Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Norse Mythology - What do you know?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 14, 2011
Hello, young Wizards
I think (or know) that some of you, recognized some parts of Grizzleheim and Wintertusk seeming familiar with something you have read or heard before.
Well, there is a reason. It's based on Norse Mythology. Here is some of the similarities:
1. Have you seen the Bears helmets? They are Vikinghelmets.
2. Bjorn Ironclaws' description is matching the Bjorn in the Norse Mythology. Bjorn (from the mythology) was always bloody, and very threatening.
3. The top three mythologic creatures of both the Norse Mythology and Grizzleheim are Bears, Ravens and Wolves.
4. Nidavellir are in the mythology Dwarves. In the story of Grizzleheim, they can be two things, Grendels and the hall of Valor.
5. Snorri Oysterbloom is based off on the Snorri Sturluson, who believed that pre-Christian deities trace real historical people.
6. Baldur Goldpaws is based on the Baldr. Baldr isnt really much in the Norse Mythology, but he is still an important person.
7. The tree, were Grandmother Raven sits in, is Yggdrasil, the World Tree.
8. The three norns at the bottom of Yggdrasil, was the people, who spun the thread of life. When the thread was cut, their lives was over.
9. Jotun, the last boss in one of the three dungeons of Nidavellir, is based on Jotun of Jotunheim.
10. In the Norse Mythology, some less important mythologic creatures, The Jötnar (Giants, very big part of Grizzleheim and Wintertusk), The Àlfar (Elves, probably Grendels.), and Dvergar. (The Dwarves, dont know what they could be?)
There are probably many more, but these are the ones i know, feel free to edit something, and feel free to add something too.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Yes you did. One huge one. The last battle in Wintertusk is where you and your band of loveable rogues battle the four sons of Ymir to prevent the Titan from awakening.

In Norse Mythology their was two races of gods; the Aesir and the Vanir. The Aesir were considered to be cousins of the Giants, who were descended from Ymir, and of them Odin, Vii and one other had killed Ymir in order to make the Vaulted Ceiling in Valhalla, the domain of Odin. The Vanir later merged with the Aesir, but were considered foreign gods that acknowledged the superiority of Odin as the All-Father.

The three fated birds that make odd requests are the Norns, charged with the delicate balance of all life, whether it be the gods, the giants or humanity.

Myth majors: Timothy Pearlflower, Cody Soulsword, and Kane Dawnwalker

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
magnusgn wrote:
Hello, young Wizards
I think (or know) that some of you, recognized some parts of Grizzleheim and Wintertusk seeming familiar with something you have read or heard before.
Well, there is a reason. It's based on Norse Mythology. Here is some of the similarities:
1. Have you seen the Bears helmets? They are Vikinghelmets.
2. Bjorn Ironclaws' description is matching the Bjorn in the Norse Mythology. Bjorn (from the mythology) was always bloody, and very threatening.
3. The top three mythologic creatures of both the Norse Mythology and Grizzleheim are Bears, Ravens and Wolves.
4. Nidavellir are in the mythology Dwarves. In the story of Grizzleheim, they can be two things, Grendels and the hall of Valor.
5. Snorri Oysterbloom is based off on the Snorri Sturluson, who believed that pre-Christian deities trace real historical people.
6. Baldur Goldpaws is based on the Baldr. Baldr isnt really much in the Norse Mythology, but he is still an important person.
7. The tree, were Grandmother Raven sits in, is Yggdrasil, the World Tree.
8. The three norns at the bottom of Yggdrasil, was the people, who spun the thread of life. When the thread was cut, their lives was over.
9. Jotun, the last boss in one of the three dungeons of Nidavellir, is based on Jotun of Jotunheim.
10. In the Norse Mythology, some less important mythologic creatures, The Jötnar (Giants, very big part of Grizzleheim and Wintertusk), The Àlfar (Elves, probably Grendels.), and Dvergar. (The Dwarves, dont know what they could be?)
There are probably many more, but these are the ones i know, feel free to edit something, and feel free to add something too.
Music sounds Norse.

Survivor
May 02, 2009
That is the reason Grizzleheim is my favorite world (tied with Moo Shue and Dragonspyre). I LOVE the vikings, and Norse Mythology, so I like that KI made a world that has many traits to that.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2012
North mythology is EPIC :D

I love that Grizzlehiem (did i spell it right ) is based on north mythology but what do the grendels have to do with it

Survivor
Sep 17, 2011
bolitho2000 wrote:
North mythology is EPIC :D

I love that Grizzlehiem (did i spell it right ) is based on north mythology but what do the grendels have to do with it

Hi,

The poem Beowulf contains the story of Grendel and his mother. Beowulf leaves Geatland in order to find and destroy Grendel, who has been attacking the mead hall Herot. Originally, grendels have nothing to do with Norse Mythology.

But that was an excellent question. And here is your excellent answer: Not all of Grizzleheim has a part in Norse Mythology. Hope I helped!