Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

All About Wild Bolt: A Lengthy Explanation

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It has come to my attention that many of the wizards around the spiral are upset or confused about the most recent changes to the spell Wild Bolt. Merle, the Professors, and I felt that some clarification was necessary for why these changes were made even though they were deemed unpopular with the community via the poll taken. I will attempt to explain even though it is NOT my school of focus (Halston was able to fill me in on the details in between tinkering with his newest invention)...

The different schools of magic in The Spiral are balanced around potential damage output relative to fizzle rates (for example, storm snake does WAY more damage than frost beetle, but frost beetle has a higher % chance to hit). This is matched up with other effects such as AoE, DoT, Charms, Wards, and even gear potential in an attempt to make the classes all balanced against each other (for example, sandstorm does way less damage than other rank 4 single target spells because it hits all targets).

The problem is that this system starts to break down when through the natural progression of gear and spells one can get the effective accuracy of a spell like Wild Bolt close to 100%. When combined with the high power pip chance that most wizards in Celestia posses this results in a spell that can be cast almost every round and do 1000 damage. At this level you have spell which is arguably better than Leviathan, and that is not only unbalancing but was never the purpose of the spell.

Wild Bolt was always intended as being the “Hail Mary” of spells. A spell used in desperation to win a duel with a low probability of success. It unfortunately turned into an uber spell with a very high probability of success. This change was intended to bring the spell back to its original purpose.

To specifically answer some of the main questions we're seeing...

Q: Why didn't you just make Wild Bolt immune to accuracy increases or cap at a certain %?

A. We really try to avoid at all costs creating spells that have exceptions to fundamental rules in our system, so we didn't want to make this ONE spell's accuracy unable to be boosted. We don’t have any spells in the game with an accuracy cap and it would feel weird to have one spell that exists outside the rule set in this regard. In addition, it would be confusing to more novice players who are still getting used to the game, and just in general, we find simplifying the rules works better than making thing more confusing and technical.

Q. Now that the spell doesn't fizzle, but casts at a lower amount of damage, it eats up buffs! Did you consider this in the design?

Yes, the fact that it eats up 2 pips and uses up buffs like feint 100% of the time was considered in the balance. We had originally considered making 5 or even 10 different potential damages for this spell in order to make it match up with the original base probability of Wild Bolt. That probability being that it does big damage 10% of the time. We decided to go with a much higher probability ( 33% ) because of the point that you are mentioning above. Having the spell hit for 10 damage and use up your traps and blades is really rough, but as mentioned previously, that is the purpose of this spell. It was never designed to be a spell that you use as a staple of your spell deck, but instead as a last ditch effort for victory. By switching the spell over to give you a 33% chance for massive damage we feel it has returned to what its goal was.

Q. I swear that I get 10 more often than not, and monsters get 1000 all the time! Are the spells any different? Is it equally as likely to be 1000 as it is 10?

Well actually, if you do a dance emote right before combat and the game clock is at a multiple of 5 then... just kidding - it’s exactly 33.3% for players and mobs. Same chance to get each outcome. Let us put that superstition to be right now. If you're finding anything else, you might want to get a lucky charm.

Q. Why the change all of a sudden? Is it because of PVP? Celestia?

Wild bolt has actually been on our hit list for a while (even before Celestia and level 50+ combat changes), but we wanted to take the time to think through a change that would be both balanced, but still within the spirit of the spell (it's very unique and we didn't want to take that away). What took the cake is some of the enhancements that brought up the accuracy so much that it was reliably hitting for 1000. That was never intended and obviously needed to change.

While it's absolutely true that it was a hot button topic in PVP and initially brought to our attention in that capacity, we feel that the imbalance wasn't only in the arena (especially after the level cap increase). We as a team would not simply make a global change to a spell that worked fine in PVE but was broken in PVP. However, that was not the case, and hence why we made the change to the spell that we did.

In summary, we far far far prefer to buff rather than nerf classes. We just really had our hands tied on this one. We’re sorry we had to make the change and we know it stinks to lose some power but we are always reviewing class balance. That's the wonderful thing about an MMO that's constantly updated - we always have a chance to make changes when they're appropriate.

I hope this answers more questions than it raises, and we just wanted to address this in more detail as it is a heavily discussed topic on the forums lately!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Professor Falmea wrote:
It has come to my attention that many of the wizards around the spiral are upset or confused about the most recent changes to the spell Wild Bolt. Merle, the Professors, and I felt that some clarification was necessary for why these changes were made even though they were deemed unpopular with the community via the poll taken. I will attempt to explain even though it is NOT my school of focus (Halston was able to fill me in on the details in between tinkering with his newest invention)...

The different schools of magic in The Spiral are balanced around potential damage output relative to fizzle rates (for example, storm snake does WAY more damage than frost beetle, but frost beetle has a higher % chance to hit). This is matched up with other effects such as AoE, DoT, Charms, Wards, and even gear potential in an attempt to make the classes all balanced against each other (for example, sandstorm does way less damage than other rank 4 single target spells because it hits all targets).

The problem is that this system starts to break down when through the natural progression of gear and spells one can get the effective accuracy of a spell like Wild Bolt close to 100%. When combined with the high power pip chance that most wizards in Celestia posses this results in a spell that can be cast almost every round and do 1000 damage. At this level you have spell which is arguably better than Leviathan, and that is not only unbalancing but was never the purpose of the spell.

Wild Bolt was always intended as being the “Hail Mary” of spells. A spell used in desperation to win a duel with a low probability of success. It unfortunately turned into an uber spell with a very high probability of success. This change was intended to bring the spell back to its original purpose.

To specifically answer some of the main questions we're seeing...

Q: Why didn't you just make Wild Bolt immune to accuracy increases or cap at a certain %?

A. We really try to avoid at all costs creating spells that have exceptions to fundamental rules in our system, so we didn't want to make this ONE spell's accuracy unable to be boosted. We don’t have any spells in the game with an accuracy cap and it would feel weird to have one spell that exists outside the rule set in this regard. In addition, it would be confusing to more novice players who are still getting used to the game, and just in general, we find simplifying the rules works better than making thing more confusing and technical.

Q. Now that the spell doesn't fizzle, but casts at a lower amount of damage, it eats up buffs! Did you consider this in the design?

Yes, the fact that it eats up 2 pips and uses up buffs like feint 100% of the time was considered in the balance. We had originally considered making 5 or even 10 different potential damages for this spell in order to make it match up with the original base probability of Wild Bolt. That probability being that it does big damage 10% of the time. We decided to go with a much higher probability ( 33% ) because of the point that you are mentioning above. Having the spell hit for 10 damage and use up your traps and blades is really rough, but as mentioned previously, that is the purpose of this spell. It was never designed to be a spell that you use as a staple of your spell deck, but instead as a last ditch effort for victory. By switching the spell over to give you a 33% chance for massive damage we feel it has returned to what its goal was.

Q. I swear that I get 10 more often than not, and monsters get 1000 all the time! Are the spells any different? Is it equally as likely to be 1000 as it is 10?

Well actually, if you do a dance emote right before combat and the game clock is at a multiple of 5 then... just kidding - it’s exactly 33.3% for players and mobs. Same chance to get each outcome. Let us put that superstition to be right now. If you're finding anything else, you might want to get a lucky charm.

Q. Why the change all of a sudden? Is it because of PVP? Celestia?

Wild bolt has actually been on our hit list for a while (even before Celestia and level 50+ combat changes), but we wanted to take the time to think through a change that would be both balanced, but still within the spirit of the spell (it's very unique and we didn't want to take that away). What took the cake is some of the enhancements that brought up the accuracy so much that it was reliably hitting for 1000. That was never intended and obviously needed to change.

While it's absolutely true that it was a hot button topic in PVP and initially brought to our attention in that capacity, we feel that the imbalance wasn't only in the arena (especially after the level cap increase). We as a team would not simply make a global change to a spell that worked fine in PVE but was broken in PVP. However, that was not the case, and hence why we made the change to the spell that we did.

In summary, we far far far prefer to buff rather than nerf classes. We just really had our hands tied on this one. We’re sorry we had to make the change and we know it stinks to lose some power but we are always reviewing class balance. That's the wonderful thing about an MMO that's constantly updated - we always have a chance to make changes when they're appropriate.

I hope this answers more questions than it raises, and we just wanted to address this in more detail as it is a heavily discussed topic on the forums lately!
Dear Falmea. Also i want to bring a very important thing to your attention. Almost every school except life now has an accuracy boost from level 58 clothes. Storm has the most which is not right when life is suppose to and fire has the second most. In my opinion I think life should get at least +5% from clothes for level 58.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, I was not going to post a response to this message, but I decided to anyway!

For once, I would like to thank you, for taking the time to finally make a comment on the change to WildBolt! Even stating the fact that you had to go against the poll that was taken.

I am sure, if any of you had read the posts, that you know my stands and views of the change to Wild Bolt.

I Do understand why the change was made and why it was necessary. It is not my place to develope spells or make this game, in my opinion, KI has done an excellent job with this game!

Therefore, knowing that I was firmly and aggressively against the change to WildBolt, and with the post officially from KI, I will now gracefully accept the change.

I know what the new bolt can do and we may not have heard the "End" of the complaints on Wild Bolt, but atleast we finally got an explanation and reason for the change without popular vote!

So, thank you KI, thank you for at least giving us that!

Defender
May 17, 2009
I would be more ok with it if you at least took out the 10.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
this is just ridiculous. why should they make the spell 10,or 100, or 1000. do yo understand that it is one of the strongests spell in the game and at the same time the weaker spell in the game. hitting 10 the something good. any wand can hit higher than that. why you didnt give us another spell? a dot spell or something useful.

Defender
May 17, 2009
Why would you have a poll if you weren't gong to do what it wanted in the first place?

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
Armiger
May 10, 2010
bravevline wrote:

Dear Falmea. Also i want to bring a very important thing to your attention. Almost every school except life now has an accuracy boost from level 58 clothes. Storm has the most which is not right when life is suppose to and fire has the second most. In my opinion I think life should get at least +5% from clothes for level 58.

Ok, not even sure why you posted this here! But let me give you a nice little response. I wont degrade you for your thinking or anything.

Life, Death, and Balance get pips on their 58 gear clothing! Not accuracy! Show me where Death gets accuracy on their 58 gear? If you want more accuracy on their clothing, craft the level 55 gear! That has accuracy! or Get a pet that has life shot, or Sure shot! They have accuracy. But don't come here on a totally different topic and say this or that is unfair! As I keep telling people, think and do a little research before you post!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2010
Why not make wild bolt 250, 500, 1000. Isn't the whole point of storm school power (damage)? Unlike many of the other schools, storm cannot get around shields so we have to find clever ways of winning, which inevitably leads up to power and mutated storm elf ( which is STILL bugged, only going 2 rounds instead of 3). I understand trying to have balance in the game, but where is balance when now everyone can hit major damage?

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
This is a step in the right direction Professor Falmea. it is refreshing to see a detailed response to our concerns about the changes to wild bolt.

From your expanation given, I fully understand that wilt bolt simply could NOT remain as it was.

it would be expedient for KI to adopt a similiar approach-infuture- regarding "hot topics".

Thank you

Logan frost,

New idea for the next world, please read: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50/26347.ftl

Defender
May 17, 2009
Also, if you didn't want to make any spell unique to the rules, why make death's drain spells unenchantable? Not wanting a spell to be unique is not good enough for us wizards KI. Give us a good reason please.

Administrator
Just a quick note - thanks to everyone for being very diplomatic and calm on what could potentially be a heated debated. Good thing I can stand the fire well ::grin::. We'll work on getting information like this out there when we can on hot topics.

maxitola2009 wrote:
Also, if you didn't want to make any spell unique to the rules, why make death's drain spells unenchantable? Not wanting a spell to be unique is not good enough for us wizards KI. Give us a good reason please.

Our designers are looking into this one as well. I can't promise a change for certain, but I can promise that we plan to re-evaluate for an upcoming milestone.

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Professor Falmea wrote:
Just a quick note - thanks to everyone for being very diplomatic and calm on what could potentially be a heated debated. Good thing I can stand the fire well ::grin::. We'll work on getting information like this out there when we can on hot topics.

maxitola2009 wrote:

Our designers are looking into this one as well. I can't promise a change for certain, but I can promise that we plan to re-evaluate for an upcoming milestone.

Ok, since you responded to him, on this! I will add in my 2 cents, if that is ok!

First, I completely agree about Death's spells should be enchantable via gargantuan! But, I also have to step in and add in that Power Nova should also be given this same consideration!

Other than that KI, you are doing a remarkable Job and keep up the great work! Thank you for showing us that you are listening and do care what we think, say, and feel!

It really is appreciated!

Adherent
May 20, 2010
rmperrez wrote:
Why not make wild bolt 250, 500, 1000. Isn't the whole point of storm school power (damage)?

I believe it's too strong as it is. Here's why:

The spell hits for 10, 100, or 1000 damage. Assuming it does so equally for each, that's an average ("mean" for the statisticians) damage of (1,000 + 100 + 10)/3 or 370 damage. Lightning Bats only hits for 245-265. So Wild Bolt already hits for 100 more damage than the next strongest 2-pip spell in the game.

Unless the 1,000 hits much less frequently than the 100 or 10 do, it should be scaled down to 10, 100, 700 to bring it into line with what Lightning Bats does, or on the following percentage chance:

10 40%
100 40%
1000 20%

Using that percentage would allow it to do ((.4 * 10) + .4 * 100) + .4 * 1000)) or 244 worth of damage, which is more in line with Lightning Bats.

If percentages similar to this are already in effect, then disregard this suggestion.

For the record, I have never been in a PvP match on any wizard, nor do I intend to. I'm not interested in PvP. Also, I've managed to get to "Legendary" on my Storm wizard without ever once using Wild Bolt (in either its 10% or 70% varieties) in combat. My suggestions are made to balance the game, not out of any personal gain or loss for me.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I kinda zoned out on the post proffesor Falmea! Well, I DO have the attention span of a squirrel! Haha just kidding, nice post proffesor!

Nathan Bluesinger Level 60 Legendary Thaumaturge,
Wolf HawkBreaker Level 30 Magus Sorcerer
Dustin NightBlade Level 43 Master Necromancer
And!, Angel Fire Level 7 Apprentince Pyromancer

hehe allot of names! :D

Armiger
May 10, 2010
colagada wrote:
rmperrez wrote:
Why not make wild bolt 250, 500, 1000. Isn't the whole point of storm school power (damage)?

I believe it's too strong as it is. Here's why:

The spell hits for 10, 100, or 1000 damage. Assuming it does so equally for each, that's an average ("mean" for the statisticians) damage of (1,000 + 100 + 10)/3 or 370 damage. Lightning Bats only hits for 245-265. So Wild Bolt already hits for 100 more damage than the next strongest 2-pip spell in the game.

Unless the 1,000 hits much less frequently than the 100 or 10 do, it should be scaled down to 10, 100, 700 to bring it into line with what Lightning Bats does, or on the following percentage chance:

10 40%
100 40%
1000 20%

Using that percentage would allow it to do ((.4 * 10) + .4 * 100) + .4 * 1000)) or 244 worth of damage, which is more in line with Lightning Bats.

If percentages similar to this are already in effect, then disregard this suggestion.

For the record, I have never been in a PvP match on any wizard, nor do I intend to. I'm not interested in PvP. Also, I've managed to get to "Legendary" on my Storm wizard without ever once using Wild Bolt (in either its 10% or 70% varieties) in combat. My suggestions are made to balance the game, not out of any personal gain or loss for me.

Yes, I do not think 250, 500, or 1000 would be acceptable at all, unless we went back to 10 or 20% accuracy! So, that would be silly!

However, I do not agree with changing the percents of what wildbolt hits, as Colagada suggests. Considering that it is still only 70% accurate, and the 2/3's of the time it hits for 100 or less, wasting 2 pips!

One of the reasons I said I would accept the change and leave the subject alone. But, I also said, there will always be people complaining both ways! Sorry, but they should leave well enough alone, otherwise, they might as well just revert back to the old wild bolt, since people will whine no matter what they do!

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
I just want to thank you for your continued attempts at keeping things balanced.

The balance is what makes makes PVP fun. I have played numerous games where the min/maxers find loop holes, gear advantage, etc and soon every one is a carbon copy of each other because that is the only chance you have at winning.

In pvp I see all sorts of combinations and they all have good chances at winning.

I have never seen a game where everyone is happy, so if your analysis says it is balanced, then so be it. No problem with checking in on things, but don't give in to complaining so that schools get stronger than others.

Thanks again!

Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the indirect reply to my comment in the gregrose WB forum you answered EVERY question I had about the card but I still dont understand why you can't cap the card some cards right now confuse me like beguile earthquake and steal and remove cards. Just put in the card 10% accuracy 30% cap and enchantments only to go beyond that (or not) but to stop confusion put in one of those teacher notices and have halestorm explain the card and how it works. And if released pop up to every storm wizard. Because being a storm wizard anything with the SLIGHTEST chance of 10 damage isn't worth the effort. And looking at it from my balance low lvl warlord storm now is almost impossible. And pose little help or pvp chance of winning because a card was changed for a reason not because of them or there lvl. So if it is changed low lvl pvp will return to what it was and high lvl pvp will still be balanced AND storm wizards getting the card will not be confused in the future when they take on the celestian front and accuracy being restricted.

Explorer
Jan 04, 2011
One of the most dangerous thing to an Online Multi-Player game is "user-pressure". Game designer by profession knows how to balance a game; at least more so than a run-of-the-mill player.

Wild Bolt used to be a 2 pips spell that dealt 1000 damage... If we think about it for a minute without considering how it "weakens" our school, we will realize that this is FAR more powerful than any other spell in this game.

Some people suggest that the 10 be taken out of the spell and Wild Bolt will deal 100 or 1000 damage... Do you realized that means an average of 550 damage? In fact, even with 10, 100, 1000, it deals an average of 370 damage ! Players need to consider the implication of what they are asking instead of only thinking in one direction (what they want). If you don't like doing 10 damage 33% of the time, then use Storm Shark !

The spell need to do 1, 10, 100, 1000 damage, it would be doing 1111/4 average damage which is more in line with the other spells (278 damage). Also, people doesn't seem to understand that doing 1000 damage in one shot has SECRET advantages that doing 200 damage in 5 casting don't have. It's called first-strike advantage. Everyone knows that going first in PvP is a big advantage. Did they also consider that doing 1000 damage in one shot is more advantageous than doing 250 in 4 castings? Even the minor psychological advantage that "You are never safe against a 2pips Storm" is generally more powerful than 50-100 more average damage.

In summary, not only should the spell not be buffed... EVEN AS it stands, it's still slightly overpowered if used correctly. Please don't give in to the general populations' whining and do the math on the spell. People who whine does see the long term effect of their whining. Imagine if Wild Bolt is unchanged and PvP gets dominated by Storm... People start to quit and the game start getting smaller and smaller and then the whiners quit wondering "Hey... what went wrong?"

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
There is one tinsy winsy problem (request)

Could diviners get at least 200 more health points? we are getting defeated out there! Unfortunately, storm was suppose to be the strongest school but since Celestia came out and critical, gargantuan, etc was introduced, storm is no longer the strongest.

Any top PVP duelist will tell you that Fire is the top school on PVP with Ice right on its heels. Even myth is in better shape than storm now. Diviners are probably somewhere between 4th and 5th.

We'd like a little more health please. I mean we are legendaries and barely have 2300 health! Even Master wizards from other schools have more health than that!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Yingu wrote:
One of the most dangerous thing to an Online Multi-Player game is "user-pressure". Game designer by profession knows how to balance a game; at least more so than a run-of-the-mill player.

Wild Bolt used to be a 2 pips spell that dealt 1000 damage... If we think about it for a minute without considering how it "weakens" our school, we will realize that this is FAR more powerful than any other spell in this game.

Some people suggest that the 10 be taken out of the spell and Wild Bolt will deal 100 or 1000 damage... Do you realized that means an average of 550 damage? In fact, even with 10, 100, 1000, it deals an average of 370 damage ! Players need to consider the implication of what they are asking instead of only thinking in one direction (what they want). If you don't like doing 10 damage 33% of the time, then use Storm Shark !

The spell need to do 1, 10, 100, 1000 damage, it would be doing 1111/4 average damage which is more in line with the other spells (278 damage). Also, people doesn't seem to understand that doing 1000 damage in one shot has SECRET advantages that doing 200 damage in 5 casting don't have. It's called first-strike advantage. Everyone knows that going first in PvP is a big advantage. Did they also consider that doing 1000 damage in one shot is more advantageous than doing 250 in 4 castings? Even the minor psychological advantage that "You are never safe against a 2pips Storm" is generally more powerful than 50-100 more average damage.

In summary, not only should the spell not be buffed... EVEN AS it stands, it's still slightly overpowered if used correctly. Please don't give in to the general populations' whining and do the math on the spell. People who whine does see the long term effect of their whining. Imagine if Wild Bolt is unchanged and PvP gets dominated by Storm... People start to quit and the game start getting smaller and smaller and then the whiners quit wondering "Hey... what went wrong?"

Perfect post by both the professor and Yingu!

There is an old saying, "if you don't like it, don't use it." As the professor said Wild Bolt was never intended to be a main spell, but the occasional finisher. Kraken, Leviathan, and others were designed to be the bread and butter of storm damage. It seems folks have gotten so use to Wild Bolt with maxxed accuracy that they feel that a spell has been removed from their deck or cheated out of something.

Sometimes the life of an MMO creates situations and player responses that were never designed to happen (like the open chat issue). I find it truly amazing that KI continues to engage the community on these "hot" issues instead of just nerfing a spell, item, etc and going about every day business. I have never seen this much interaction by MMO staffers and designers in a game with the community in any other game, especially a game directed towards the younger audience! Even "other" MMOs targeting this same age group are almost completely silent right now. Congrats KI/Wizard 101 for being one of the greatest games out there even during your mistakes.

Mastermind
Jan 25, 2010
Very nice, Falmea. I am proud of my professor .

Even though I despise the new Wild Bolt, I think this post was a great one.

Survivor
May 06, 2010
Is it possible to make it so that absorbs work on death spells too? I always lose in pvp because i use a full power pip absorb and a powerful wraith hits me without touching the absorb.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Yes, but this may have been a good decision for Wizard101, but in the end, us Storm Students would like to see the power put back into the card so that we don't have to power pack every play.

By this I mean, have two or three shields, blades and boosts in position before we can attack non-myth characters.

I only see this current spell working with the Myth family as it boosts.

If the initial poll said we liked the card as it stood, why the heck change it? Storm isn't as strong as it once was and drastic changes of this nature could drive people away.

Forever Storm,
LaurenDarkFlower

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
kingurz wrote:
[

Sometimes the life of an MMO creates situations and player responses that were never designed to happen (like the open chat issue). I find it truly amazing that KI continues to engage the community on these "hot" issues instead of just nerfing a spell, item, etc and going about every day business. I have never seen this much interaction by MMO staffers and designers in a game with the community in any other game, especially a game directed towards the younger audience! Even "other" MMOs targeting this same age group are almost completely silent right now. Congrats KI/Wizard 101 for being one of the greatest games out there even during your mistakes.

KingsIsle Entertainment realize the value in their customers and that is why they have continued to engaged the wizard101 community in meaningful conversations. Why do you think that wizard101 has continued to do well and now have more that 15 million players?

In order to beat the competition, you have to find your own competitive edge. Maybe you should do a marketing course. KI listens to us because they want to remain in business. It's the only way to secure the continuity and viability of the game. it would be prudent for the other MMOs to take a page of of KI's book.

KI have a vision and that vision includes input from its customers. If they continue in this thrend then wizaard101 will continue for a long time yet.

Please note that these views does not reflect the views of KingsIsle Entertainment Inc., or any of it's affiliates..