Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance Shield

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 08, 2009

Hello,
We would like to see a shield created for the balance school. This is very evident in terms of the arena. Since a balance shield does not yet exist and there are very limited options to offer protection against balance attacks too many people take advantage of this to obtain easy wins in the arena. We need to level the competition playing field by creating this kind of shield. No more or no less protection than say an ice shield or a fire shield. I hope you guys develop this real soon.

Thanks.

Administrator
Recently The Friendly Necromancer posted the following quote from yours truly.

The balance of Balance

The Magic of Balance is harmony and finding equality in all things. It draws on elements from all of the other schools, incorporating bits and pieces of those other energies to fill in the spaces between those schools. It has heals like Life, minions like Myth, curses like Death and elemental damages.

The Balance spells aren't the most accurate or the most powerful, but the reason they are interesting and different is because they don't have easy counters. Much like Mr. Miyagi's Crane technique, one of the benefits of Balance is that there is no defense against it.

Balance Wizards have a little bit of everything, which allows them to surpass most monster resistances, heal themselves a little bit, and buff players. One of the best advantages to Balance is it has the ability to change the rules of the game by giving PIPs, increasing PIP chance, reshuffling, and altering the accuracy and damage of teammates and opponents.

community@wizard101.com
Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
There are many problems with those statement. The majority of Balances attacks do not "draws on elements from all of the other schools." Only 2 spells, Elemental Blast (a random ... read NON-harmony ... attack from either Ice, Fire, or Storm) and Hydra. Both of which aren't even worth using against an elemental monster (Elemental Blast because you are just as likely to get an attack as the monster's school, thereby triggering their resistances and lowering your damage, and Hydra because one of the attacks is going to be of their school and thereby lowering the damage dealt).

As far as the Elemental minion, that too is NON-harmonious, because it is completely random in which minion you will get. This, together with Elemental Blast, is Chaos not Harmony.

Because of the severe handicap of Balance's elemental spells, the Elemental Blades and Elemental Traps are pretty much worthless to him. There is absolutely no reason to have these take up space in your deck on the very slim chance that your Elemental Blast or Hydra will show up after you have cast these.

Balance does not have any Spirit attacks, thereby also making the Spirit Blades and Spirit Traps useless to him.

There is not a single school type that a Balance attack will get a boost of (keep in mind, I've already discounted the elemental attacks), and the only defense against a Balance attack is the Tower Shield ... something that takes 5 training points to acquire because you have to progress up the Ice spell list. This for the all-important defense that every wizard needs. And yet, you hand out the elemental and spirit blades and traps as well as the Reshuffle, to any wizard with a training point ... no need to put any more points into Balance to actually reach it.

However, when Balance is fighting a Balance monster, that monster has a rediculously high resistance value to your Balance spells ... ranging from 40-85% resistance! But no ... let NOT give ANY defense to the Balance wizard against Balance!!!!!

Six worlds that the wizard needs to conquer the enemies (I don't care about PvP) and save. And the Balance wizard is sent out without defenses to his own kind.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
Hello,
We would like to see a shield created for the balance school. This is very evident in terms of the arena. Since a balance shield does not yet exist and there are very limited options to offer protection against balance attacks too many people take advantage of this to obtain easy wins in the arena. We need to level the competition playing field by creating this kind of shield. No more or no less protection than say an ice shield or a fire shield. I hope you guys develop this real soon.

Ridiculous. I hardly see the need for a "Balance" shield when all you really want it for is a single spell. Judgement is not as easy to use as you may think...especially in the Arena. Tower Shield and Weakness spells are your friends and should be in any PvP deck anyway.

Defender
Aug 12, 2009
Preacher7719 wrote:
There are many problems with those statement. The majority of Balances attacks do not "draws on elements from all of the other schools." Only 2 spells, Elemental Blast (a random ... read NON-harmony ... attack from either Ice, Fire, or Storm) and Hydra. Both of which aren't even worth using against an elemental monster (Elemental Blast because you are just as likely to get an attack as the monster's school, thereby triggering their resistances and lowering your damage, and Hydra because one of the attacks is going to be of their school and thereby lowering the damage dealt).

As far as the Elemental minion, that too is NON-harmonious, because it is completely random in which minion you will get. This, together with Elemental Blast, is Chaos not Harmony.

Because of the severe handicap of Balance's elemental spells, the Elemental Blades and Elemental Traps are pretty much worthless to him. There is absolutely no reason to have these take up space in your deck on the very slim chance that your Elemental Blast or Hydra will show up after you have cast these.

Balance does not have any Spirit attacks, thereby also making the Spirit Blades and Spirit Traps useless to him.

There is not a single school type that a Balance attack will get a boost of (keep in mind, I've already discounted the elemental attacks), and the only defense against a Balance attack is the Tower Shield ... something that takes 5 training points to acquire because you have to progress up the Ice spell list. This for the all-important defense that every wizard needs. And yet, you hand out the elemental and spirit blades and traps as well as the Reshuffle, to any wizard with a training point ... no need to put any more points into Balance to actually reach it.

However, when Balance is fighting a Balance monster, that monster has a rediculously high resistance value to your Balance spells ... ranging from 40-85% resistance! But no ... let NOT give ANY defense to the Balance wizard against Balance!!!!!

Six worlds that the wizard needs to conquer the enemies (I don't care about PvP) and save. And the Balance wizard is sent out without defenses to his own kind.

I couldn't agree more! All schools EXCEPT Balance get their own shield for free, but if Balance wants to have theirs' they have to waste 5 training points to get it!

Also Balance does not have a prism as it doesn't have an opposite energy to cause a boost on an opposing Balance creature. This makes it the WORST in-school battle of all of them. You can't use a straight Balance school energy spell on the creature because it will resist it. So you only have choices(within your school) of using either Elemental Blast, which is like a lottery as to if you will be "lucky" enough to get the Storm or Fire attacks to hit, as the Ice attack is so much weaker than the other two! Or you can use Hydra, which to get any kind of high hit with takes both luck and LOTS of time. You can use Elemental blades and traps to boost either attack(and like it was already said you have to be lucky enough to have all this show up in your hand to begin with,) but especially with Hydra, at those higher levels....it really isn't enough! If you want to hit hard with Hydra you have to add even more traps and blades and you could actually end up having to add up to 6 more traps(or more if you have a friend with curse traps) to really get a good hit with it! And then you sit there and pray that your Balance creature opponent doesn't use his/her elemental shields!

I have had a Balance Wizard for quite some time and I had almost deleted her at one point because she was so much more frustrating to use as well as so much weaker, and with so much more fizzle than ANY of my other wizards....and yeah, I do have every elemental school that is said to be so bad on fizzle but most of the time they are not near as bad!

I have 8 wizards, 5 of which are Grands, one is a second of a school I already had(Storm, because I enjoyed it so much) and I am working on her currently. Another one I have is a second Ice which I only work on when one friend is on and that is rare. I don't have a Myth wizard because they really are awful at higher levels(Dragonspyre levels, Myth is ok until you hit DS, and I don't PvP so I don't need it for that) and really need too much help and I like to solo as much as I can usually.

My Balance wizard is a Master and near level 44 currently, but those last few levels came very slowly as I had taken a break from using her at all for a month or two. I came back to her with a new plan for her deck and restructured her schools so that she now has Life only to Satyr and Death to Feint. The Feint helps greatly....most of the time. But against Balance creatures it's still a nightmare to use her.

I stopped my Balance Wizard before the Tree of Life dungeon in MooShu and decided to take her to Grizzleheim for a while so she could level up a little there(with the lower level stuff she hadn't done at all yet,) as I do not think she will stand a chance at her current level in DS. I want to get her to at least 45 before I take her to DS so I can give her better gear at least. And Tree of Life is awfully close to getting to DS, really just two more battles after that with the Jade Oni and Cyrus Drake. I will probably have her run Tree of Life at least twice to get more XP when I do that. Unfortunately her next quest in GH is with Jotun, which will be a nightmare, so I will have to get help with that, and/or maybe I will go find some dungeons I can do again to level her up some more first.

I don't even use the Elemental Minion because they tend to get in the way and break my traps with weak spells. I still only use the Mander Minion and that is because he actually does help, just like his name says. Once in a while he will attack, but honestly it's easier to help him make his attack matter than it is to make a weak elemental attack work. I have made my Mander hit with his Locust Swarm at over 1100, and that's not so bad, even though I can hit a lot harder with Judgment. But it's also rare that the Mander Minion attacks as compared to how often he helps me out. Yes, he only has 300 health and will most likely die within the first attack or two on him, but he is cheap enough, pip-wise, to call on a replacement after that....unlike the Elemental Minions.

Anyway, I do think that the Balance shield should at least be made available as easily as the shields for other schools. It would leave Balance wizards the option to buy higher level spells of the schools they already are taking as secondary schools and then MAYBE they would actually stand a chance against other Balance creatures, using those other school attacks. This would make the actual adventure of the game much more enjoyable!

PvP is a whole other thing and like I said; I don't do that, so I am not getting into that discussion, nor am I talking about using this wizard in those type of battles.

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
And if you don't do a shield for Balance, at least make a prism for us. We all know that Balance is suppose to incorporate "the gaps" from the elemental schools (even though the majority of Balance attack cards are not elemental in nature ... see my post above).

And we already know that Balance monsters are partially weak against the spirit schools (Life, Death and Myth).

So why not have a Balance prism called Spirit Prism that will convert the damage our non-elemental-based cards into a spirit damage?