Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Accuracy and Fizzles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 30, 2013
I've been playing for years off and on, and until I started up again a few months ago, I have never fizzled with a 100% base accuracy shield spell unless it had a black mantle/smoke screen/etc. I'm not sure if that is supposed to happen, or if it's a bug. This was during a fight against Grum Foultooth in Mooshu, and I was going to cast a Myth Shield. Again, no negative accuracy charms. I've also noticed that my Death wizard has been pretty bad about fizzling on Death spells despite having +17% in accuracy boosts (which should, by assumption at least, put me at a 102% chance). I've read of people getting their accuracy above 100% and not fizzling once from like level 50+. From level 37 to 42, I've fizzled at least 4 times on Death spells that I've counted. At this point I'm not really complaining, I'm just curious if there's always a chance of fizzle no matter what the accuracy is at

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
asimpleloafofbread on Dec 4, 2018 wrote:
I've been playing for years off and on, and until I started up again a few months ago, I have never fizzled with a 100% base accuracy shield spell unless it had a black mantle/smoke screen/etc. I'm not sure if that is supposed to happen, or if it's a bug. This was during a fight against Grum Foultooth in Mooshu, and I was going to cast a Myth Shield. Again, no negative accuracy charms. I've also noticed that my Death wizard has been pretty bad about fizzling on Death spells despite having +17% in accuracy boosts (which should, by assumption at least, put me at a 102% chance). I've read of people getting their accuracy above 100% and not fizzling once from like level 50+. From level 37 to 42, I've fizzled at least 4 times on Death spells that I've counted. At this point I'm not really complaining, I'm just curious if there's always a chance of fizzle no matter what the accuracy is at
Without debuffs if your flat accuracy brings you to 100% then no, you can't fizzle. However, if a pet has accuracy the percentage is rounded so there can be a chance of fizzling even if it displays figures that suggest 100% accuracy.

I hope this helps

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Previously, once you obtained 100% accuracy, pip chance, critical etc. a slim chance still existed that you would still fizzle, gain a regular pip or not critical.

Nowadays, 100% literally means 100%, especially when it comes on to accuracy.

If it is 100%, then your fizzle chance should be 0% unless external factors decreases your accuracy.

Now, with over 100% accuracy, I'm not sure why you're fizzling. Realistically, you shouldn't unless the game has not adjusted this to lower levels (since lower levels tend to never achieve 100% of any stat until at least level 60) or it's a faulty bug.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2013
I hadn't taken the pet accuracy part into account, so that one would make sense! The game not adjusting would also make sense. I'll wait and see if it keeps happening in the higher levels as well. I'm guessing the Shield spell fizzling with no negatives to accuracy is probably a bug. Thank you for your time and replies! They're definitely helpful!

Survivor
Dec 24, 2009
asimpleloafofbread on Dec 4, 2018 wrote:
If your Death has +17% accuracy, then you are at overall 99.45% accuracy for most Death spells. Accuracy percentage bonus is not added to a spells percentage of success, rather it is calculated by multiplying to obtain a bonus amount and then that amount is added.

Let's look at a death spell like banshee which starts at 85% chance of success. Multiply the 0.85 by 0.17 to get 0.1445, which is the bonus amount (14.45%). Add the bonus to the base to get: 85 + 14.45 = 99.45%.

So, if you can raise your death accuracy to at least 18%, your bonus will increase to 15.3% and that amount will get you to over 100% on all of those 85% spells.

A more general math formula to determine what accuracy boost you need in order to be over 100%:
round up to the next integer ( (1 - (1 / spell_success_chance) ) * 100 )

*** where spell_success_chance is a number from 0 to 1 representing the percentage

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Slancer on Dec 10, 2018 wrote:
If your Death has +17% accuracy, then you are at overall 99.45% accuracy for most Death spells. Accuracy percentage bonus is not added to a spells percentage of success, rather it is calculated by multiplying to obtain a bonus amount and then that amount is added.

Let's look at a death spell like banshee which starts at 85% chance of success. Multiply the 0.85 by 0.17 to get 0.1445, which is the bonus amount (14.45%). Add the bonus to the base to get: 85 + 14.45 = 99.45%.

So, if you can raise your death accuracy to at least 18%, your bonus will increase to 15.3% and that amount will get you to over 100% on all of those 85% spells.

A more general math formula to determine what accuracy boost you need in order to be over 100%:
round up to the next integer ( (1 - (1 / spell_success_chance) ) * 100 )

*** where spell_success_chance is a number from 0 to 1 representing the percentage
Unless it has been changed in recent updates, accuracy is flat percentages, not percentages of percentages. The exception is pet talents (Eye, Shot, Sniper and Balance-It) because their 'percentage' is based on the stat bars and increases as they are filled. That means that the displayed percentage is rounded up or down to the nearest whole number.

If the spell has base accuracy of 85% then 15% in boosts will bring you to 100%. If it includes pet accuracy from Eye, Shot, Sniper or Balance-It, it may appear to be 15% boosts but could be rounded up, allowing a <1% chance of fizzling, so raising it to 16% will ensure 100%.

To find the exact percentage boost for accuracy boosts on your pet use the formula:

Eye: (2*intellect + 2*agility + power) / 400
Shot: (2*intellect + 2*agility + power) / 200
Sniper: (2*intellect + 2*agility + power)x3 / 400

Balance-It is the same as Shot.

I hope this helps