Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hrundle Fjord, Too hard for me

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
OMG! Hrundle Fjord is so hard! I may be , but I can barely beat out a goblin because their spells are too powerful! I don't think that my strategy is bad, it's just my deck doesn't give me the correct spells when I need them. Or they cast a tower shield right before my big attack. It is very frustrating when your sitting there being killed by easy things that should be dead before they are. I tend to get critical on and , on occasion the spells, yet it is too hard!! I even use and sometimes. My friends are never on to help, and I shout for help and nobody comes. I think that the goblin's spells should be a little less powerful because I barely got the quest, and my level was too low for the amulet I got. I hate to admit that I've spent lots of money on a membership, but I just keep getting beaten. I've only leveled up once since my membership was back.

That is really all I feel I should say because of lots of people will think I am too desperate to level up, which I barely level up once in a month. I'm looking for helpful and strategy. Thanks for reading this weird yet amazing message thread!

~ Alexis Walker, level 51

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I think Wintertusk is where things really began to get harder for me to solo...as in that's where I had to really modify my deck, strategy and accept that I would die sometimes. Some of the changes I made that helped a lot as a mage were as follows.

I set up two decks for myself one for minions and another for bosses, and as much as possible tailor them for whatever specific foes I am about to fight.

The minion deck is always around 15 cards and typically looks something like this 3 shields against enemy spell type (or tower shields), 3 sun enchants, 1-2 star spells (fortitude, amplify or vengeance depending on my mood/opponent), 2-3 meteor strikes, a dragon , a fire blade, an elemental blade and a reshuffle. In the event of something that likes tower shields I might add a couple of links or fire elves to keep them from shielding (and also because elves are AWESOME!) . Also if necessary I throw in a few prisms for fire types.

The boss deck I adjust based on the boss level, its minions, etc...so there is no firm strategy there.

The main thing to consider once you start hitting places like Wintertusk, Celestia and upwards is that the smartest thing you can do in round one is to shield as much as possible. Because everything starts out casting spells like Stormzilla and other high yield spells. Once they start running out of power pips they become much easier to handle, so the first few rounds are the most crucial for survival.

Its also a good idea around this time to start sacrificing some attack power for better resistance where necessary. Having 50% storm resist at the cost of 10% attack will save you in the long run. Also if you don't have a decent pet you need to try to get one trained...pets are the difference between death and victory way too often. My favorite pet skill is energizer battery...that skill has saved my life so many times I can't imagine having a pet without it.

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
That point in questing after you finish Dragonspyre up until I am able to craft the level 56 Wintertusk gear is always brutal. For the exact reasons you mention. There are a few things you can do, farm Waterworks for better gear, get treasure cards like the spears that pierce through that tower shield, team up with other people, or what I usually do is bounce between Wintertusk and Celestia and make sure I have all of the side quests done until I hit level 56. Since I have a high level wizard with crafting, I am able to access the area of Wintertusk to buy the recipes so that is not much of an option if its your first wizard.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Thank you for the tips guys, and I recently have just finished Hrundle Fjord on a limb of 63 health on the last battle. I am buying another deck for strategy. I have leveled up since I got into Austrilund. Now level 53, I believe. It has been much more harder. One of the quests, for Hod Mindseeker, was way to hard for the area. He was casting judgements almost every turn . With a minion of (yay me, none of my prisms ever come in my deck), they beat me out until a level 65 helped me out. It was ridiculous I couldn't beat a boss with 3,000 health, alone. Once he had 3 health and he killed me, I mean come on! Compared as have beaten bosses with 8,000 to 9,000 health (Joutun). There has been more team up action for help. I also just got to Vestrilund, but somehow the minions in the fields are much easier ranging about 1,252 health.
I too modify my deck way too often for the types of bosses there are in Wintertusk. Though most of them are , I still can't beat them. I find myself also using lots and lots of treasure cards. Also, I guess I do get too ticked off when I know I should have beaten it, but I didn't. I think you (goldenoak1) are right, I need to accept I'll die sometimes. I guess I go in too confident? I have also been getting way better gear. I used to have no resist or anything because all I would look for is health boost, but now, I have more resist than usual.
Farming gear is not really my thing, but I have been doing Mount Olympus over and over lately, getting reagents, and the boots of skyfire (those really boost my stats ). I have no experience in crafting, I've only finished the Wizard city and Krokotopia crafting quests. I do have 3 other lower level wizards (28 , 11 , 3 ) only one of which can access Marleybone for Waterworks. Thanks again, I'll use these strategies, and now I'm out of characters. Wonderful!

~ Alexis Walker, level 53