadly 33.3% of the time.

I am also aware that some enchantments may nullify the takeaway of the spell. My idea to solve this problem, is to make sure that accuracy enchantments do not work on the card and that any accuracy the caster wishes to boost, must be done through charms, like, lightning strike, or star school aura spells. This should be no more complicated than when we put a No PVP symbol on the Polymorph moon spells.

Similarly, healing current should mirror the Wild Bolt spell. A useful, yet regulated healing spell for storm, would be a spell which costs 2 pips to cast, instead of 4. I know Healing Current says 3 pips, but in practical application, will generally eat 4 pips (because most gear allows for high pip chance at higher levels).

So, my suggestion here is to give healing current the exact same odds/percentages as Wild Bolt, at the same pip cost, with the same accuracy enchantment card restriction.

So in conclusion, if these changes are made,
Storm will have two unique, useful spells, which have restraints about them that make things fair. This removes the element of chance a bit and puts the cards within the realm of strategy, more or less. Casting these spells would be like flipping a coin, but when they're successfully cast, taking the chance would have at least been worth it. It is also nicely symmetrical.

Much thanks for reading, please do reply and let me know if you found my suggestions to be useful.
- Seth MoonShade

Administrator
WolfNightShade7 on Jan 28, 2020 wrote:
Hello all Wizards and KI admins! Thank you for checking this out. I am a long time player of Wizard101, (since 2010) and I have had a couple different accounts throughout the history of the game, having seen the progression of the updates, the functionality of the game, playing as different schools and so on, I felt it just to chime in on some issues that I see are not brought up so much these days.

The (main) issue is, the Wild Bolt spell for the storm school.

I understand this spell has a wild history of criticism and praise alike, to say the least.
Now, having the spell possibly do a mere 10 damage is a bit unfair and ineffective, relative to the pip cost and the drawback of losing buffs; I'll elaborate.

Even when considering the fact that it is a spell meant to be used as a last resort, this tends to do terribly in a game where the common flow of PvE and even PvP is strategy and pattern. It simply is not a practical spell when considering the scope of the entire game. A side note, but nevertheless important one, it is simply annoying to anyone who hits only 10 on a bolt after having blades and traps up.

A way to fix this issue, is to regulate it in a useful, practical, yet fair way.
I have some qualms about healing current as well, but I will get to this later.
Most importantly, the suggestion for fixing the issues aforementioned with wild bolt, is the following -

The spell should have casting chance of 50%, while retaining the pip cost, however, the damages should be,
250, 500, or 1,000.

Essentially, boosting the damage of the first two possible damage outputs to practical amounts and compensating for this by reducing the accuracy of the spell by 20%. The end result is a spell that works half of the time and is at least useful 66.6% of the time that it works, while only being deadly 33.3% of the time.

I am also aware that some enchantments may nullify the takeaway of the spell. My idea to solve this problem, is to make sure that accuracy enchantments do not work on the card and that any accuracy the caster wishes to boost, must be done through charms, like, lightning strike, or star school aura spells. This should be no more complicated than when we put a No PVP symbol on the Polymorph moon spells.

Similarly, healing current should mirror the Wild Bolt spell. A useful, yet regulated healing spell for storm, would be a spell which costs 2 pips to cast, instead of 4. I know Healing Current says 3 pips, but in practical application, will generally eat 4 pips (because most gear allows for high pip chance at higher levels).

So, my suggestion here is to give healing current the exact same odds/percentages as Wild Bolt, at the same pip cost, with the same accuracy enchantment card restriction.

So in conclusion, if these changes are made,
Storm will have two unique, useful spells, which have restraints about them that make things fair. This removes the element of chance a bit and puts the cards within the realm of strategy, more or less. Casting these spells would be like flipping a coin, but when they're successfully cast, taking the chance would have at least been worth it. It is also nicely symmetrical.

Much thanks for reading, please do reply and let me know if you found my suggestions to be useful.
- Seth MoonShade
Thanks Seth for pointing this out, and for the suggestion. I'm having our team take a look.